Do your License Plate screw preventive maintenance, or end up with this: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can get a 10 pack of M6 x16 brass screws shipped for less than 10.00 from eBay.

That's a good price. I checked McMaster Carr; the screws I linked above which were $4 each were hex drive button head naval brass screws. They also have Pan head Phillips brass screws 5 for $6. FWIW (edited links above for future reference).

I use nylon fasteners

Interestingly I checked McMaster Carr for plastic screws and there were nylon but also PEEK screws which would of course never corrode/rust. The pan head however is a bit small IMO/FWIW.

You can get a 10 pack of M6 x16 brass screws shipped for less than 10.00 from eBay.

That's a good price. I checked McMaster Carr; the screws I linked above which were $4 each were hex drive button head naval brass screws. They also have Pan head Phillips brass screws 5 for $6. FWIW (edited links above for future reference).

I use nylon fasteners

Interestingly I checked McMaster Carr for plastic screws and there were nylon but also PEEK screws which would of course never corrode/rust. The pan head however is a bit small IMO/FWIW.

I did not have an issue with the 12mm head, assuming it was same size. Nylon washer underneath?

That would work.

Interesting how a small thing has a lot of options.

Last edited:
Curious if there's a solid option for black license plate screws. I much prefer black over silver. Gracias.

The OEM Toyota bolts for mounting the heat control valve to the firewall have a thin dark bluish/black metal treatment and have the correct threads for the license plate holes. They could be a good choice as they have both a thin wave-type lock washer and a larger washer under that ie: to spread out the force on the plate. They're a bit long at ~30mm but length doesn't matter much if you aren't storing anything inside the liftgate.

There may be a shorter fender bolt with a flat black oxide plating that fits, can check my stash in the am.

Last edited:
The OEM Toyota bolts for mounting the heat control valve to the firewall have a thin dark bluish/black metal treatment and have the correct threads for the license plate holes. They could be a good choice as they have both a thin wave-type lock washer and a larger washer under that ie: to spread out the force on the plate. They're a bit long at ~30mm but length doesn't matter much if you aren't storing anything inside the liftgate.

There may be a shorter fender bolt with a flat black oxide plating that fits, can check my stash in the am.
I'm so tempted to get the Ti screws, but qty 2 for $42.

Edit: Dam you, Kernal!

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 4.48.57 PM.png

Yeah, there is hope however. ;)

When the archaeologists (in a million years) find the remains of your 80 buried under a melting glacier the only recognizable pieces will be the titanium screws.

They do however appear to be good screws.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom