DIY Smartphone Scan Gauge - OBD Fusion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great Dashboard. Mine glitched/crashed for some reason, but I was able to reconstruct it without much difficulty except...

For the life of me I can't find a PID for gear status (what gear the transmission is in) that will work.

The answer is probably somewhere in this thread, but can you (or anyone else who knows) tell me which PID I should be using for gear status?

I'm using OBD Fusion and have the Toyota/Lexus PID package downloaded.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
I've found sometimes when loading other peoples Dashboards, you have to reenter the same PID that is already there to get it start working again. So go to edit the PID, it will usually have the path of the current PID and just follow it and reselect it.

"Status of the Gear Position' in the ABS/VSC/Trac section

Thank you! I hadn't thought to even search in that section :doh:

Will give it a try.

My A/T Oil Temperature 3 reads low, like 25 degrees below ambient when cold, and a max of ~75 or so on the highway today. I've refreshed the PID in the imported dashboard, it was originally A/T Temp 2 because it was set up on a pre-2016. Do I need to enter a scaling factor or something?

All the other values are credible except that one. I refreshed the gear indicator and that changed from max of 6 to 8 so everything else seems to be working OK.

I'm an idiot, and I can't get the dashboards into my phone. I have an iPhone XS, and have the STG files in iCloud --> OBD Fusion -->Import. In OBD Fusion, I go to Settings --> Menu --> Import Settings, then select iCloud --> Next. And I get "Import Failed" No files in the OBD Fusion/Import directory"

Suggestions? I'm leaving Monday towing the trailer from Ohio to Alabama, and would like to monitor transmission temps.

Thanks!

I'm an idiot, and I can't get the dashboards into my phone. I have an iPhone XS, and have the STG files in iCloud --> OBD Fusion -->Import. In OBD Fusion, I go to Settings --> Menu --> Import Settings, then select iCloud --> Next. And I get "Import Failed" No files in the OBD Fusion/Import directory"

Suggestions? I'm leaving Monday towing the trailer from Ohio to Alabama, and would like to monitor transmission temps.

Thanks!
Try putting the file in your export folder. That’s where mine are.

Try putting the file in your export folder. That’s where mine are.
Well, that’s intuitive! It recognized the .stg files and said successful import of the following setting, but nothing followed. So no dashboard

However, based on the information in this thread, I was able to modify the default dashboard to replicate some shown here. So I think I’m covered.

One of the transmission oil temperatures showed negative for a while. I think I remember reading about that and will go back to review.

Thanks for the suggestion!

IMG_9137.png

IMG_9139.png

2006 LX470 here. Just got my VEEPEAK BLE and downloaded OBD Fusion (Andriod) and the related $14.95 add-on for my make/model/year, and initally everything seems to work good so far.

WIll the dashboards in post #1 and elsewhere here (AHC dashboard) work for my 100, or is the software specific to 200 series only?

TIA

Last edited:
Certain components might be transferable, but you will probably have to search for certain elements. It took me a while to become familiar with the process. I still have one of the dashboards shared with me as a "starter" template, although it only vaguely resembles its original form.

Certain components might be transferable, but you will probably have to search for certain elements. It took me a while to become familiar with the process. I still have one of the dashboards shared with me as a "starter" template, although it only vaguely resembles its original form.
After tinkering with it for an hour, and using others Dashboards for ideas, I think I'll simply create/modify the default Dashboard with the features I want.

It doesn't appear that I can dwonload OBD F and Toyota/Lexus/Scion PID to multiple devices unless I pay each time?? I decided to use an old phone as a dedicated vehicle monitor, but when downloading, Google Pay is asking me to pay again :(

After tinkering with it for an hour, and using others Dashboards for ideas, I think I'll simply create/modify the default Dashboard with the features I want.

It doesn't appear that I can dwonload OBD F and Toyota/Lexus/Scion PID to multiple devices unless I pay each time?? I decided to use an old phone as a dedicated vehicle monitor, but when downloading, Google Pay is asking me to pay again :(

I just switched phones a week or two ago, and OBD Fusion recognized that I had already paid for my LC model's "Extras". I just had to tap that entry to re-download it. It sounds like you already know where to find that area in the app, but here it is just in case: Settings -> Purchase Extras -> Toyota, Lexus, Scion -> (your model year) Diagnostics.

Not sure about android devices but you can have it installed and fully functional on multiple Apple devices at the same time as long as you’re using the same Apple ID for login. You can’t swap between android and iOS though.

…It recognized the .stg files and said successful import of the following setting, but nothing followed. So no dashboard…
I’m having the same problem when I try to import from both Dropbox and iCloud. Has anyone else seen this and figured out how to solve it?

I just switched phones a week or two ago, and OBD Fusion recognized that I had already paid for my LC model's "Extras". I just had to tap that entry to re-download it. It sounds like you already know where to find that area in the app, but here it is just in case: Settings -> Purchase Extras -> Toyota, Lexus, Scion -> (your model year) Diagnostics.
Yes...took their system or Google Play app store a little bit of time to process that I already paid for the app and extras. The following morning I was able to proceed w/o issues.

I’m having the same problem when I try to import from both Dropbox and iCloud. Has anyone else seen this and figured out how to solve it?
So the “success” screen can be misleading. This is what it should look like when it happens right. Notice it says “Dashboards(1)”… meaning one dashboard imported.

IMG_6321.png

So the “success” screen can be misleading. This is what it should look like when it happens right. Notice it says “Dashboards(1)”… meaning one dashboard imported.

View attachment 3336001
That makes sense. My success screen is blank.

I started to make my own dashboard but quickly realized I’m far too obsessive to actually finish in my lifetime. Hoping someone knows what I’m doing wrong.

So you have to go to “Settings -> Preferences -> General” and enable the “Use Simple dashboard management” toggle.

View attachment 2888026
Then you have to import the dashboard (I would only enable the dashboard toggle in that screen, but may not matter. After those changes when you hit the import button, you should get a screen that says “Dashboards [1]”, if it only says succeeded, then it didn’t work.

View attachment 2888030
After that it may be necessary to link the dashboard to your vehicle. If the dashboard isn’t immediately displayed after you get the above message, you need to do a “manage dashboards” from the menu button on the dashboards page. Then use the + button and you need to link the dashboard to your vehicle.

@lx200inAR already answered my question 7 pages ago. This is exactly what I was doing wrong. The setting makes no sense, but just enable it and move on.

@lx200inAR already answered my question 7 pages ago. This is exactly what I was doing wrong. The setting makes no sense, but just enable it and move on.
Too bad i couldn't remember that yesterday.

This forum is super awesome, but what would be cool is if there could be a "wiki" section where the important info could be stored filtered from random comments and questions. Not that those aren't necessary, to get to the endgame, but they make every thread harder to follow once a topic has been open a while... just like this post that someone a year from now will have to read before they get to the 7 pages back to find the good info.

I understand that would be nearly impossible, since it would probably increase the level of moderation needed by 10 times over. But we can dream. I wonder if some sort of ranking or "tech flag" could be added to posts that aren't questions or unnecessary observations could be implemented. Then you could view a thread with everything but the rank/tech flag being filtered out. Could be a combination where maybe at least 3 users have to flag the post as "tech" before it will get a star or whatever to save on the moderation overhead.

Last edited:
Having spent some time messing with an OBD-II smartphone monitor app on several long road trips, I think this topic deserves its own thread. Specifically using OBD Fusion to monitor the plethora of info available on the OBD-II data port of the vehicle. I can't take credit for this, but would like to bring it to the forefront as it's buried in various towing threads. Credit to @linuxgod for putting the majority of this together. This is what I use and have done with it. Hopefully others will contribute here as well.

Not just useful as a monitor, I think this is critical as part of a basic tool kit, as a diagnostic tool. And for quick resets of things like the dreaded MOAB CEL (various emissions related CELs that crop up off-road with large elevation gains.

What:
1) Smartphone app OBD Fusion, iPhone and Android compatible
a) Toyota, Lexus, Scion PID add-on package

2) OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for Android and Windows (Apple phones may need a different MX+ variant of this dongle; there's other dongles still and hopefully some apple users can add what they use)
Amazon product ASIN B00H9S71LW
EDIT: Post #8 below has a suggestion for a good iPhone capable dongle instead of this expensive one.
Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6

3) OBD Fusion dashboard .stg for import

C0KS17nTwUEwwklV1xBbtu0GEHjHWTih7HDgQhDQBbk1pyeC2MPSjczNn8wB7V1W4zwmLw4AdRe6syzaw825Tf7iZf8LxwhP94q0OdwFOatAFJ8OvibNLkiu6Tzfk8oGd8zDbAn1wLREi3levt6nxl3qLW4lJxGgbQ_oVbj2Y4pOu16CI8j-PwhEHAq0cQ24ymQpSKOAcXM6pGWHMaA1w1cgZhnGTjkpXgPU7NxzO-1Z00C7Mw1uSamV-KulDm4ot6CwLJk3LCT0b43-hmgLdyS-NMxzSurSNzNj2JeRs6oJP-bHxXEaKDPzG0AYuLrG-1ALm5npko1moQ4QXBJi7c82VApiKYKic4dObG-PO0_2Fr0q6y40G5KM86MIQQ3L-qLAGLZMaNYFsT3KoSRWOKamF7JmnLIv4DF-uCdPsyYkNF-A53FVJ8OFIsTURq1Y2IErmjIChqAg7i8fVbD7dTRzZ7_K_n5LL7iUZ1ZOqc8KiMfPkzBMJ591AgV-TL1LAY8JoVPAbVF2tcir3ILPCPdtEmDBFs9TGHZ7K9dwMoJGzEcScZYOL6Y2zwMuoB0do0kIeQmtJatA1lnjsPTMzp-j-U0SzprucDXPhrk1_Am0hjEGxbjkrcdRwFcy1DHgnbi8Wh0dF-FA9aLx2lcaddGHd5D9YvVkZAN4RGRPtuGbdjlZzTr0ytEyFTn5Wx1V-1MjYsFzSQ6-_c2y72PZ2CJXRA=w440-h953-no
Apologies if this has been answered, but which of the OBD monitors would you recommend if price is not a priority. I’m an iPhone user and like data and relative ease of use.

Apologies if this has been answered, but which of the OBD monitors would you recommend if price is not a priority. I’m an iPhone user and like data and relative ease of use.
There are others, but most of the discussion in this thread is about OBD Fusion (‎OBD Fusion - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/obd-fusion/id650684932). Any compatible OBD adapter will give you the same data/experience (though Bluetooth LE is probably easier than WiFi). I had the Veepeak BLE from a previous vehicle, so that’s the one I use. Others here have the same one. Veepeak also makes a BLE+, though the additional cost likely outweighs any benefit.

If I were to do it over I'd get this one Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6 as it comes with OBDFusion-identical software, doesn't require paid add-ons, and can be used for multiple vehicles, from what I've been told (but confirm by doing your own homework).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom