Dobinsons 3.5" Tapered Lift... or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m really glad you guys didn’t have any front driveline Vibrations with a 2.5 vts. However I got a lot more than 2.5 inches of lift off mine even with a 12,000 pound winch and a front bumper. Thus, with the lift I was getting a lot of vibrations and noise from the driveshaft above 55. I knew it was the driveshaft because when I removed it all the noise went away.

Initially I greased the front driveshaft which didn’t help. Then, I rebuilt the front driveshaft with new juicHowever I got a lot more than 2.5 inches of lift off mine even with a 12,000 pound winch and a front bumper.

Initially I greased the front driveshaft which didn’t help. Then, I rebuilt the front driveshaft with new U joints, but that didn’t help either. I just bit the bullet and installed a custom Tom Woods double carden front driveshaft.
View attachment 2592703
All vibrations and noises above 55 are now gone. So be careful thinking you won’t have driveshaft issues with the 2.5vts.
I got 4 1/2” of lift with my 2.5vts. One spring got warrantied and the other didn’t so I had a ton of lean. I’m back with the old spring now and it seems like I’m stuck with the 4”s of lift. What caster plates did you use? I have slees and dont have vibes until around 80 mph.

Drive shaft was bout $450, I went for the x-spline option. I looked around for a Tacoma DC shaft to retube, but couldn't find one.
Tom woods DC Toyota Drive Shaft

If anyone wants a rebuilt front driveshaft, I have one for sale now. Napa U joints.

I am running the adjustable Ironman castor bushings at 2.5 degrees. I was originally running 3.5 degrees correction setting, but it was too much according to my alignment, and I was worried too much castor was effecting the driveline vibration. I bought the adjustable bushings as I wasn't sure where I'd end up with castor. Almost everyone says they will wear out quickly, and when they do I'm probably going with EIMKeith relocation brackets and OEM bushings.
Ironman Castor Bushings Adjustable

Drive shaft was bout $450, I went for the x-spline option. I looked around for a Tacoma DC shaft to retube, but couldn't find one.
Tom woods DC Toyota Drive Shaft

If anyone wants a rebuilt front driveshaft, I have one for sale now. Napa U joints.

I am running the adjustable Ironman castor bushings at 2.5 degrees. I was originally running 3.5 degrees correction setting, but it was too much according to my alignment, and I was worried too much castor was effecting the driveline vibration. I bought the adjustable bushings as I wasn't sure where I'd end up with castor. Almost everyone says they will wear out quickly, and when they do I'm probably going with EIMKeith relocation brackets and OEM bushings.
Ironman Castor Bushings Adjustable
It’s pretty weird that you’d get vibes from that much caster. I’m always blown away by how much all of these cars differ. How much lift did you actually get from the 2.5s?

I run the 6” shocks up front with delta arms, it works well. The 6” shocks are too long for the rear springs. The spring can become completely unloaded which does nothing for you. I run the yellow 4” shocks in the rear.

I want IMS shocks now but Dobinson USA told me today that they have no plans to make IMS in the 6” version due to lack of interest.

Dob 6" rear shocks are too long? 29" extended? My 6" rear Ironman FCP shocks won't unseat a spring thats 535/545mm tall like the 3.5VT or the 2.5VT. It did get a little movement with the 6" Slee's which were 510/520mm I believe.

I thought about the shock after I asked, just assumed you had the MRR up front. Makes sense.
So for the 144/145 combo you basically running near 5" F/R total lift then? That's quite a bit so I assume your on 37's as well? I just jumped to 37's so was liking the thought of this combo with a 1" body would get me about right and maybe a bit high. I'm not running as heavy as most here though, yet...
Started thinking Slinky 3", 1" body and Icon shock mix but the supply chain on those coils aren't sounding to reliable right now. Starting to lean this direction. Having a MX background I like the thought of the 3 way Dorb's but don't hear a lot about them and how well they perform. I was shooting for 4"-4.5" but from what your saying I may be more in the 5" range.

Sorry for all the questions but Dave suggested the 6" for what I was thinking but it seemed a bit overkill to me. I do like the thought now they are a bit more extended for the 37" clearance but how does your 80 handle with the over caster? I'm about 148lbs a piece on the wheel tire combo so not liking the thought of a stiffer steering setup on top of that.

Wowzas!

LOL, yeah, heavy wheel tire combo for sure! You can feel it when driving over the 35" set I had. Probably should have done a bit more research on the weight.
With word of Slinky in limbo I'm leaning back this direction.... Too bad you cant get these either and haven't even heard a guess on in stock dates here. Feel like I'm watching a tennis match with trying to figure out a good suspension right now.... Maybe time to live with the rubbing and focus elsewhere for now...

New toy.

8697F3A6-CBD6-470D-B782-57E8D4A7C682.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom