Dobinsons IMS Monotube Shocks for 80 Series - Internal resi Monotube Shocks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@lasoundguy
Awesome, I just received my Dobinsons IMS the other day. Probably mount them up Sunday. I’ve been running the yellow Dobinson shock for about 25K miles. Felt they were abrupt around town, but were amazing out of the city.
Can’t wait to here what more you have to say about the IMS.

devo

I installed IMS shocks and 3" tapered springs today. I wish I could say they rode awesome but the brakes are literally out of fluid.

With the 3" springs and 4-5" shocks, I should have about 5" up and down travel. My frame mounted bumpstop spacer is too tall and needs to be shortened by 20-25mm. The bump stop in the spring and the frame bumpstop will contact the axle at the same time and limit travel but still give 15mm of exposed shock shaft to avoid damaging the shock.

BTW, the Fox shock previously installed weighted 4.8lbs while the 66mm Dobinson came in at 9.8lbs.
1605411577509.png

4" flexicoil vs 3" tapered. The 3" tapered spring game the spring compressors a workout.
1605411980357.png

In addition, big shout out to @crikeymike The springs and shocks showed up well before I was ready to install them.

Yes, that's where the IFP really helps, as it has a little more give with small bumps and things like that, so the shock isn't fighting it as much, smoothing things out.

Do you sell the rebuild kits on these. Also what interval would you recommend rebuilding.

Do you sell the rebuild kits on these. Also what interval would you recommend rebuilding.
Yes. There is no suggested interval. If you hit 50k miles and they're still working like new, there's no reason to touch them

Dobinsons IMS.....I’m enjoying the ride!!!
These things are quite massive compared to the ole yeller ones I’ve been riding on for the last 25K. Not sure if you can measure a shock by how much it weighs but I guess it lends itself to the components that are built into this IMS marvel. I also appreciate that Dobinsons designed the weight to be unsprung. They certainly ride better but my limited time with them only speaks to that my yellow ones may have been at the end of there life cycle. Maybe a follow up review down the road, as they say!

Cheers to Dave O. and @crikeymike down there in Florida. My Fosters went down as easy as the install went!

devo

2342A328-26E5-411A-9127-614E669D67A7.jpeg

55205BB2-5670-4167-BFF2-0959ECC9414D.jpeg

B6AEC86F-8483-4701-A8A3-DE5CB2970F8F.jpeg

A2120EC2-F3AE-4BF7-941A-7FF00288A245.jpeg

8E29D816-578B-4013-B6F6-88AC5E661E8F.jpeg

Wanted to update the thread, just back from a nearly 2000 mile Thanksgiving camping road trip and the shocks were fantastic. My girlfriend commented how “something” had changed that made it so she didn’t get carsick on the highway anymore, and my son (usually carsick) also made it the whole week without an incident. The combination of tapered springs (Tour Flex from @TRAIL TAILOR ) and the IMS shocks really transformed the 80, it’s definitely more comfortable than my (stock ‘17 Pro) Tacoma is at this point. Super happy with the IMS shocks. Beat on them a bit off-road (and bounced off a very large rock that pretzeled my draglink) and found the travel, rebound, and fade resistance to be markedly better than the OMEs they replaced. I’m sure there’s even more performance to be had with the adjustable MRA shocks but as a middle ground for someone who wants to KISS, very pleased with the purchase.

Wanted to update the thread, just back from a nearly 2000 mile Thanksgiving camping road trip and the shocks were fantastic. My girlfriend commented how “something” had changed that made it so she didn’t get carsick on the highway anymore, and my son (usually carsick) also made it the whole week without an incident. The combination of tapered springs (Tour Flex from @TRAIL TAILOR ) and the IMS shocks really transformed the 80, it’s definitely more comfortable than my (stock ‘17 Pro) Tacoma is at this point. Super happy with the IMS shocks. Beat on them a bit off-road (and bounced off a very large rock that pretzeled my draglink) and found the travel, rebound, and fade resistance to be markedly better than the OMEs they replaced. I’m sure there’s even more performance to be had with the adjustable MRA shocks but as a middle ground for someone who wants to KISS, very pleased with the purchase.
That's awesome to hear, thanks for the summary!!

The rear shocks on my Cruiser are all beat up by rocks on the shock body. It would seem that the lack of protection of the polished shaft would become an issue. Do the rear shocks mount with the vulnerable polished shaft connected up high to the frame? Or am I not seeing it correctly and the body of the shocks are like the cheaper Yellow ones?

The rear shocks on my Cruiser are all beat up by rocks on the shock body. It would seem that the lack of protection of the polished shaft would become an issue. Do the rear shocks mount with the vulnerable polished shaft connected up high to the frame? Or am I not seeing it correctly and the body of the shocks are like the cheaper Yellow ones?
The monotube IMS shocks mount "upside down" essentially. The shaft goes downwards, with the rubber boot covering it down below. Dobinsons chose the rubber boot as the durability of them in taking a rock hit, absorbing it, then deflecting it seemed to work best.

The yellow shocks have a steel rod protective cover that looks similar to the main body.

The side by side photo of yellow vs IMS above is in the correct orientation for reference.

So how much bump stop extension do you recommend for the 3-5/4-5 shocks front/rear?

So how much bump stop extension do you recommend for the 3-5/4-5 shocks front/rear?
For the 0-3", no bump stop changes are necessary unless you want to keep the tires out of the fenders

For 4-5" length shocks, 1/2" extension on the front and 2" extension on the rear

For the 0-3", no bump stop changes are necessary unless you want to keep the tires out of the fenders

For 4-5" length shocks, 1/2" extension on the front and 2" extension on the rear
I have the 4-5" shocks and can confirm 2" would be ideal for max travel. I have 3" extensions and need to get some 2" square tube to make new ones.

The IMS is a beefy shock.

Fox IFP 4-5" shock
1608156745096.png

Dobinson IMS 4-5" shock
1608156793619.png

1608156814756.png

I'm running that same Fox IFP. Is the IMS a massive improvement or just meh? What coils did you pair with them, standard Dobinson?

I'm running that same Fox IFP. Is the IMS a massive improvement or just meh? What coils did you pair with them, standard Dobinson?
I had 3" Flexicoils in the front and 4" Flexicoils in the rear. My idea was that the 4" coils would handle the weight of extra gear and a bumper better however loaded up with wife, kids, and gear was sloppy and sagged. The FOX shocks did not handle the rear end weight very well and allowed a lot of bouncing.

New Dobi 3" tapered coils and IMS shocks for the rear. I haven't taken it offroad yet except for a gravel road near my house but was nicely surprised at the control and dampening in the rear. The front FOX in the front aren't bad but are "looser" than the Dobi's.

1608216379569.png

I have the Fox IFP shocks all round with a 4" lift and was less than impressed. Yes they absorb the road seams and harsh bumps better than the OME shocks they replaced but they do not control the weight of the truck very well. I have also now had 3 rear Fox shocks fail in 25k kms so am definitely looking at a more suitable shock to replace them.

What does the rebuild kit cost for these Dobsons when needed or is this a item that needs to be shipped back to be rebuild?

I have the Fox IFP shocks all round with a 4" lift and was less than impressed. Yes they absorb the road seams and harsh bumps better than the OME shocks they replaced but they do not control the weight of the truck very well. I have also now had 3 rear Fox shocks fail in 25k kms so am definitely looking at a more suitable shock to replace them.

What does the rebuild kit cost for these Dobsons when needed or is this a item that needs to be shipped back to be rebuild?
During the warranty period of 2 years, it would need to be shipped back to Miami for service or they'd replace it and send a new one. Otherwise the rebuild is basically just seals and oil.

Edit: oh and the rebuild kit (parts) will be $75 per shock.

Wow, that sucks that they blew out. Was it just the seals or something else fail in them?

Last edited:
During the warranty period of 2 years, it would need to be shipped back to Miami for service or they'd replace it and send a new one. Otherwise the rebuild is basically just seals and oil.

Edit: oh and the rebuild kit (parts) will be $75 per shock.

Wow, that sucks that they blew out. Was it just the seals or something else fail in them?
Just seals, this issue is they are not valved correctly for my weight and I think overheating. I have toyed with getting them rebuilt and re valved but I'm still stuck with a 2" shock not able to shed heat.

So many of you guys ordered the shocks, but there aren't too many reviews in here yet. Some of you care to chime in that are running the IMS now and share your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom