1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door weather stripping

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Romer, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Rocky Mountain Cruisers have two types of Weather stripping available for sale:

http://www.rockymountaincruisers.co...=1072986945.22116/page=store_restoration.html

One is for oem at $40 and the other is a non OEM that looks differnt at almost half the price. Anyone use the cheaper kind (that they know of)? Are there other more "Value Oriented" options.

Thanks,

Ken

2. 78crzr

78crzr

I've been told that the non-OEM sucks and to spend the extra on the OEM. I'll be re-stripping my doors this spring after the repaint so I'll be able to check out the OEM out then. I think the CCOT stuff was what I was warned about.

3. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

The ones they sell is not OEM but they're "OEM style" meaning it was molded with a corner. The cheaper one seems to have a V cut in it to allow the rubber to make the 90 degree bend on top. The new OEM ones should be around $55 each at the dealer.

The el-cheapo (me) option is using front door weatherstripping from the mid-80's Toyota van (Type F) from the junkyard. The rubber quality is so good, most of the ones I find at Pick-N-Pull were still very supple and not cracked at all. The 90 degree corner is there and the excess length can be cut off at the bottom of the door. It cost me $10 for both sides.

Dave

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    Get OEM from the dealer or someone who sells OEM, not like OEM, its worth the extra bucks IMOP.

5. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Having thrown out near OEM (Ok, I still have it somewhere), because I don't like leaks in Winter or in Rain, I must say I heartily agree with John H. OEM is worth the difference. If you don't care about leaks, use some 2 dollar weatherstrip from the hardware store.

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Thanks- Sounds like OEM it is.

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I either go OEM with w/s or go really cheap home depot stuff.
    I'm on a budget right now so I can hopefully get an air locker, so Home Depot shiz it is.
    Its really not that bad, all it needs is better glue.

8. sledge916

sledge916 Media Partner

Media:
    Albums:
    I just installed cool cruisers thick weatherstriping on my 2 year resto project, awsome, way thicker than stock oem stuff, so far I have used oem on every part, emblems, lights, mirrors, you name it, this after market stuff is just plain JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But this weather stripping is great stuff, went and drove yesterday, NO leaks even with a soft top.

Sethro

9. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Way thick was my problem! It wouldn't compress properly, so it held the door open in places. Glad it worked for you.

10. offcamber40

offcamber40

I have CCOT weatherstripping on My front and rear doors. The fronts work fine, but the rears are too thick. I had to remove the lower amby door stripping just to get them to close properly until I can replace them with OEM stuff. The stripping also comes pre-made to length, and I found that they were all too long and Had to be cut and re-sealed at the seam on all the doors.. they are not a direct fit, so be prepared for a little modding on the CCOT stuff.

Mike