DIY Wiring Tools? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
If I want to be able to do repair stock wiring and run custom wiring--from small stuff to 4/0--what are the tools and supplies I need to have on hand? Assume I know zip about wiring, have no idea how to read a wiring diagram, and that I once vaporized part of a wrench and most of a razor blade--and you won't be far off.

Ahh. The spark of knowledge. A wonderful experience I have made materialize on numerous occasions. I have klein wire strippers for both stranded and solid copper wire, klein long nose pliers, klein linesman pliers, a craftsman multi-tester from the late ‘80’s (fluke meter to be purchased as soon as the darn thing dies), & I borrow a buddies harbor freight pneumatic crimper for larger wire.

Edit: i only really use my grandfathers barlow folding knife and craftsman pliers from the ‘70’s to fix stuff on the road.

Ahh. The spark of knowledge. A wonderful experience I have made materialize on numerous occasions. I have klein wire strippers for both stranded and solid copper wire, klein long nose pliers, klein linesman pliers, a craftsman multi-tester from the late ‘80’s (fluke meter to be purchased as soon as the darn thing dies), & I borrow a buddies harbor freight pneumatic crimper for larger wire.

Edit: i only really use my grandfathers barlow folding knife and craftsman pliers from the ‘70’s to fix stuff on the road.
Didn't know there was such a thing as a pneumatic crimper. Btw--don't you need to be able to solder as well?

Soldering is for pro’s. You need air tight crimp butt ends. Vibration proof.

My soldering iron was my grandfathers too. I learned with it. Son learned with it. Hope it never dies.

Didn't know there was such a thing as a pneumatic crimper. Btw--don't you need to be able to solder as well?
Solder or not is an on-going debate. Large-gauge factory connections aren't typically soldered. Take that for what it is.
Custom wiring is the easier as you aren't relegated to pins, sockets, clips, etc as factory wiring dictates. Little experience with that so won't comment.
But for custom wiring, a wire stripper such as this solves the first 12 seconds of most wiring jobs.
A crimper such as this solves the rest for large-gauge stuff.
Lesser gauge can be done with these, these in appropriate sizes, and these, these, this for heat shrink and solder, and that split or whole for management.
'Liquid electrical tape' comes in handy for small(support) or close quarters(isolation) connections.
I've found 3/8, 5/8, and 3/4" sizes of cable sheath/heatshrink are the most usable across 99% of the installs.
Used 1" at times when I forgot to put the shrink on the wire before crimping the terminal. :bang:

Last edited:
I love these kinds of threads, and I love tools :)

@LandLocked93 is correct, you don't see large gauge connections soldered in industry either... be it industrial or aerospace, and I like to think I spent more time than I should pocking around where I shouldn't just because i was curious. @LandLocked93 also covered a lot of the stuff I would suggest so I will add my favorites.

I'll list this stuff out and then dump links at the bottom, but here are the things I like:

- Hakko 888d soldering iron. This thing is minty and is what all the aerospace instrumentation guys I used to work with used.
- Weller P2KC butane soldering iron for all your in vehicle soldering needs.
- Kester Solder flux core, 60/40 - This stuff improved my surface mount soldering considerably
- Soldering rosin - keep them tips clean!
- Scotch super 33+ electrical tape - it is seriously good, but not cheap. Doesn't turn into a sticky mess long term
- I like having some alligator jumper leads and a power supply (you can make one out of a computer power supply, let me know if anyone want the deets).
- GOOD multimeter - Fluke 115 is what I like, because I have a tool problem and I am single :flipoff2: add in some aligator test leads for bonus points
- I like to use adhesive backed heat shrink in most applications
- Electrical contact cleaner of some type is very helpful
- A third hand with alligator clips for holding the wires you'll be soldering is a must!
- I like the hydraulic crimpers for the big wires.... crimping in general is a rabbit hole... pick your budget, buy as you need.
- The knoweasy wires strippers are an Adam Savage favorite and I agree, nice to be able to set the strip length

Amazon product ASIN B00ANZRT4M
Amazon product ASIN B000WOHSHMcrid=1TRHTGAUQN59N&keywords=weller+butane&qid=1676171103&sprefix=weller+butan%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCFFMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR8BY65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WFL122J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I want to be able to do repair stock wiring and run custom wiring--from small stuff to 4/0--what are the tools and supplies I need to have on hand? Assume I know zip about wiring, have no idea how to read a wiring diagram, and that I once vaporized part of a wrench and most of a razor blade--and you won't be far off.
From some of things I've seen you post. Don't. Hire someone.

LOL. All my tools are over 30 years old now. All old school Xcelite. That company has been bought and sold several times and the quality has gone downhill.
I solder most connections with Weller irons using the correct tips and temperature for the application. Multimeters are old school Fluke 8060As which I bought new and have been recalibrated by Fluke over the years.
I prefer solder connections, but it takes practice to do it correctly. After 40 years in the industry, I'm pretty good at it.

I love auto wire strippers. They might not be perfect all the time but work great 90% of the time. Something like this.

Amazon product ASIN B003B8WB5U
Or these

I would also recommend some good quality heat shrink with the water proof glue inside.

Get a good heat gun for the shrink tubing. If you have the heat gun than you can also use these heat shrink, solder, butt connectors.

Amazon product ASIN B089D79CPF

These solder butt connectors are my favorite. They make it so easy to get a solid soldered connection with a good waterproof heat shrink cover.

@jaymar I will wheel your rig. All you have to do is sit there quietly and enjoy the ride. I’m good at breaking stuff, just ask my vehicles. I promise to behave….

@jaymar I will wheel your rig. All you have to do is sit there quietly and enjoy the ride. I’m good at breaking stuff, just ask my vehicles. I promise to behave….
76F0AD82-B006-440D-A72B-EA392120A511.png

Dude. Game on. I will bring my mouthpiece and headgear.

I love these kinds of threads, and I love tools :)

@LandLocked93 is correct, you don't see large gauge connections soldered in industry either... be it industrial or aerospace, and I like to think I spent more time than I should pocking around where I shouldn't just because i was curious. @LandLocked93 also covered a lot of the stuff I would suggest so I will add my favorites.

I'll list this stuff out and then dump links at the bottom, but here are the things I like:

- Hakko 888d soldering iron. This thing is minty and is what all the aerospace instrumentation guys I used to work with used.
- Weller P2KC butane soldering iron for all your in vehicle soldering needs.
- Kester Solder flux core, 60/40 - This stuff improved my surface mount soldering considerably
- Soldering rosin - keep them tips clean!
- Scotch super 33+ electrical tape - it is seriously good, but not cheap. Doesn't turn into a sticky mess long term
- I like having some alligator jumper leads and a power supply (you can make one out of a computer power supply, let me know if anyone want the deets).
- GOOD multimeter - Fluke 115 is what I like, because I have a tool problem and I am single :flipoff2: add in some aligator test leads for bonus points
- I like to use adhesive backed heat shrink in most applications
- Electrical contact cleaner of some type is very helpful
- A third hand with alligator clips for holding the wires you'll be soldering is a must!
- I like the hydraulic crimpers for the big wires.... crimping in general is a rabbit hole... pick your budget, buy as you need.
- The knoweasy wires strippers are an Adam Savage favorite and I agree, nice to be able to set the strip length

Amazon product ASIN B00ANZRT4M
Amazon product ASIN B000WOHSHMcrid=1TRHTGAUQN59N&keywords=weller+butane&qid=1676171103&sprefix=weller+butan%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCFFMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR8BY65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WFL122J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I love my Hakko. Also butane soldering pens are garbage unless you like constantly running out of butane. I only use my butane pen for shrink tube and I'm over it for that too.

I love my Hakko. Also butane soldering pens are garbage unless you like constantly running out of butane. I only use my butane pen for shrink tube and I'm over it for that too.

See idk, I have actually been pretty impressed with my weller butane... not as good as my hakko, but for laying under the cruiser fixing something, it's worked pretty good.

See idk, I have actually been pretty impressed with my weller butane... not as good as my hakko, but for laying under the cruiser fixing something, it's worked pretty good.
I guess I've just had bad experiences with my snap on variant which is essentially a weller. It seems to barely get hot before it runs out of juice.

I guess I've just had bad experiences with my snap on variant which is essentially a weller. It seems to barely get hot before it runs out of juice.
Weird, maybe a fluke? Or maybe mine is the fluke! my buddy up the street just ordered one so, if his sucks I will report back! (but he is a rover guy, so he may think everything leaks when new)

My 2 cents, having worked installing AC and DC electrical systems in mobile command and communication trucks.
- Flush cutters
- Cable cutters
- Wire stripper. Can be manual or auto; if manual go for a higher quality, since cheap ones don't work very well.
- Ratcheting crimp tool with interchangeable jaws. Name brand ones are expensive; I got a cheap eBay special for personal use and it has been great.
- Heat gun, preferably with a selection of different nozzles
- For repairing factory wiring, a set of de-pinning tools specific to your vehicle.
- Cable lug crimper. I've only used manual ones (and a ~$2000 electric crimper), so I can't comment on the hydraulic versions.
- Decent multimeter. For full functionality, get one with an AC/DC amp clamp.

In terms of materials:
- Use pure copper wire. Don't cheap out on copper clad aluminum.
- Good quality heat shrink crimp terminals (ring, spade, butt connectors, etc). Cheap ones will work, but the more expensive ones have better heat shrink material and make a stronger crimp. NSPA Krimpa-Seal and Opti-Seal terminals and connectors are really nice.
- Heat shrink tubing. I really like the adhesive lined stuff, makes a good, watertight seal.

I tend to prefer using crimps over solder sleeves, if you use quality terminals and adjust your crimper to make a solid crimp it will be every bit as good as a solder sleeve, if not better. Do whatever it takes to familiarize yourself with wiring diagrams, how they work and how to read them, and always take a logical, step-by-step approach to troubleshooting.

Don't solder anything that will experience vibration or flexing. The solder makes wires brittle and will break. If you notice from the factory, the only things soldered are things that connect directly to a circuit board, etc. and have some sort of strain relief to protect the soldered area from flexing/vibrating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom