Dmax450! Casper gets a duramax! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are you pictures you requested. Naturally with running such a large snorkel you will need to custom fab a air box, which will be the next step.

View attachment 2843159View attachment 2843160View attachment 2843161View attachment 2843162

Last picture just give you an idea of how I want to do the air box. The feed from the snorke will come in the side of the box, and then the intake will run out the back into the turbo.
Perfect, thank you very much. That looks way better than expected from such large tube.

Are you familiar with the Donaldson/Volant blue filters?

Perfect, thank you very much. That looks way better than expected from such large tube.

I was running a Donaldson before, I think it was part of my restriction issue. They are excellent filters setups, however I think personally they take up way too much space. Considering how custom everything has been so far, looks like I’ll just have to build my own box. I’ll attach a picture of my original setup. You can see just how tight this engine bay really is!
E099A23B-1CA9-49CA-9D82-9C86D00BA78B.jpeg
CCEF386B-B536-4EB2-B3F6-722218070B9B.jpeg

I was running a Donaldson before, I think it was part of my restriction issue. They are excellent filters setups, however I think personally they take up way too much space. Considering how custom everything has been so far, looks like I’ll just have to build my own box. I’ll attach a picture of my original setup. You can see just how tight this engine bay really is! View attachment 2843270View attachment 2843271
Ya, that's definitely not what I'm talking about. The Donaldson/Volant BLUE filters are way different tech and super high flow in a very compact package. Donaldson PowerCore® Air Filters | Donaldson Engine & Vehicle - https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engine/filters/products/air-intake/replacement-filters/powercore-filters/

Ya, that's definitely not what I'm talking about. The Donaldson/Volant BLUE filters are way different tech and super high flow in a very compact package. Donaldson PowerCore® Air Filters | Donaldson Engine & Vehicle - https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engine/filters/products/air-intake/replacement-filters/powercore-filters/
Ohhh, sorry I thought you was referring to the housing setup. I’ll do some research on this and see if it’s a option or not.

Thanks for the info.

So I did some research and seems to be a very popular filter setup. I went ahead and ordered one, should be here Tuesday. I’ll just have to mock it up and see if I’ll have room to fit it.

I bought the 5” flange version. Seems like most of the dmax guys are running 6”, but I think that’s only because the stock intake setup is that size. Maybe it will flow enough for this dmax.

Thanks for the info once more!

Out here today just trying to clean up a bit. Lexus was a disaster…looked like a ups truck rolled in side this thing. Kinda got everything organized somewhat in the back now.

As I’m stacking parts in here today, I’m thinking to myself…. I can’t be the only person with thousands of dollars in parts, sitting in the back of a non running vehicle!

Sometimes I question myself about what I’m doing. Was selling a brand new truck and building a 25 year old s*** box a good idea….who knows!

Anyways, have a good day guys haha!!

C1C8E15C-C403-4ED9-AFCA-3DD3464C0C2B.jpeg

So I know I’ve been slacking....been busy working on this damn truck. I’ve basically just been doing odd and end stuff. But I do have some updates for you. I recently finished up(kinda) the new center console. It houses the kilduff a1000 shifter. I could have used the factory shifter, but being I’m going to be running a twin stick, I decided to just fab up a new console that’s custom. I loved the way it looked without the switch setup...but after trying to find a home for the switch controller, it felt right being there. It’s nice because when I’m driving I can just move my hand from the shifter down to the switch.
View attachment 2599716
View attachment 2599717

I’m still waiting on this adapter to come in. I was suppose to finally ship Friday, not sure it it did or not. Once I get the adapter in, I can build the mount for the twin stick setup. Also have some pilot lights coming in for glow plug, check engine, low oil that stuff. I would use the factory stuff in the gauge cluster but I just don’t want to mess with it.

Let’s see what else....I made a removable section for my bike rack on the rear. The bumper is setup to hold 2 mountain bikes. However the outside mount sticks out past the side of my truck...I don’t like that for going down trails and stuff. So I just welded some 1” cold rolled inside and put a pin through it. And yes, that anal bead looking thing is actually part of my sink. I don’t think I’ve shown it yet, but the truck has a 16 gal on board water tank and pump...as well as a heat exchanger to have a constant supply of hot water! I’ll post about this setup later as it’s not done yet! View attachment 2599725

Today I was able to get a few things done with the brakes as well. With doing this swap, I needed all the room I could get underhood. So I deleted abs and the rear lspv. I was able to get the front brake lines mocked up using some guides on here, and then got the rear put back together as well! Should stop a lot better now. Back when the truck was running with the ls, the truck pulled to the right some when braking which was annoying. A lot of people online suggested it was the abs module acting up and sending more fluid one side vs the other. So I deleted all that crap, and also installed a willwood 1 1/8” master cylinder. Mainly so I can run remote res, as it’s very tight to the intercooler piping.

View attachment 2599732View attachment 2599733
Is this MC part number 260-14244-BK .

G'day mate, Great read and congratulations on the outcome so far. Just so you know that you're not alone with a Duramax conversion of an 80 Land Cruiser. I recently took my beloved 80 off the road after clocking up 1.2mil Km on the original 1HZ. Owned it since '95 so is part of the family now. Donor is a 2013 Holden Colorado Dual Cab with a Duramax 2.8l and 5 spd manual. So far I have prepared the motor and transfer case ready to install but am now buried in preparing the engine bay for the new comer. ( A/C and piping, heater, brakes booster & pipes, clutch cyl & pipes, wiring, radiator, intercooler, etc etc as you are very aware.). Cheers for now Richard

Hope @Slickrick keeps posting - I want to see the final goods !

I haven’t seen a DM conversion before, but I am far from current in the V8 swap thread.

Did you ever get this thing on the road??? I’ve got just a couple more things to finish up on my Duramax swap in my 80

Wait, is there a thread on this? 🤔

Come on we all want to see what you have going on !!

Yeah, no kidding! How dare he his first message is a simple comment and not a full blown thread detailing ad nauseum every single bits of this awesome conversion? :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom