DIY Smartphone Scan Gauge - OBD Fusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Switched out one of my PIDs for cruise control speed. Probably could make it fancier and add a light to show whether it’s engaged, but not super necessary. Probably still only works with IOS.

42F3916D-6BDA-4622-B813-D27ABD037AA3.png

Link to file:

Is there concerns with battery drain leaving the dongle installed? I have the below dongle and hadn’t set it up yet. Was tingle to follow your screen set up. Thanks!

DC0DF7CA-4681-4603-8BBB-C8532FBC84D6.png

Is there concerns with battery drain leaving the dongle installed? I have the below dongle and hadn’t set it up yet. Was tingle to follow your screen set up. Thanks!

View attachment 3207294
I leave mine in all the time. I daily drive, so not sure my scenario applies if you stay parked for long periods.

Reactions: NTV

View attachment 3207294
I leave mine in all the time. Longest period was probably a week without driving; no issues. There is a constant blue light, so it can’t hurt to unplug it if you’re worried.

Switched out one of my PIDs for cruise control speed. Probably could make it fancier and add a light to show whether it’s engaged, but not super necessary. Probably still only works with IOS.

Your post reminded me to post my dashboard (shamelessly copied) that I’ve been tinkering with.
701A7313-CB83-4F01-8EE7-41BD7525629A.jpeg

Obviously I was going down a hill when I snapped this. :) I added high and low indicators plus some color bars in the gauges [per @linuxgod post in March on this thread ] Formatted specifically for an iPhone 13.

Pm me if anyone wants the custom export.

Last edited:
@lx200inAR - Have you noticed that the Cruise set speed and gps speeds don’t quite match when they should - for example on a flat road where speed stabilizes? I see this in one dashboard I made just for cruise control only. It’s not much, maybe <2 mph off between the two reported speeds. Been wondering what that’s about. [Edit: here are 2 screen shots of that situation. The target speed is settled at 0.0 …]
ABA2AADA-05B6-49CF-A955-4197A086DAA5.jpeg

9F8E1838-5E76-4278-8141-7ABAA26903B8.jpeg

Last edited:
@lx200inAR - Have you noticed that the Cruise set speed and gps speeds don’t quite match when they should - for example on a flat road where speed stabilizes? I see this in one dashboard I made just for cruise control only. It’s not much, maybe <2 mph off between the two reported speeds. Been wondering what that’s about. [Edit: here are 2 screen shots of that situation. The target speed is settled at 0.0 …]
View attachment 3208685
View attachment 3208686
The LC typically underreads speed. In general tire diameter also affects the trucks measured speed since it’s counting wheel revolutions to calculate speed.

I’m pretty sure The GPS speed is measured from your phone. The truck ECU doesn’t know anything about that speed.

View attachment 3207294
I leave mine plugged in and my Cruiser may sit for multiple days unused. My only issue is that my phone will not connect to the dongle so I have to unplug/plug the dongle to get it to come back on. I have the OBDLink MX+ FWIW.

I leave mine plugged in and my Cruiser may sit for multiple days unused. My only issue is that my phone will not connect to the dongle so I have to unplug/plug the dongle to get it to come back on. I have the OBDLink MX+ FWIW.
Wonder if that's either a bluetooth vs BLE thing, or if it's the "sleep mode" feature of the MX+. I found a review where they said they only thing they could do to get it out of sleep mode was unplug/plug it back in.

With my Carista (dongle with BLE) i never have to reset the dongle.

Likewise leave mine plugged in...great place to "store" it. I have the OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth. No issue reconnecting. As I understand it, it doesn't support Apple devices.

I'm having trouble importing .stg files for these dashboards. I have read through the posts about importing near the bottom of p.3.

I have saved the .stg file to my personal Dropbox under new folders I created: OBD Fusion > Import. I also have the .stg file in the parent OBD Fusion folder for good measure. Then I linked my personal dropbox in the app, and I have the "Sync CSV Log Files" toggled on under Settings>Preferences>Dropbox/iCloud. Then I go to Settings>Menu>Import Settings and select Dropbox, then click Settings to go back, and I get an Import Failed message: "No files were found to import. You must place the settings file in the OBD Fusion/Import Directory in your Dropbox folder".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm having trouble importing .stg files for these dashboards. I have read through the posts about importing near the bottom of p.3.

I have saved the .stg file to my personal Dropbox under new folders I created: OBD Fusion > Import. I also have the .stg file in the parent OBD Fusion folder for good measure. Then I linked my personal dropbox in the app, and I have the "Sync CSV Log Files" toggled on under Settings>Preferences>Dropbox/iCloud. Then I go to Settings>Menu>Import Settings and select Dropbox, then click Settings to go back, and I get an Import Failed message: "No files were found to import. You must place the settings file in the OBD Fusion/Import Directory in your Dropbox folder".

I don't think the log files setting matters, unless you want to do some logging and save those files to dropbox, but that is different than the dashboard/config settings.

The first thing I'd do is save your current settings to dropbox. Not so much to back up your settings, but so that it will create the folder needed to save the settings. That will give you the formula for creating hte import folder in case you have something slightly wrong, like capital letters or spaces or something. When you import, you should only select "Dashboards" in the list of things that can be imported, in case you aren't doing that. I'm just going from memory right now, but i can look at my setup in a bit. I use iCloud rather than DropBox, but it should be relatively the same.

So running through the settings i think you want this checked:

Settings-> Preferences -> General ->Use Simple Dashboard Management: enabled

I don't think the log files setting matters, unless you want to do some logging and save those files to dropbox, but that is different than the dashboard/config settings.

The first thing I'd do is save your current settings to dropbox. Not so much to back up your settings, but so that it will create the folder needed to save the settings. That will give you the formula for creating hte import folder in case you have something slightly wrong, like capital letters or spaces or something. When you import, you should only select "Dashboards" in the list of things that can be imported, in case you aren't doing that. I'm just going from memory right now, but i can look at my setup in a bit. I use iCloud rather than DropBox, but it should be relatively the same.
Figured it out with your help.

Linking Dropbox allows the app to create the following folders: Apps>OBD Fusion> Import and Export. So I need to drop any .stg files I save into this Import folder.

New owner of a 2018 and just discovered something that might save someone some $ if they already have an OBDLink dongle and can download the free OBDLink app...

OBDLink is exactly the same as OBD Fusion, as in the same app but just a different color & locked (presumably) to their adapters, and offering enhanced features like firmware updates for their dongles and free enhanced OEM PIDs downloads. So I wasted $20 for the OBD Fusion app and enhanced PID download when I already had everything I needed with the spendy dongle I'd bought to work with Bimmercode.

This is most likely pointed out here in one of the many threads I haven't read, but might change one's mind on which dongle to buy, especially if you have other cars where you would be downloading multiple enhanced PIDs packs.

OBDLink:
OBDLink.png

OBD Fusion:
OBDFusion.png

New owner of a 2018 and just discovered something that might save someone some $ if they already have an OBDLink dongle and can download the free OBDLink app...

OBDLink is exactly the same as OBD Fusion, as in the same app but just a different color & locked (presumably) to their adapters, and offering enhanced features like firmware updates for their dongles and free enhanced OEM PIDs downloads. So I wasted $20 for the OBD Fusion app and enhanced PID download when I already had everything I needed with the spendy dongle I'd bought to work with Bimmercode.

This is most likely pointed out here in one of the many threads I haven't read, but might change one's mind on which dongle to buy, especially if you have other cars where you would be downloading multiple enhanced PIDs packs.

OBDLink:
View attachment 3282725

OBD Fusion:
View attachment 3282726
I don’t mind spending $5-$10 for an app I like and use to keep it developed and running. The only reason OBD Link is free is because it assumed you bought their branded dongle. They probably should have come up with a better way of separating those rather than creating a whole new app.

I don’t mind spending $5-$10 for an app I like and use to keep it developed and running. The only reason OBD Link is free is because it assumed you bought their branded dongle. They probably should have come up with a better way of separating those rather than creating a whole new app.
I agree with point #1. Yes, pay to play is the only way to get quality software without ad-bloat and spyware. The only thing I have a problem with is paying twice for the same thing -- or at least for the same functionality.

As to point #2... The thing is they didn't come up with a whole new app, they just forked their locked one off into a differently named rest-of-market, nearly 100% identical app. Which is smart since they tap a whole new market for selling what is otherwise included with their dongle. What I was getting at, and guess didn't state clearly, is if you buy an OBDLink dongle, you've already paid for the app and don't need to buy OBD Fusion or PID packs.

So you can lop $20 off the cost of the OBDLink h/w right off the bat, $35 if you need two PID packs, $50 for three etc.

I agree with point #1. Yes, pay to play is the only way to get quality software without ad-bloat and spyware. The only thing I have a problem with is paying twice for the same thing -- or at least for the same functionality.

As to point #2... The thing is they didn't come up with a whole new app, they just forked their locked one off into a differently named rest-of-market, nearly 100% identical app. Which is smart since they tap a whole new market for selling what is otherwise included with their dongle. What I was getting at, and guess didn't state clearly, is if you buy an OBDLink dongle, you've already paid for the app and don't need to buy OBD Fusion or PID packs.

So you can lop $20 off the cost of the OBDLink h/w right off the bat, $35 if you need two PID packs, $50 for three etc.
Sorry, I didn’t realize “spendy dongle” meant you already bought an obd link device. I agree with your assessment as far as not double dipping, which is basically my issue with how the app situation is handled.

I thought you were posting a way to circumvent their pay structure.

this is what happens when you drink and mud. Stay frosty!

I got T/C Lockup in 5th and 6th today around 35mph. With my gears that is only 1266 rpm in 5th. Even less in 6th.
Using the ‘warning ‘ function to do lockup color.

View attachment 2893294

Great Dashboard. Mine glitched/crashed for some reason, but I was able to reconstruct it without much difficulty except...

For the life of me I can't find a PID for gear status (what gear the transmission is in) that will work.

The answer is probably somewhere in this thread, but can you (or anyone else who knows) tell me which PID I should be using for gear status?

I'm using OBD Fusion and have the Toyota/Lexus PID package downloaded.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Great Dashboard. Mine glitched/crashed for some reason, but I was able to reconstruct it without much difficulty except...

For the life of me I can't find a PID for gear status (what gear the transmission is in) that will work.

The answer is probably somewhere in this thread, but can you (or anyone else who knows) tell me which PID I should be using for gear status?

I'm using OBD Fusion and have the Toyota/Lexus PID package downloaded.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
"Status of the Gear Position' in the ABS/VSC/Trac section

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom