Does your temp gauge care about you? An easy Koso digital temp gauge install for a 2F. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
Calling my temp gauge a suggestion is a compliment. If you take the time and read the great article READ ME by @OSS (aka Outputshaft) you'll see the variations that both the wiring and the sending units can have. I've seen many 60 series temp gauges that rear wildly different, but all promise that "as long as it isn't in the red..you're fine".

That wasn't good enough for me. I drive the truck daily and the first time the temp gauge spiked due to the gas tank sending unit ground, I damn near had a heart attack. I didn't want an old school analog temp gauge screwed to the bottom of the dash. I've done that on old cars before and its not what I needed this time around. I started looking at smaller footprint items. I found that a lot of motorcycle and go kart items fit the bill for a small footprint item. I found this for cheap on amazon.

The install couldn't have been easier. I gave it a 12v switched from the fuse box, stuck it to the dash and then ran the main wire out the firewall grommet on the drivers side. I spliced the heater hose going over the back of the engine with their 16mm hose barb kit, and it was all up and running.

The gauge works perfectly and is hidden by the steering wheel spoke the majority of the time. Its not super distracting either. If they had it in green, I would have done that in a heartbeat. What it caused me to do is drive without staring at the analog temp gauge and trust the truck. It shows what is really going on and I'm happy. It's shown me trends I would have never caught with the factory temp gauge. My truck won't move the analog gauge until about 135* coolant temp and it sits perfectly in the middle at 183-187* with a 10 ohm inline resistor.

I do notice one small issue. Sometimes it will read low if I don't have the heater valve opened slightly. It depends on the weather, but its not a big deal. It will usually gain 5-7* of temp with the valve cracked. If I were to do this over, I'd put the sending unit on the upper radiator hose. Your choice of
placement may vary, but this works for me.

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

OMG! Yesterday was my very first real run in over a year, my truck started running hot. Right at the gate of the trail... So back home I limped to fix it... It turned out to be minor.. Big hose on the rad wasn't tightened down enough and I left the house without a tool bag due to my excitement. :doh: This is after All new cooling system. I was freaking out. I'm the same is you... In fact worse... I don't want another gauge anywhere... Period!

I just got one of those bluetooth battery monitors (pic below) and it works great. It's got a phone app that you open and shows you exactly how much voltage you have at all times. Why can't someone make one of these for water temps? I've been searching the web since I got this thing to see if anyone does make one. In fact... An automotive app would be great on your phone. It could have Battery Voltage, Water Temp, Oil Pressure... For those of us who want stock only. I think we're on to something here....

Before Mud and all of it's wisdom, when I had just purchased my 62 and I wasn't familiar with the whole spiking of the grounds between the fuel and temperature gauge. I had it spike red on the Interstate...Talk about catching curb, QUICK!

It went off on me on the 18 mile bridge outside of Baton Rouge. There was no pulling over. Terrifying.

OMG! Yesterday was my very first real run in over a year, my truck started running hot. Right at the gate of the trail... So back home I limped to fix it... It turned out to be minor.. Big hose on the rad wasn't tightened down enough and I left the house without a tool bag due to my excitement. :doh: This is after All new cooling system. I was freaking out. I'm the same is you... In fact worse... I don't want another gauge anywhere... Period!

I just got one of those bluetooth battery monitors (pic below) and it works great. It's got a phone app that you open and shows you exactly how much voltage you have at all times. Why can't someone make one of these for water temps? I've been searching the web since I got this thing to see if anyone does make one. In fact... An automotive app would be great on your phone. It could have Battery Voltage, Water Temp, Oil Pressure... For those of us who want stock only. I think we're on to something here....

I'm running this style of monitor also, but since the temperature is so critical I wouldn't want it to be hidden through a complex user interface.

This one comes with the sensor. It has 1/8" BSP (british standard thread) threads. What size threads are in the 2f head where the stock sensor sits? How about getting an adapter and just installing the sensor in the head? Maybe get better readings before the thermostat opens, avoid having to crack the heater valve, and avoid cutting heater hose.

I'm running this style of monitor also, but since the temperature is so critical I wouldn't want it to be hidden through a complex user interface.

"Complex user interface" haha... We fly in airplanes with extremely complex interfaces... I'm pretty sure getting the temp reading off an 85 60 to read on my phone ain't to complex. I'll ask one of my Google neighbors how hard this would be...

"Complex user interface" haha... We fly in airplanes with extremely complex interfaces... I'm pretty sure getting the temp reading off an 85 60 to read on my phone ain't to complex. I'll ask one of my Google neighbors how hard this would be...

I just don’t want to do anything to see the temp. I agree there are more complex things out there.

This one comes with the sensor. It has 1/8" BSP (british standard thread) threads. What size threads are in the 2f head where the stock sensor sits? How about getting an adapter and just installing the sensor in the head? Maybe get better readings before the thermostat opens, avoid having to crack the heater valve, and avoid cutting heater hose.

That would work well, I like that idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom