Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly, I am not sure if it is "right" or "wrong." In the picture the back of the tub is not yet secured to the frame and there is still a good gap that needs to be closed by bolting it down. As far as tub construction the rear sill is narrower in height compared to a steel tub. There is also a slant or taper from the inner floor to the outside/rear sill. I do not know if this is normal for the aqualu tub or not. I do know the ambi doors fit and closed properly before taking everything apart. One of the lingering concerns in the back of my mind from the beginning was if I will be able to properly mount the spare tire carrier. Not so much the hinges themselves (it appears aqualu has an extra reinforcement plate in those areas of the tub) but the rubber catch block and hook grabber that need to mount on the rear sill. . . I was not sure if I was going to have the real estate there to mount them without interfering with the doors opening. @White Stripe if you find time would you mind snapping a picture of the back of your tub -- from there I can see how different mine is. I may have to look into bumper mounted tire carriers if there truly is something "wrong" with my sill!

Honestly, I am not sure if it is "right" or "wrong." In the picture the back of the tub is not yet secured to the frame and there is still a good gap that needs to be closed by bolting it down. As far as tub construction the rear sill is narrower in height compared to a steel tub. There is also a slant or taper from the inner floor to the outside/rear sill. I do not know if this is normal for the aqualu tub or not. I do know the ambi doors fit and closed properly before taking everything apart. One of the lingering concerns in the back of my mind from the beginning was if I will be able to properly mount the spare tire carrier. Not so much the hinges themselves (it appears aqualu has an extra reinforcement plate in those areas of the tub) but the rubber catch block and hook grabber that need to mount on the rear sill. . . I was not sure if I was going to have the real estate there to mount them without interfering with the doors opening. @White Stripe if you find time would you mind snapping a picture of the back of your tub -- from there I can see how different mine is. I may have to look into bumper mounted tire carriers if there truly is something "wrong" with my sill!
OK so it's not an illusion, you have a slant like the pic shows. My rear sill is basically like factory. I do know that over the years aqualu refined their tubs and changed designs. It's possible you got a earlier generation tub. With that slant how do you install the lower door catch so that the doors close? I'll try and take a pic of mine next time I'm in the shop today or tomorrow for you. Also aqualu has a bunch of pics of their tubs on the website fyi.

I dug up a "before" picture prior to taking the original truck apart.
I remember the previous owner telling me he had a significant amount of money invested in the truck at the time he was selling it. . . he said he knew what it was going to take (more time/money) to finish it and it was time for him to move onto a different project. I saw the investment in the tub and perhaps some body work in the doors. . . but honestly for the amount he told me that was invested I could not see where the money had been spent. In retrospect I am thinking some of that investment may have been with the body shop (for better or worse) to get all the pieces in alignment. The picture below show the shortened rear sill with the ambi doors installed:
IMG_2194.JPG

Before I forget a piece of weather stripping is hanging from the passenger side ambi door in the picture (and breaks the clean line of the sill in the center). The driver side ambi door latches with the bottom latch as designed. . . placed on the slant of the rear sill. I do not have a picture at the moment but I do recall thinking the rear sill had been reworked as I have been working in/around the tub. The job looked professional enough that someone with some knowledge of aluminum had done the work.

The only splanation I can come up with is the rear sill was "lowered" to fit the ambulance doors. The above picture shows the doors in place with no huge gap at the top or bottom. I do not know if the hardtop sides were shortened. . . I will measure those and compare them to the '72 sides when I get a chance. There may have been some trial and error during the initial fitting process -- a peek above the driver side tub ambi door hinge reveals two extra drilled holes -- an oops vs. placement of the hinge prior to the sill being shortened.

A few more pictures from before. . . The sides, top, and front do not appear to be out of balance. . .
IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

The current plan is to move forward with what I have. . . modified rear sill and all. I had given a look at the 4PlusProducts Tire Carrier (and the tire carrier w/ cooler carrier option) but was not sure if I could pull that off and still keep my bumperettes. This option appealed to me as well to avoid drilling more body holes. I will have to give that more consideration at this point even if the bumperettes have to go :frown:.

Just more fun that comes along with taking on a project that someone else started :rolleyes:.

Personally I couldn't live with the rear sill like that. If it was a beater ya no problem. But you've put in such high quality craftsmanship and effort into the rest of the rig, it would b a shame to have the rear sill be like that. You could fab a new piece and have a mobile welder guy or something weld it in. Probably wouldn't cost much. The rest of the tub looks great fitment wise. I would probably leave the angled floor part if the doors close with it. Maybe cut the face off the sill and weld in some angle aluminum stock of the proper height and length on the face with half of it on the face and other half underneath. Just my opinion of course.

Unfortunately you can't use bumperettes with the 4 plus carrier. I asked Dave this very question about a year ago. I like that it mounts to the existing bolts, but also really like the look of the bumperettes. So for now it's stock carrier and bumper until I figure something else out.

Unfortunately you can't use bumperettes with the 4 plus carrier. I asked Dave this very question about a year ago. I like that it mounts to the existing bolts, but also really like the look of the bumperettes. So for now it's stock carrier and bumper until I figure something else out.

Dave delivered the same news to me when I inquired. Right now I think I can get away with the mounted tire carrier, but that is step "T" and right now I am still at step "A" or "B" in terms of dealing with the tub.

@White Stripe, I went back to look at the picture that I posted of the truck's backside with the modified sill. From the picture it may look like there is a gap (black line) between the rear floor and sill itself -- that is actually some form of adhesive or sealant that was applied between the two pieces. I took a picture but for some reason I could not rotate it. . . so you will have to rotate your head to see it properly. I put my thumb over the black area -- in person it does not look terrible. I was trying to figure out what turned you off about the picture and this was all I could come up with.
IMG_4060.jpg

I know this is not how the tub was designed. . . but this is what I have to work with and if all the pieces continue to fit as they should I can live with it. When I started I simply wanted to swap a Chevy I6 engine out of one truck for the proper Toyota engine. As it often happens with me the situation spiraled out of control to the point we are at now. I just want a truck I can bounce around town and a few light trails in. . . if I am kicked out of the club for a goobered up rear sill then I never wanted to be a member to begin with. I completely understand what you are saying though and I do appreciate your comments -- you speak your mind and you are direct with your words which I like.

Speaking of things getting out of control, last year I found another local project truck that started to be torn apart and the owner lost interest. Engine was pulled and partially disassembled. . . and that is how I bought it. I have been using it as a template to see how parts go back together when I did not take sufficient pictures during disassembly on mine. I gave it a look over today to see how the ambi doors line up on it compared to my before pictures. . . the center line across the doors lines up with the line on the hardtop sides in both trucks (see post #264 above). I still cannot figure out why the PO made the changes -- if he lowered the hardtop sides then I would think the hardtop itself would not line up with the windshield frame/front doors :hmm:. I am sure I will discover the answer sooner or later. . .
IMG_4056.jpg

I did some head scratching for other reasons today as well. I rummaged thru the parts pile sent along with my current truck and filled up a bin of little pieces including the wiper components, mounts for the windshield rests, and all the bolts that came with the aqualu tub kit in little plastic boxes (among other parts). Hauled them into the shop for their turn(s) at being brought back to life.
IMG_4063.jpg

I also started laying a few pieces out on the tub to get an idea of how things will fit moving forward. I better wear my skinny shoes when driving as there is not a lot of space between the trans hump and the gas pedal!
IMG_4062.jpg

There was also a special guest in the shop today. Grandma TractorDoc celebrated her 90th birthday yesterday and she stayed over at the farm for a couple days after the big party. She wanted to come down to the shop for awhile today to see what I was working on over the last few months and wanted to make sure everything was going back together correctly.
IMG_4058.jpg

She says she is pleased with my progress. She also wanted me to point out that I get my eye color from her ;).

Right now the future plan is to aim for a window to get the front pieces painted. As that is going on I will continue to work on fitment/placement of pieces in and around the tub. Sounds simple but it has my brain pulled in so many different directions it can be difficult to focus.
Every now and again I like watching the car shows on the television. . . the Monkeys down in Texas make me laugh. I have no idea how they can crank out a finished vehicle (or even paint) as quick as they do -- I know its their job, they have experience, and they devote a lot more continuous time as a team; the magic of Television also condenses everything down to a couple hours too. If they tried filming an episode of "TractorDoc Garage" it would take over a year to produce an hour episode. I can see where it gives the average guy with a couple wrenches in his garage the idea that he can do it too. . . but it works out for me because those are usually the people I get my projects from!

Hey Doc, is there any way you could get me the measurements on the hinge locations off the blue truck? I need the location of where the spare tire carrier top and bottom hinges mount. Also where the hook mounts on the sill.

Oh BTW Doc, tell your Grandma she looks great.

Are u going to paint the floor or something else?

Probably going to paint the interior/floor blue and then use a rubber mat or something similar. Racer offers one on his website, there may be other sources where one can cut a suitable material to size for a homemade version.

Hey Doc, is there any way you could get me the measurements on the hinge locations off the blue truck? I need the location of where the spare tire carrier top and bottom hinges mount. Also where the hook mounts on the sill.

Gator, I have a feeling you are asking about the '75 panel style driver side mount (have no trouble getting those measurements for you), but I found this pic courtesy of @78fj40mg in the archives for my blue truck (need to be more specific as to which blue truck:D). Cut/Pasted here because I may need it for reference myself and I spent 15 minutes trying to "refind" the topic the second time over. This is for the tube style tire carrier used on late '76-'78 trucks (from what I can gather).

upload_2017-4-17_9-6-47.png

upload_2017-4-17_9-8-34.png

I'm sorry Doc, I need them off the 75.

@gator25
I hope these will work for your situation. The bottom hinge is flush with the quarter panel. Sorry about my head shadow in the last shot. . . its all I can do to hold the tape in one hand and take the picture with the camera in the other. Yes, I still use a camera to take pictures. . . I am a technology dinosaur :zilla:.

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

Thank you so much Doc! You da man, let me know if you need pics of anything or what ever. Oh and btw I take pics with a camera to, as all I have is a flip phone.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Doc! You da man, let me know if you need pics of anything or what ever. Oh and btw I take pics with a camera to, as all I have is a flip phone.

Last week I almost put confidential pictures from work online. It appears FB has acces to every picture you take with your phone. Needles to say I deleted the app strait away. Its stupid what they can do with your privacy. They made a slideshow of the pictures I took for work.

I don't Face Chat, Myspace, Insta Book, or whatever the kids are doing nowadays. If I want to talk to someone usually I will call and try to have a conversation. Most of the time it drives the person on the other end crazy that would prefer a text. . . but I cannot bring myself to do it. If I had a smart phone Id be on MUD even more often than I am now and I would never get anything done on the 40. . . Flip Phones Forever!!

IMG_4071.JPG

Yep, I have two of 'em. One for work, the other for personal stuff.

Hey Doc,
My wifes rear sill doesn't look factory anymore but I still keep her. Buckeye club won't kick you out. I think the lines on your truck look pretty good and if the doors will close and allow for the tire carrier I would not go down a rabbit hole. btw, if you are going to use bumperettes and have a dog as a passenger I saw someone welded a flat cover on the top of the bumperettes to prevent the dogs leg getting caught when jumping out. definitely what I will do if I put em on my truck.

I don't Face Chat, Myspace, Insta Book, or whatever the kids are doing nowadays. If I want to talk to someone usually I will call and try to have a conversation. Most of the time it drives the person on the other end crazy that would prefer a text. . . but I cannot bring myself to do it. If I had a smart phone Id be on MUD even more often than I am now and I would never get anything done on the 40. . . Flip Phones Forever!!

View attachment 1443446

Yep, I have two of 'em. One for work, the other for personal stuff.

Same here, exept for the smartphone. I like to call, not sent a text. I used to have FB for work but that is done now. Never used the other stuff.

What if you modified the latches or made adapter plates that attach to the rear frame/cross member rather than the tub sill? It looks like all that matters is they are blow the bottom edge of the doors. Then you could bolt them on rather than an expensive tire carrier and you wont have to mess with your aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom