DIY sleeping set-ups (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any other DIY'ers want to share their ideas/solutions for sleeping platforms?

This is what I came up with, note that the fridge slide/drawer have replaced the 3rd row, and are mounted on a carpeted piece of sealed plywood. This was mounted to the floor using existing holes, scrap sealed plywood peices to shim the right height and some riv-nuts.

I decided to go with 19mm 25kg/m3 polyurethane foam sheets, with Alu reinforcements, coated in 2 layers of 6oz fiberglass and epoxy. This gave a suprisingly lightweight solution (10.6kg/23.4lb), that is easy to put in and remove (all the parts just sit in place, there are no fasteners.

Before:
IMG_3338.jpeg

Work in progress:
IMG_3300.jpeg

Fiberglassing completed
IMG_3335.jpeg

Carpet installed
IMG_3337.jpeg

Final setup. Raised platform gives my wife enough room to sleep comfortably with her backpacking sleeping pad, although we do have to carefully plan her ingress/egress as it is a bit of a challenge to get ontop of the platform. My nemo air mattress fits on the lower side. The separate LHS front peice and RHS peice allows for use of the second row seats, and provides for some hidden storage.
IMG_3341.jpeg

Last edited:
Any other DIY'ers want to share their ideas/solutions for sleeping platforms?

This is what I came up with, note that the fridge slide/drawer have replaced the 3rd row, and are mounted on a carpeted piece of sealed plywood. This was mounted to the floor using existing holes, scrap sealed plywood peices to shim the right height and some riv-nuts.

I decided to go with 19mm 25kg/m3 polyurethane foam sheets, with Alu reinforcements, coated in 2 layers of 6oz fiberglass and epoxy. This gave a suprisingly lightweight solution (10.6kg/23.4lb), that is easy to put in and remove (all the parts just sit in place, there are no fasteners.

Before:
View attachment 3473988

Work in progress:
View attachment 3473990

Fiberglassing completed
View attachment 3473994

Carpet installed
View attachment 3473996

Final setup. Raised platform gives my wife enough room to sleep comfortably with her backpacking sleeping pad, although we do have to carefully plan her ingress/egress as it is a bit of a challenge to get ontop of the platform. My nemo air mattress fits on the lower side. The separate LHS front peice and RHS peice allows for use of the second row seats, and provides for some hidden storage.
View attachment 3474002
You and the wife both fit in that space? Or does on sleep on the lower and one on the upper bunk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom