DIY Reverse Eye Leafs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright. One down. Once I completely disassembled the spring pack the main leaf had a pretty good arch in it and it was clear that it probably wasn’t going to be able to be easily assembled in the other direction, I think it’s possible, but I couldn’t get a clear hypothesis on what that would do to the spring rate.
So I decided to scrap that idea and just re-arch it.
It was relatively easy with the 12 ton press (with a 8 ton jack in it) once I got the technique down, only took about 45 minutes. I just used some thickwall square tube and eyeballed it. Would be faster with a stronger press.

I painted templates on the floor of the pack before disassembly, the main leaf before re-arching, and the main leaf after re arching.
I actually managed to over-arch the main leaf in the other direction and it gave the completed pack a little more arch, hopefully that stiffens up the ride a little.

As predicted I will need to clearance the back of the front hangers a bit

A37FE1C1-DE83-4732-B5C3-BE2370B5E7C5.jpeg
C393D9CC-4046-45F9-8975-ECC639193E22.jpeg
194FB291-5331-4010-B563-E158EE9F12A0.jpeg
F066FE32-282D-4338-BBE2-EF6D05B7F632.jpeg

Good job on the spring. You may want to notch the spring hanger so you do not bend the spring when it flexes up.

Good job on the spring. You may want to notch the spring hanger so you do not bend the spring when it flexes up.

thank you I had no idea

#2 done. Much faster this time. Pressed with more force and went in smaller increments and was able to flatten the main leaf and have it re-arched in the other direction in about 20 minutes

Completed pack:

image.jpg

Last edited:
#2 done. Much faster this time. Pressed with more five and didn’t smaller increments and was able to on have the main leaf flattened and re arched the other direction in about 20 minutes

View attachment 2585025

Are you afraid it is going to loose any of the springyness from the rearching?

How’s the ride height look now?

Just got it all bolted back up. Still need to bleed brakes and clutch and then drive it and see if the springs snap the first time I hit a speed bump at 50mph

Ride height dropped about 2” in the front as expected, I still need to swap my shorter shackles in the rear to level it. This ride height was what I was planning when I first built everything, should be about 20” ground to the frame.

This is a 35" tire, I also flipped the springs (long side forwards now, rear-most spring perch position) which moved my axle back 1", it was 3.5" forwards from stock before. This will keep the tires out of the core support when i put 37's on.

image.jpg

9DD0BB77-5A01-4247-AE7E-1BC73272AD5C.jpeg

879FA99B-8613-4B90-BD8F-724510942B0C.jpeg

I was curious so I called Alcan this morning and they said they’d make me individual main leaves with reverse eyes for $120 a piece which is actually very reasonable. So I’ll have that in mind as a back-up in case these fail or wear out really fast.

Did you ask them what they thought about how you made yours?

Yeah, they said they wouldn't make it around the block :lol:

So I just drove it around the block, and I made it so I'm winning so far!

Keep that Alcan offer in mind. The way you bent the leaf to arch it might create stress points at the locations where you bent them. I know it's a different situation, but my front main leaves built stress points (fatigue) where the leaf clamps were (from lots of articulation while wheeling). That caused one spring to shear at that location.

Keep that Alcan offer in mind. The way you bent the leaf to arch it might create stress points at the locations where you bent them. I know it's a different situation, but my front main leaves built stress points (fatigue) where the leaf clamps were (from lots of articulation while wheeling). That caused one spring to shear at that location.

Yep, I will most likely buy Alcan main leafs when these get too sagged out. The other option I might do on my setup are Rubicon Express Jeep YJ springs which can be purchased with a reverse eye. They a few inches shorter then my current spring springs but I think would let me use a shorter shackle which would be nice. Just not sure if they’ll fit in my hangers or not.

I'm winning so far!
I’ve seen lots of home re-arched springs to raise or lower vehicles done exactly like you have done over the last 40 years and I can’t think of hearing about any failing because of changing the arch. I do believe leaf springs fail for a variety of reasons and re-arching could be one of them but fearmongering to make a sale by telling someone “you won’t make it around the block” is a tactic that would get my sales guy fired, a better reply would have been your method is less than ideal and we can provide you with a few of those better methods if or when yours give you any issues.

Good luck the new springs look great!

I’ve seen lots of home re-arched springs to raise or lower vehicles done exactly like you have done over the last 40 years and I can’t think of hearing about any failing because of changing the arch. I do believe leaf springs fail for a variety of reasons and re-arching could be one of them but fearmongering to make a sale by telling someone “you won’t make it around the block” is a tactic that would get my sales guy fired, a better reply would have been your method is less than ideal and we can provide you with a few of those better methods if or when yours give you any issues.

Good luck the new springs look great!

I was paraphrasing
But yes

Update. About 2500 road miles of daily driving, and a trail ride weekend which including a 2ft jump and no issues or sagging yet.

Update. About 2500 road miles of daily driving, and a trail ride weekend which including a 2ft jump and no issues or sagging yet.
Any change in the way she rides? Same as before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom