DIY Reverse Eye Leafs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shannon Campbell used to put a short leaf upside down on the top of his leaf packs, it would help with axle wrap. should also have the same effect with the long leafs upside down.

When I took apart my 60 leafs, I noticed the 2 main leafs were extremely flexible. You could measure the diameter of the military wrap, find pipe similar size, then heat the wrap and hammer it around the pipe in the other direction. Not sure how much this will weaken the spring. Worst thing that could happen is the spring break and send the truck into oncoming traffic. Or just chop off the wrap and see what happens. Personally I would just shell out a little money to have alcan make u 2 main leafs for each pack with reverse eyes. Then add your other leafs to the new main leafs. Probably the safest way to do it. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

bumping this discussion back up a year later. I never got around to trying it but and still interested. After a year with several wheeling trips (probably 20-22 full days) my front springs have sagged about 3/4". I am going to be moving to 37's in a few months so going to do that first and see how much tire clearance i have before flipping spring eyes and see if it's possible to have the ride height even lower but with bigger tires without having to do a bunch of cutting.

If the leaf is close to flat already, I say go for it. Use the re-arching method you posted before. I’ll be following. If I can get ahold of some stock fj40 front springs, I’ll do the same.

I have repaired and also re-arched 'S'd springs using a hydraulic press and basically a small break made from angle iron. Did a bunch of short bends down the length, was surprisingly easy to do.
Go for it and report back.

If the leaf is close to flat already, I say go for it. Use the re-arching method you posted before. I’ll be following. If I can get ahold of some stock fj40 front springs, I’ll do the same.

I have some stock 40 front springs if you want them. My dad is up in Denver quite a bit.

Just use a leaf that already has the eye flipped.

Or have Deaver make you a set.

Cheers

The point is to use stuff that is already here. Custom springs from a Deaver/Alcan/Atlas are nice but completely misses the point

$850 isn't nothing. If there's a set of junkyard springs that work just as well and cost $100, then we all win.

If you could make it work without killing the main leaf you would also need to clearance here because the leaf would exit higher up. It's no fun having the main leaf shear when on a trail. Happened to me.
Capture.PNG

I need to flip my front springs around to move my front axle back a little bit to work with bigger tires, and I have now gotten enough use out of my previously very nice low-mileage stock FJ62 rear springs that I have up front that I wouldn't mind potentially damaging them for experimentation. So I'm finally going to try this. I have a single complete FJ62 spring pack so I will have a spare main leave and hopefully can make two add-a-leafs from it as well.
Thanks for noticing the clearance issue with my front hangers, yes you're right I think I will have to take some of that out.

I’m picking up a bunch of random fj40 leafs and packs from a local club member tomorrow. I’ll likely be joining you in this experiment.

Found this video, they are removing lift by “de-arching”. Pretty similar idea.

Yep, it doesn’t look that difficult. My concern is longevity but my springs are getting pretty close to flat currently so I’m thinking that going to an opposite arch isn’t too much of a change?

What about maybe getting the whole leaf red hot and just c clamp it in reverse to the leaf pack with c clamp vise grips? Would probably need 3 people with 3 torches to get the whole leaf hot though.
Leaf springs go through a heat treatment process. Heating them up like that would ruin them.

Ya I believe that would change the temper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom