DIY Roof Rack: The H-Moose! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew said:
Canyonlands is one of my favorite places-how about a report about the Maze when you return? I want to go there before the gas is all gone.

You can count on it.

Hayes

JohnnyC, thanks. Cran?

Cory, I thought is was Tooolie. Kind of like the local pronunciation of Tooele.

Hayes

I like these racks beacuse they're versatile, DIY, and perhaps best of all, you can still get it the garage with them on. For me though, I went with the Yakima setup. A smart e-bay shopper can get setup with towers, cross-bars and a load warrior rack for $275. Though I can't carry the volume of stuff as the *-moose racks, I can get cot, chairs, sleeping bags/pads, blankets, etc. etc. up there, and they all fit nicely in my duffel bags. Another advantage to the off-the-shelf solutions is that they can be mounted on other cars, or sold for nearly the price paid. But not nearly as cool as a rack you built yourself. :)
IMG_2185lowres.jpg

I really like the J Moose rack and the H moose rack.

Hayes---You really did a nice job. I have seen some racks made from ramps, and really like the curved aluminum on the sides.

The plasti dip turned out nice too. It looks really smooth.

Your roof rack makes me wish I still had my 80. Maybe I will try making a J/H moose rack for my 40.

Thule is pronouced Toolee....I know Reps. from Thule and this is how they say it. I also saw in one of their catalogs that this is the correct way to pronounce it.

Man, you guys are sleeping at the keyboard today - nobody's going to give me crap about my "far superior solution" comment? Heh....

DougM

Nice rack :D

I fabbed up my own thing as well... a little more simple if you know how to weld.

I just took a bunch of electrical conduit, bent it up to the shape I wanted, and welded it all together. The rack is pretty light, and it can hold me and other crap up on the roof. I used 6 yakima raingutter mounts that i got off ebay. Damn strong and total the rr was about $100. I don't have any pictures though. I'm at school and it's at home.

elmariachi said:
To me, the BIGGEST asset of these types of racks, besides the slightly lower cost, is how easy it must be to handle. Even with the positives of the ARB, it is an absolute moth^r$#c%e@ to handle and requires at least two adults to mount and dismount. It looks to me like one adult could easily handle these ATV racks with nothing but a ladder.

The COG is just something you get used to. By no means can you run a laden ARB without a lift. I am building up an M4216 trailer and if I can ever get it done, I may actually sell my rack altogether. Especially is gas stays this high.

Let me know if you sell it. I think it is a very handsome rack...must of been some badd-a$$ you got it from to begin with...

UPDATE:

Hauled a bunch of crap on the rack for 6 days in Canyonlands.
The rack itself worked flawlessly.
Couldn't be more pleased--except the Plastidip didn't hold up.

Anything hard--like a metal gas can--or sometimes even a firmly-cinched strap, abraded through the Plastidip. Once compromised, it even peels a wee bit--didn't seem to bond well to the aluminum.

Most of the paint issues are on the cargo surface, so you can't really see if unless you're looking down on the Cruiser. But over time it will look haggard. I'll repaint it with something else in a year or two.

VERDICT:

H-Moose--YES!

Plastidip--No.

Hayes

P.S. Unfortunately, my computer has proved far less reliable than my 80. It pretty much $hit the bed and died last week (sorry for the language).
As soon as I get its replacement up and working, I'll post a load of pictures and video from our Maze trip. (Next week?)

Hayes

...As soon as I get its replacement up and working, I'll post a load of pictures and video from our Maze trip. (Next week?)

Hayes

I've patiently been waiting 7 months for this update!! :flipoff2:

Seriously Hayes...how's the rack been holding up? I've got mine mostly built and am trying to decide on paint (rattle-can, powder-coat, etc.)

Anymore pics or load bearing road trips?

Thanks,
Matt

I've patiently been waiting 7 months for this update!! :flipoff2:

Seriously Hayes...how's the rack been holding up? I've got mine mostly built and am trying to decide on paint (rattle-can, powder-coat, etc.)

Anymore pics or load bearing road trips?

Thanks,
Matt

You must have missed the update. Here ya go:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=92957&highlight=Maze

As far as the rack goes, it's been holding up great. I have loaded it up for camping trips several times since first building it, and it has worked great. I typically load bulky, low density stuff on the rack (camp chairs, PETT toilet, etc), and I have carried my 5 gallon gas can up there many times. I'm looking to get some cheap dry bags so I can carry things like sleeping bags and clothes up there and not have to worry about the weather. I've also carried a whole bunch of firewood inside a big canvas roof sack.

No wear or tear is evident on the rack. It is still rigid and strong. The only complaint I could give is that the rails are really an odd size as far as getting the standard strap-hooks to fit. No biggie.

The Plasticote paint has held up good on the outside (visible) edges, but there are several places on the actual cargo surface where it has peeled off. I think it has not held up well because I didn't prep the aluminum for paint. I'm not really worried about it because everything on the rac is either aluminum or stainless steel--and you can't see the peeling paint unless you're looking down on the rack.

bderks,
I don't think I would use the H- or J-Moose as a base for a roof-top tent. It is a sturdy design, but it is certainly limited. It would work fine if the ramp part of the rack was mounted on top of some actual steel cross-bars (Yakima, Thule, whatever).

Hayes

Nice work on the Moose rack.
To each his own.
I have the yakima rain gutter mounts with cross bars, kayak stacker and space booster. This system works well for my needs. Carry a bunch o boats, though wet paddles and gear into the box. Pricey but easy and works.
When it comes to roof racks the most impressive setups I have ever seen were down in Costa Rica on the minibuses. Looks like beefy, stainless steal. I have search all over and have yet to find who makes them. They make everything else I have seen from Thule or yakima or J-Moose look like kids stuff. Serious expedition - tourismo - commercial style racks.

Question for either Hayes or Johnny - do you think that this rack would be strong enough to support the roof-top tent that Slee sells?

The tent linky

Paul May has his eezi-awn on a rack similar to this, only difference is he's using the ARB feet to attach to the 100 series mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom