Dobinson Lift Configuration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There was a revived thread about lift kits a short while ago that raised some questions for me about my pending order of a Dobinson lift kit for my rig.

I agree. I miss my Dobinson set up so much. You could drive 60 km per hour down a washed out logging road not spilling a drop. If they could only keep the truck level, that was my only complaint.

With a winch, bull bar and a couple times a year of camping with 6 passengers and gear on the roof otherwise a dd and 5% offroad, this is what Dobinson recommended:

DobSprings.jpg

They have recommended the heavy fronts (40mm) and the medium rear (65mm) which raised the concern based on the comment above

Would you opt for using the super lift (60mm front and 65mm rear), the regular lift (40mm front and 45 rear) or mix it up the way Dob's has suggested?
DobSprings.jpg

Hey kzj78. I had ordered a 4 inch pair of front and rear coils only not the catalog sets so I don't know first hand how the hold up. What I meant when I said keeping the truck level was that it had a bad lean to the starboard side and the front saged a bit more then I wanted after about a year. The front sag didn't bother me too much but the lean to the right drove me nuts.
If Dobinsons says that combination is good it will probably be fine.
A heavier rate spring will hold up better to extra weight causing less sag over time. A taller spring with a lesser rate may be taller at first but it will sag and fatigue over time due to not being able to hold the extra weight if that makes sense. I have gone from the Dobinson coils to the Rabbit 4x4 coils. The Rabbit coils leveled the truck out perfectly. They were all different sizes see the picture below. I have now moved to the OME 80 series front 850j spring for the rear and it is stiffer with helps out for my three link and I still have the Rabbit coils in the front. Need coils, I have a bunch lol!! I haven't heard much about other people having the lean to the right maybe dobinsons have figured out about the lean or maybe it was my truck to blame:meh:
You will love the ride with your new lift.

Take care
IMG_0614-1.jpg
IMG_0598_2.jpg

So I got my dobinson lift installed this Saturday. Did the front and rear shocks and springs and the steering damper. Didn't get to the castor correction b/c we ran out of time and needed to jig up a press somehow.

Overall I am happy with the results although I was hoping this would take care of the pre-existing 1/2" lean to the starboard side - didn't happen ... still leaning. Any thoughts?:confused:

The ride is bouncier but firm, where I would have dreaded taking a railway crossing at 50km's, I passed over without a second thought.

Still need to extend the diff breathers for when fully extended and perhaps the rear brake line as well.

Before and after pics ...

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0538.jpg

Time to change my signature :grinpimp:

Fun shots with my son's Tamiya 40 series rock crawler

IMAG0542.jpg

IMAG0541.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

The guy who helped me install the lift is doing up a 6 x 6 Iltis and throwing in a VW diesel ... check it out 6x6 iltis Hugo pictures by kzj78 - Photobucket

Hey kzj78 looking good. You still have the dreaded lean to the starboard side :hmm:.With a tape measure, on flat ground, which wheel well is the lowest height on the right side?? My suggestion would be to use a scissor or bottle jack, place it on the top of your right rear tire and crank the body up. As you lift the right rear the right front will rise also and the left front will go down making the truck level. Measure the amount of lift you needed on the right rear and buy a coil spacer and stuff it in the rear. Cheap, easy and works. The 80 series front coil spacer fits perfectly on the rear spring and there are lots of different sizes you can buy check eBay out. I haven't found a supplier that sells front coil spacers or you could do the same with the right front. Another option would be to cut the welds on the right front upper coil spring saddle, lower it down and re weld.

Take Care

kzj78, what Dobinsons springs did you end up using for front and rear? 45mm/65mm or 60/65mm? I'm looking at doing the same thing so just curious what you settled on and how you like it now that you've had it for a while. Thanks!

Oops. I just saw the answer to my own question in KZJ78's signature panel. 45mm heavy in front and 65mm in the rear. Sorry for clogging up a great thread!

I am also a future buyer..so I'll follow this thread..

Is there a Left or Right spring? If so, remember Dobinson and ARB are both OZ companies...Thus..everything is opposite....When I used ARB leafs on my 60 I put everything on the opposite sides they were stamped and she came out perfect...

Just my 2c

C

Thats correct In2cruisers, the variation is often the opposite way to what we have here in AUstralia,

I am home with the flu for a few days and don't have access to the specs to confirm, but is usually the case.

Just wanted to update and say that I was able to order a set of 4 coils: 60mm front and 65mm rear from the Miami distributor today for $408 shipped to my door in California. Of course they weren't in stock but they said they will have them in their next container arriving in October. I'd say that's pretty awesome if it all works out. BTW Dobinsons has been really, really good with communication and customer service. Thanks dabasscow for connecting me with the Miami guys and for the info you provided here and elsewhere on this forum.

dabasscow, can you help me also choose the right combination for my LJ71 with 1kzte engine. i have a warnM8000 winch and a fabricated steel bumper with side rails. i am thinking of getting the 60mm on the front but still undecided on what to get on my rear since its only a swb and seldom have rear passengers. tia.

One thing I would check is your brake hoses and whether they are being stretched when articulating. You'll need to lift the front then the back off the clear of the ground for a full test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom