DIY: Replacing heater hose pipe T's *important* (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I originally did too but had to let it go for ease of future use.
The hoses at 149,000 still looked to be in great shape.
At least the clamps are oriented for a quick and easy hose swap if it ever comes to it.

Good job. Looks great.

I originally did too but had to let it go for ease of future use.
At least the clamps are oriented for a quick and easy hose swap if it ever comes to it.
For sure...your underhood is so darn clean....heater hoses look good to go!!

Thanks everyone. Tackled this today I’d say one banana at most. Also minimal coolant loss.

Seems like the right T’s get the brunt of the damage. My right one snapped when taking it off. The plastic ring that loops around the right hose broke too so I’ll have to order that.

I managed to make it 300 miles on these, not sure how long the previous owner had them like this, but it definitely made me nervous.

Happy thanksgiving

584441C1-1DD0-4964-8080-4994987F24F0.jpeg

E137A6FA-C20A-4080-97D3-1557170D92A5.jpeg

E6B137B5-53D0-4042-A689-198A1BB4E1A1.jpeg

Thanks everyone. Tackled this today I’d say one banana at most. Also minimal coolant loss.

Seems like the right T’s get the brunt of the damage. My right one snapped when taking it off. The plastic ring that loops around the right hose broke too so I’ll have to order that.

I managed to make it 300 miles on these, not sure how long the previous owner had them like this, but it definitely made me nervous.

Happy thanksgiving

View attachment 2144205

View attachment 2144206

View attachment 2144207

Looks like you dodged a bullet!!

Not sure how the PO was able to drive like that without worry. Looks great now!!

Hm I bought OEM plastic Ts but a having second thoughts about getting the Four Seasons metal tees.

Last edited:
Hm I bought OEM plastic Ts but a having second thoughts about getting the Four Seasons metal tees.

I replaced mine with metal but the OEM's will last you another 15 worry free years, so no reason not to use them since you already have them.

Typically...its the Drivers/Inlet side (hot side) that gets brittle over time, the return side (a bit cooler) seems to hold up better. In any case, just replace them with something and call it a day.

That same "mushy" plastic issue happened on my 09 LS460 radiator reservoir nose nipple, broke off while leaning on it changing the drive belt, easy job turned into an expensive job.....10 years, i GUESS that's OK. :)

As a datapoint, I replaced my T's this past Sunday, while also installing a new radiator, thermostat and hoses.

The T's looked like they had years of life left in them. This is for an '06 LX470 that's been in coastal Los Angeles its whole life, 126k miles, garages, used mostly as a mom wagon and family vacation vehicle.

Another datapoint - '03 LC with 170k miles. Hot side crumbled upon touch, return side wasn't too bad. Went with OEM - figured it would last another 16 years :)

Does anyone know if these hoses are pressurized? I'm blowing fluid while driving and it's obviously hitting the engine because I can smell the burning fluid. I'm not showing any leaks on the ground and not smell when parked. Only while driving and briefly afterwards.

and does anybody replace the hoses while they are in there?

Yes, myself and others have decided to replace the hoses as part of the process. I went with the Toyota OEM hoses, but other folks have cut their own to fit each application.

I found it to be a slightly safer option to just replace the hoses, on the hot side especially, just to keep pieces of the tee from breaking off when trying to reuse a hose. I cut the hose assembly off on either side of the tee to keep plastic pieces from falling off.

Replaced the T’s on my new to me 1999 with 138k. I could crumble the drivers side between two fingers and the other with a bit more effort. Great piece of mind job.

658676EF-ADBD-458D-81EA-60BE4963DADB.jpeg

Replaced the T’s on my new to me 1999 with 138k. I could crumble the drivers side between two fingers and the other with a bit more effort. Great piece of mind job.

View attachment 2164736

Your's is a good example of the Tee not having to look 'discolored' (usually brown looking) to actually be weak or in need of replacement.

Thanks for posting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom