Builds Do I have your attention.... I call it VERA. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to put the final axles in before running brake lines, and getting this thing to start driving around ….so first step was to tear out these temporary axles. Then went down to the barn and found the old slee 6 inch lift front drop arms. I love the new arms that are available but this just looks a little more old-school to me.

I agree... I went through those same thoughts about newer arms, but I just don't think they'd look right.

Your progress is looking great! Keep it up!

My son is back for his last spring break… so had him draw up a rear bumper. Here is what we came up with in cardboard.

IMG_2978.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

IMG_2979.jpeg

More…

IMG_2988.jpeg

IMG_2987.jpeg

IMG_2986.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

IMG_2983.jpeg

IMG_2982.jpeg

Paint it black and run it :grinpimp:

Love to see custom bumpers that incorporate appropriate Cruiser taillight assemblies. Fantastic work.

Got the new axles in…. And started getting all the brake lines done. In the front I think I’m going to run a line to a Central point, and then come up on the driver side. Typically an 80 Series had two separate lines coming down—one on each side. Probably going to re-gear so I’ll swap the front rotors to drilled and slotted at that time.

IMG_2996.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg

Not having much time in the garage lately, but was able to squirrel some time out there last night. Test fit the new apron emblems…. And got the front brake lines all made and routed. And even started working on the bumper.

IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3028.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

IMG_3026.jpeg

IMG_3025.jpeg

Burning metal. The top middle section above the license plate will get removed once everything gets burnt in.

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

Does your rear axle have another vent ? I thought that brake line junction was secured with a special bolt that is drilled and serves as the axle vent.

Does your rear axle have another vent ? I thought that brake line junction was secured with a special bolt that is drilled and serves as the axle vent.

Not on an 80 series axle. This is the rear, and the brake flex joint it mounted on standard tab, not into the housing, and the vent is a little lower, see arrow below.

on the 70 series and 40 series, you are correct it has a bolt that is also a vent.

1711384203244.png

on the front axle, the brake flex is here, Typically just goes to driver side, but I added a split to service both front sides with one drop line.

the vent is on the side -- see arrow. I have a bolt there from when I painted it.

1711384314705.png

Question on driveshafts and caster / pinion angles.

Wondering if I need to do double cardon or not, keep in mind that I have a 5-6" lift.

The front driveshaft will be about 8" longer in total -- 2" longer as I pushed the driveline back a couple inches, plus I have a 100 series transfer, so I don't have the viscous coupler, so maybe another 6" longer??? I need to put a tape on it to confirm.

Rear driveshaft should be 3" longer total -- 5" longer with streatched frame, less the 2" due to pushing the engine back.

Second question, what pinion angle do I want to have on front and rear axles? On Front, I have those old Slee lower control arms, so want to check caster. Am I recalling that I want 2-4 degrees of camber? On rear, I have adjustable links now, and will make lower HD control arms to length needed.
1711385147433.png

Question on driveshafts and caster / pinion angles.

Wondering if I need to do double cardon or not, keep in mind that I have a 5-6" lift.

The front driveshaft will be about 8" longer in total -- 2" longer as I pushed the driveline back a couple inches, plus I have a 100 series transfer, so I don't have the viscous coupler, so maybe another 6" longer??? I need to put a tape on it to confirm.

Rear driveshaft should be 3" longer total -- 5" longer with streatched frame, less the 2" due to pushing the engine back.

Second question, what pinion angle do I want to have on front and rear axles? On Front, I have those old Slee lower control arms, so want to check caster. Am I recalling that I want 2-4 degrees of camber? On rear, I have adjustable links now, and will make lower HD control arms to length needed.
View attachment 3590809
Driveshaft type just depends on your angles at the flanges. If you can post those up with a digital angle finder we can give you an answer pretty quickly.

4 degrees of caster should work fine. 6 might be better with the lift and tire size you’re running.

Made some progress…

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3104.jpeg

IMG_3105.jpeg

Works kind of gone crazy (as usual) so not much time…. Found a few hours this weekend. I removed a trailer hitch from an 80 Series, chopped it up and rotated it to provide the structure for the hitch. perfect size and drop for the project. It added a lot of weight to an already heavy bumper, but I think it will be very secure. Also, I finally got the inner attachment to the frame done, so finally working on the sides. And your eyes are not broken... the bolts are on the top of this frame since I cut and flipped the rear section of the frame. I added more on the sides as well.

IMG_3148.jpeg

IMG_3147.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom