Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don`t do facebook, twitter or any of the other crap like that. I do have a smart phone that is smarter than me but it does take good pics and when help on the road I can look up tech stuff which is nice. You are getting closer on your truck Doc Looking good !!

My wifes rear sill doesn't look factory anymore but I still keep her.

:rofl: Better make sure she does not read this or you might be sleeping on the couch. . . or worse :blackeye:!!

I don`t do facebook, twitter or any of the other crap like that. I do have a smart phone that is smarter than me but it does take good pics and when help on the road I can look up tech stuff which is nice. You are getting closer on your truck Doc Looking good !!

Same here, exept for the smartphone. I like to call, not sent a text. I used to have FB for work but that is done now. Never used the other stuff.

My service sux out here where I live ( ask @65swb45 ) so I have learned to text just to have coms. My $20.00 wally world flip phone and this lap top are my only means of communication.

Glad to hear that most 40 folks are in tune with what really matters. Then again I would not have expected much else. . .

What if you modified the latches or made adapter plates that attach to the rear frame/cross member rather than the tub sill? It looks like all that matters is they are blow the bottom edge of the doors. Then you could bolt them on rather than an expensive tire carrier and you wont have to mess with your aluminum.

I think I can get away with the real estate that is my rear sill for the cushion block mount and hopefully the hook. I had thought about trying to incorporate the rear cross member but that might not work with body flex vs. the frame. Probably need to be all in on the body mounting or all in on the frame. The cushion only takes two bolts in a horizontal plane; the retaining hook takes two bolts on a slant and that may be where things get tight.

Brought out the driver side door today to work on fitment. Took about ten minutes to figure out how to get the window out. Took another ten to get all the black goo off left behind from the vapor barrier. I can just picture the engineers when they decided what to use for adhesive. . . Engineer 1: "What should we use to stick the plastic to the door under the door card?" Engineer 2: "It should be something super sticky and messy that will vex future people attempting a restoration." Engineer 1: "I know, lets use tar!" :mad:

Mounted up the door ok. Fitment looks acceptable and close to where things were before disassembly. Of course left the camera at home today so will have pictures posted later in the week.

Thanks for all the comments. . . I enjoyed the posts and old "Flipper" (my phone) feels validated!

Better make sure she does not read this or you might be sleeping on the couch. . . or worse :blackeye:!!
Hey Doc, didn't say it was bad just not factory, going on 39 years married, 3 precious little gifts and she still makes me look. And I don't mind the couch I fall asleep there a lot.

Probably going to paint the interior/floor blue and then use a rubber mat or something similar. Racer offers one on his website, there may be other sources where one can cut a suitable material to size for a homemade version.

I was getting way ahead of myself in my build and was thinking about this when considering an Aqualu tub (which Im still months away from ordering.) The flat floor is one of the most glaring things about the aluminum tub IMO and I liked CCOT's mats which had ridges molded in. They were NLA last I checked, but some searching lead me to Dee Zee and Westin mats which have ridges and can be cut to fit and fake the appearance of stamped floor sheet metal.

Another wild week around the homestead that sadly allowed for less 40 time. The greenhouse is officially open and in full swing, the lure of mushroom hunting is still strong, fruit trees need sprayed, yard work, etc.

I did move forward with a couple small projects including new fuel lines. I cut, bent, and flared new lines. Old set on the top, new lines on the bottom:
IMG_4081.jpg

Rummaged thru the misc. box of hardware and found the mounting clamps -- a little preparation and everything mounted in place like it was meant to be there. I once again utilized some heat shrink on the lines to add a little buffer between the clamp and frame. Id like to say that I used yellow for the supply line and black for the return but truth is I only had three of each color left.
IMG_4087.jpg

I also installed new battery cables that I had measured out. For what its worth the blue deep cycle battery is just there for a fit reference. I will be using a red top Optima to supply the cranking power. Military terminals and #2 wire; I thought bigger was better and the terminals will allow me to add "stuff" should I ever need to.
IMG_4084.jpg

Is it wrong that I feel good about putting something "Made in USA" on something Made in Japan??
IMG_4086.jpg

One of the other projects involved salvaging some lumber. A gas pipeline will be making its way thru the farm and in one area they cut down trees that would be in their way. Sadly, several were large walnut trees in their prime. In an attempt to make lemons out of lemonade dad and I pulled the biggest sticks of wood out and off to the side; we hope to take them up to one of the local Amish sawmills and have lumber cut from them. The biggest piece (that dad is cutting on) even looks like it could be sold for a veneer log so we may have to look into that as well (price of walnut always seems high).
IMG_4076.jpg

I am looking to Wednesday to take some time and paint the front pieces. I had a couple good weather days this week but always seemed to be stuck at work. Days I had free were in the 50s, cloudy, rainy, and not fit for using the spray gun. Hopefully that changes.

Ah, Spring.
The sound of birds chirping. . . The smell of lilacs in bloom. . . The sight of sticks in the driveway. . .
This project was waiting for me Monday after work. I had just left the house for evening appointments about 10 minutes prior and the Mrs. gave me a call to say a tree fell across the driveway. Sometimes she can over exaggerate a situation so I was thinking no big deal, Ill just push it out of the way when I get home. Turns out it was a really big Locust tree; Im glad it did not fall 10 minutes earlier!
IMG_4090.jpg

My trusty friend Stihl and I had the drive passable after a short while. I left the biggest sections in 10 foot lenghts as Locust is resistant to rot and makes great fence posts (will have to be cut up of course). Yes, that is the 40's arch enemy in the backround. . . its been a good vehicle and has even hauled a lot of Land Cruiser Parts without complaining.

I had mentioned door fitment in an earlier post. . . this is the best I was able to do with the driver side door combining the replacement frame, refurbished cowl, and aqualu tub. My vertical lines measure out perfect but there seems to be some variance across the bottom. It looks very similar if not identical to the "before" pictures so with my head scrunched back up under the dash and cheek smashed up against the brake pedal I tightened up the door hinge mounts for the final time. At least I sure hope so.
IMG_4101.jpg

I also mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking towards Wednesday for some painting. Today is Wednesday and my prediction held true. . . blue paint was sprayed. Hit the backsides first:
IMG_4099.jpg

Once that had dried enough with our 80 degree temperatures everything was flipped for the topside to get its turn.
IMG_4102.jpg

In the end things turned out well. No runs or drips; my nemesis today was not even bugs but the little dandelion fluff we all blew into the air when we were kids. There was just enough of a breeze to lift a couple of them my way. I actually picked as many as I could (dandelions fluffed) out of the grassy area behind where I was painting but there were so many more on the other side of the fence.
IMG_4104.jpg

I carted everything inside as soon as I could to get the pieces out of the elements. All part of the fun that comes with my "paint booth." A little fine sanding and some buffing compound should have things looking right. My grandpa was a body man for many years and he always told me any monkey can paint. . . it is the preparation and work before/after that makes a good paint job really stand out. I can live without perfection but I still want to be proud enough to say "I did" when someone asks "Who did your paint work?" ;)

Good looking paint job! Love that color, of course I do like various shades of blue though. At one time I had a '69 Camaro with a medium blue that seemed to change colors under street lights. Oh, and a black vinyl top also.

I see you are using a closet bypass door for a work bench. For several years I installed cabinets. I used a by-fold door and folding sawhorses for a portable workbench. Fit really good in the van, worked good, and was light also.

Don

ps- I agree with Stihl. I really appreciate quality tools. Just bought a Stihl MS 461. Was real expensive for me, but paid for with puppy sales. I now have a saw that will last for the rest of my life. Stihl forever!

Outside paint booth can be improved by running your leaf blower around the area to get rid of the fluff and floaters.

Good looking paint job! Love that color, of course I do like various shades of blue though. At one time I had a '69 Camaro with a medium blue that seemed to change colors under street lights. Oh, and a black vinyl top also.

I see you are using a closet bypass door for a work bench. For several years I installed cabinets. I used a by-fold door and folding sawhorses for a portable workbench. Fit really good in the van, worked good, and was light also.

Don

ps- I agree with Stihl. I really appreciate quality tools. Just bought a Stihl MS 461. Was real expensive for me, but paid for with puppy sales. I now have a saw that will last for the rest of my life. Stihl forever!

Thanks Don.
I had the color I wanted pictured in my mind. . . but it was difficult to translate over to a can of paint. This blue also seems to vary depending on where and how you look at it. Your Camaro sounds like a sharp looking car. . . I bet the blue and black top worked well together.
That sure is an old closet door the fenders are sitting on! As mentioned earlier I have a difficult time getting rid of things that may have another use/purpose. I even used that door as a table at a tractor swap meet last year. It is nice and light to move around but it did start to sag a little with the weight of a bunch of parts on it. The door and sawhorses put the fenders at a nice height for painting.
I think my chainsaw is only in the 200 series -- you must have the big boy version! This one has served me well for over 10 years; fits well with the Stihl brush cutter, leaf blower, etc. We are fans as well -- thanks for correcting me on my spelling!

Man that color really pops in the well-lit photos!

One of the things I like about it :) -- I just hope it will not be "too much" when the truck is all back together.

Outside paint booth can be improved by running your leaf blower around the area to get rid of the fluff and floaters.

I had tried as much environmental preparation as possible. . . sprayed down the ground several times with water over the afternoon to keep dust down, waiting for a day with little wind, etc. I removed as many as the floaters as I could but I do not think even the leaf blower would have helped me -- there is just too much "stuff" out there. I know the conditions are not ideal but I make it work and live with the results. I usually cause the paint to have more issues than the environment does anyway. . .

And on that topic I took and hour to see if I could fix some of the imperfections today. Can you tell which kick vent I corrected and which I did not?
IMG_4107.jpg

Thank goodness for sand paper, the rotary buffer, and polishing compounds. I spent most of the time on the flat areas of the bib and of course I had to test fit the mesh screen because I have the patience of a ten year old and in the words of Veruca Salt "I want to see the finished product and I want to see it now!" I believe she was wanting a Goose that would lay a golden egg (instead of wanting "to see the finished product") in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. . . anyway here are a couple pictures:
IMG_4109.jpg

Tried to catch a little more of the "shine:"
IMG_4110.jpg

Fenders will be up next and as long as I do not discover any major flaws in the finish I may even try to install them. . . but that is optimistic thinking for another day. The rest of the evening will be spent at home with a couple :beer:s and the Mrs. :princess:.

It is real easy to see which kick vent got the special treatment, and it can be seen in the second pic of the bib also. Looks real good! I like that color enough that I kind of wish that my '71 40 was that color. I learned to drive on a baby blue (a bit lighter than your color) '60 ('61?) Rambler American wagon with three on the tree and overdrive. It really lived up to the Rambler name as it could scoot.

I didn't realize I did any spelling correction. I tend to give my wife a bad time (in a good teasing way) over some of her spelling errors, but I don't usually do that to others.

I got some chainsaw gas today and fired up the moose (I think It may have just got a name) briefly today. All my older saws need a 40:1 mix. I'm going to have to set up a special gas can for the moose as it is 50:1. I got it with a 32" bar as that is the longest it will handle, but for daily use it got the 25" bar off the old 041 AV that died (50 lbs compression!). I could have really used that long bar this winter. A neighbor gave me a huge Willow tree for firewood (not the best wood, but it is heat, and it was free ((we heat with wood)) except for my time cleaning up the tree mess).

Don

Wow Doc that looks good! Your doing a really nice job man.

That is looking good !! The color is outstanding !!

I didn't realize I did any spelling correction. I tend to give my wife a bad time (in a good teasing way) over some of her spelling errors, but I don't usually do that to others.

Oh, you did not make a point to correct me Don, I think in my original post I had written "Sthil" instead of "Stihl," and you had the correct spelling in your reply. I try to have good spelling and grammar if I can help it. . . there is a girl that works in our office that is a bit lacking in that department and we always look forward to how she spells something or how she will put a phrase together (its all in good fun). So far I think my favorite is when she said "Defecation of character" vs. defamation of character. That one will probably never be forgotten.

Willow tree for firewood (not the best wood, but it is heat, and it was free ((we heat with wood)

We do a lot of heating with wood as well. . . we always say it keeps you warm as you cut it, when you stack it, and when you burn it. The farm offers up plenty of wood for burning; sometimes finding the time to get it into the storage shed can be the challenge.

Wow Doc that looks good! Your doing a really nice job man.

Looks awesome!

That is looking good !! The color is outstanding !!

Thank You, Thank You, and Thank You. I really appreciate you guys following this story as it evolves and always enjoy hearing others' opinions, questions, or comments. . . especially if they are positive!

Here is how I spent my afternoon:
A little sandpaper, water spray bottle, a fender or two, and a lot of elbow grease. . .
IMG_4117.jpg

Knocked down the majority of the orange peel with some 1200 grit paper followed by 2000 and 3000 grit. As much as I wanted to get after this project this weekend there was always something else that took priority. I was dragging by the time I finished sanding both fenders and hood aprons but glad to have them done. I found two fish eyes on one of the cowl kick vents and after sanding them down I will probably give them another coat of color (the other one was, er, dropped and chipped a corner good enough that it will get another coat as well). I was ready to head home after sanding. . . but I could not resist starting a little polishing to set up what the driver side fender will look like:
IMG_4124.jpg

I just hit the fender with the first compound and still have two more to go but it shined up quite well.
The next picture is probably one of my favorites from the entire build thus far:

IMG_4118.jpg

Cannot wait to have the same view with the fender installed. I am trying to get there. . . the Mrs. is taking a road trip this weekend so I should have some extra time to get some good progress in. You guys will be the first to know if I do!

This post will have all 40 related pictures this time. . . I promise. That does not mean I cannot tell a quick story about something else that took up my time this weekend though. Years ago (at least three) we had an Amish cabinet maker (Abe) make a cabinet set for our laundry room/half bath. Abe is the same fella that did the cabinets in our kitchen as well as other woodwork in the house and he does a fantastic job. Bad part is he works like I work on the 40; works on project A one day and then project B the next. This would not normally be a problem but when he installed the cabinets three years ago he brought the wrong style of door with him and he said he'd have to make another set. In case you have not figured out where I am going. . . I was finally able to pick up the other set of doors this weekend :). I stopped out at his place to pick them up (normally he will come out and install, but he was not sure when he'd be in the area. . .). I stopped in his office, caught up a bit, and then we went on a search for where he stashed the doors. We looked in two different buildings and I even drove him up the road to the stain/finish shop before he realized where they were. . . back in his office (where I first stopped in) and under his desk -- right where he was sitting. Anyway, doors made it home, I installed the hinges, and of course they do not fit :bang: :cry:. The center (where two doors come together) overlaps about a half inch and I am out of adjustment on the hinges. Only thing I can think to do is move the hinges but I will try and consult with Abe before I drill any new holes.

On to the 40.
I finished up the paint correction on the fenders and other parts. Never had time to repaint the kick vents -- temperature actually dropped over the last week and I even fired up the wood burner again this weekend. Calling for Frost tonight! Before I started installing the newly painted parts I double checked and tightened all bolts, clamps, and fittings. I also rechecked the engine timing and tightened down the distributor (for now). I dragged dad into the shop and had him help me bleed the brakes and clutch cylinder. While I was under the truck he made sure to point out how much faster he and grandpa bled brakes when they would do it years ago. . . he also asked a bunch of other questions like "Where did you get this part from? What year is this truck? Why did you pick this color? What are you going to do with this thing (the 40)? This sure is primitive, is there a part that goes on here?" Any many more. Love dad, but he is a button pusher and will say/ask a lot of things that get on your nerves after awhile. . . must be where I get it from. Once all the non picture worthy "invisible" work was done (pictures wont tell you if a bolt was tightened or not) I moved on to the blue parts.

Before I started bolting anything up I took the time to cut my own gaskets(?) out of an old tire tube. I could not bear to feel and hear the freshly painted surfaces grind against each other as I bolted things up; here is an example from the front hinge:
IMG_4139.jpg

And installed:
IMG_4145.jpg

Had to recently order another package of stainless hardware from @davework as my stockpile was running low -- so glad he has made this stuff available.

I mounted up the fenders and was finally able to install the ignitor, coil, VSV, etc. I told a fib in one of my earlier posts. . . instead of the red top Optima I went with the yellow top in the event I want to run more stuff than the alternator will handle. The yellow top is a combo starting/deep cycle battery that can handle extras like an inverter, fog/spot lights, etc. Doubt I will ever "need" it but nice to have the option.
IMG_4142.jpg

I routed all the vacuum lines as best I could follow from desmog posts in the archives. The only spot I did not plumb in was the choke breaker as I could not remember where to connect it. I half remember a post stating it could connect to the manifold port (A to B in the picture below) but Im not 100%. I will do some more research but if anyone can offer up some direction I am all for that too!
IMG_4143.jpg

And finally the picture that shows off the days work:
IMG_4141.jpg

Of course I had to set the turn signal on to see how it would look. I was all I could do to not bust out the fog lights.
The next priority will be getting the engine to start. I am down to three things to check off: 1. Fuel. Either use a temporary setup or get moving on the gas tank. 2. Heater Hoses. I think I will run a temporary loop under the dash vs. installing the heater box. I plan on running a small loop to bypass the rear heater anyway as I doubt I will ever drive the 40 when its that cold and I do not like the stock placement of the rear heater. 3. Fluids. Top off or add whatever liquids are still needed.

When that list is checked off I should be able to bring the engine out of hibernation. Maybe even go for a test drive! :steer:

An hour or so after work and I've crossed one to do item off the pre-start checklist. My temporary solution to running the engine without the heater box installed (thought the trans hump should go in first?).

IMG_4163.jpg

I should be able to reuse the temporary hose and cut it down into two smaller pieces to match the originals (sitting on top of the temp hose) when its time for final installation. The rear heater loop is what the final product will look like.

Archive research does suggest the carb choke breaker should connect to manifold vacuum, so I made the "A" to "B" connection pictured in the post above.

In terms of the fuel system I could not pull myself away from CityRacerLLC.com and ended up ordering a new fuel tank. The '72 truck had a poly tank and the '78 truck's tank was questionable. Ive spent a lot of time cleaning and applying tank liners to tractor tanks in the past; this time I was glad to have the option to start clean. Rebuilt carb, new fuel pump, and new fuel lines deserve a new tank, right?

IMG_4161.jpg

I may use the new tank but a temporary tank may still come into play to test run the engine.

On the topic of fluids I have used my experience, what I have available, recommendations from the manual, and hours of perusing the archives to come up with this combination:

IMG_4165.jpg

Any objections are welcome but here is the reasoning:

Rear Diff: I had several bottles of the Lucas 80/90W in the shop. It is rated GL-5 and I could not remember any brass/copper present in the rear axle so that is what I used. The rear diff will get the majority of use and thought it would be nice to have a modern product for lubrication.

Front Diff: I thought the axle bushings were brass or something similar, therefore the Brad Penn GL-4 was used.

Transmission/Transfer Case: I know I installed new "yellow" synchros in the transmission and remember brass bushings present on some of the gears so the Brad Penn GL-4 goes in both. The archives are full of discussions on the topic of GL-5 vs. GL-4 and the potential for GL-5 to attack yellow metals. . . Im sure either would do the job but the GL-4 was easy enough to acquire so in it goes.

Engine Oil: I have used Rotella 15W-40 for years in my truck, tractor engines, etc. and literally buy it by the drum and bucket. A couple years back Rotella changed the formula to deal with emissions nonsense, er I mean to save the planet, and to try and compensate the Lucas Zinc additive goes in as well for the flat tappet cam.

Antifreeze: I picked up some green stuff. Green stuff came out so I will put that back in. Did not really pick out a specific brand as I think they all come from the same source anyway. After reading the manual I am going to have to pick up a few more jugs. . . 18 liters if I read it right!!

Brake Fluid: Used DOT3 as the caps on the master and clutch reservoirs suggested.

I think that covers the most of them. As far as I am concerned/my fluids go, to counter the cooler temperatures outside I dusted off the bottle of Tennessee Fire while catching up on some fine MUD dialogue this evening.

IMG_4166.jpg

To be honest, Im not much of a drinker. I think I still have several bottles of hooch that I bought when I turned 21! That bottle of Jack has been in the cabinet for close to five years now. Im usually good for a beer a night with supper but sometimes that even knocks me out. . . I like to think that I just work hard enough and I was tired anyway ;).

Getting closer. . . goal is to have the 40 running by the weekend.

I need to visit Ohio and your 40.

I think you will find Ohio is the home to several fine 40s -- the first that I can think of is @Jdc1 's. He was very helpful and welcoming from my Day 1 of joining the forum. . . we are hoping to have a "Cruise In" of our own one of these days. Im sure you've seen his build but if you come this far do yourself a favor and check out his rig!
Visitors are welcomed but be forewarned. . . there is a chance I may put you to work in front of the blasting cabinet, moving the tub, holding a door, etc. Mom will probably try to sell you something from the greenhouse as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom