DIY: Replacing heater hose pipe T's *important* (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Late to the party... but what's the business on "rear heater" replacement? More hidden Heater T's need to be done for preventative maintenance in the rear?

The heater Ts are the pipes/Ts that are for those with rear heaters. There are not any other hidden Ts that need to be dealt with other than the ones in this thread behind the engine. (edit: that I am aware of)

And to update my progress, I got all of mine replaced last night. Used the OEM Clips and pre-built the pipes/Ts before putting them which made it easy to install. Thanks for the advice over the years. Oh I also followed the instructions on an earlier page to purge the system of air by parking on an incline and leaving the radiator cap open as the air bubbles made their way out of the system.

just happened to 2007 LC with 220k miles, the driver side Tee had a small leak, so had it replaced. glad I did as the broken part was still one single piece inside the hose. Thank you all for the info!!

LC07_Tee1.jpg

LC07_Tee2.jpg

Very happy i was proactive. Shop told me they were fine no issues, i insisted they get changed along with hoses and asked for parts. One was fine the other one fell apart.
Thank You Ih8mud Forum!

590D63A4-421D-4579-8496-A7E8EC73486C.jpeg

C0EB91DD-0E61-4135-B96A-15D23DF717E4.jpeg

4B2AB462-47B0-4916-B4A5-876B63FA60BB.jpeg

41A41A7E-82BD-4750-801D-AA51AAC30AAD.jpeg

B1A2D67C-2F5A-4EE8-8302-40652228B458.jpeg

Very happy i was proactive. Shop told me they were fine no issues, i insisted they get changed along with hoses and asked for parts. One was fine the other one fell apart.
Thank You Ih8mud Forum!

View attachment 2245600

View attachment 2245601

View attachment 2245602

View attachment 2245603

View attachment 2245604

Yep, quite common. Usually the Inlet side (outboard most T on drivers side). Except for them turning brown...'visually' you can not assess or trust their condition. You were wise to have them replaced. I discovered (thankfully) how brittle mine were while changing the starter on my LX. I barely (and I do mean barely) bumped one of the hoses with the intake manifold and the 'T' broke in two.

It is one of those things that is fairly easily replaced, but will leave on the side of the road if it breaks.

I chose to replace mine with a metal 'Tees' but OEM should be good for 10+ years easily.

Yep, quite common. Usually the Inlet side (outboard most T on drivers side). Except for them turning brown...'visually' you can not assess or trust their condition. You were wise to have them replaced. I discovered (thankfully) how brittle mine were while changing the starter on my LX. I barely (and I do mean barely) bumped one of the hoses with the intake manifold and the 'T' broke in two.

It is one of those things that is fairly easily replaced, but will leave on the side of the road if it breaks.

I chose to replace mine with a metal 'Tees' but OEM should be good for 10+ years easily.
What size are the tee’s I’ll look for metal ones
I’m in uk

What size are the tee’s I’ll look for metal ones
I’m in uk

Do a 'search' (Heater Tees) in this forum and you will get varying opinions on what size is best. The vertical hoses off of the bypass are a bit smaller than the others.

Because I reused my still good (pliable) hoses I went with a slightly larger size than many others used in order to insure a good seal since used hoses will exhibit a slight amount of 'bell' at the connection end. If using new hoses....I would not have gone with the diameter I did.

Most folks (going to metal Tees) use a 5/8" X 1/2". I went 3/4" x 5/8" and got a good tight fit on the original hoses. Again...my hoses were still serviceable, not cracked or hard...but having some 'memory' (belling) from the old Tees. I've not had any leaks or issues.

Heater Tee1.jpg

Heater Tee2.jpg

Do a 'search' (Heater Tees) in this forum and you will get varying opinions on what size is best. The vertical hoses off of the bypass are a bit smaller than the others.

Because I reused my still good (pliable) hoses I went with a slightly larger size than many others used in order to insure a good seal since used hoses will exhibit a slight amount of 'bell' at the connection end. If using new hoses....I would not have gone with the diameter I did.

Most folks (going to metal Tees) use a 5/8" X 1/2". I went 3/4" x 5/8" and got a good tight fit on the original hoses. Again...my hoses were still serviceable, not cracked or hard...but having some 'memory' (belling) from the old Tees. I've not had any leaks or issues.

View attachment 2245758

View attachment 2245760
Thanks

Mine looked OK at 135k, but still glad to have the peace of mind.

Miles or time? I only had 168k on the clock but truck is a 2000. I got it done after seeing the post pop up on mud and would of done it sooner if i knew.

135k total miles on a 2005. I am not the original owner, but I would wager they had never been done.

For $25 of OEM parts and judicious use of profanity, it was worth it for me. Oh, I used short Kiwi pliers and it helped a ton. The angle makes it much easier of you have factory clamp locations. 183k miles on 01. New one on right, drivers side old one was toast on the left. No wonder my resevoir was damn near empty.

image-20200324_102926.jpg

Very helpful, had a leaking coolant and found it to be dripping from this Tee. Opened one up and found it to have snapped two sides off (Hot side). One side on the cold side snapepd off whilst removing. My problem now is, with the AUS spec 105 series... it looks like:
1x Tee
1x Angled Tee

Does anyone here know the specific part for the angled Tee? Can't seem to find one anywhere...

Angle T.jpg

Regular T.jpg

91510757_771195303410517_2524758724946427904_n.jpg

Very helpful, had a leaking coolant and found it to be dripping from this Tee. Opened one up and found it to have snapped two sides off (Hot side). One side on the cold side snapepd off whilst removing. My problem now is, with the AUS spec 105 series... it looks like:
1x Tee
1x Angled Tee

Does anyone here know the specific part for the angled Tee? Can't seem to find one anywhere...

View attachment 2255145

View attachment 2255146

View attachment 2255147

FYI, bought the car second hand, so also open to the fact that this was just a hardware store fix, and not the actual OEM part...

so I’ve just done the replacement on my relatively new to me truck. I’m sure this is mentioned elsewhere in the thread but worth posting because it can be easy to miss and could save you a little trouble:

1)You cannot rely on a visual inspection of these things. Yes they do turn brownish as they get old, but they can look totally normal and still be brittle. My “normal” looking ones both disintegrated when being removed.

2) The often recommended 5/8–5/8–1/2 heater reduction fitting is a poor choice in my opinion. If you are lucky you can supposedly crank the 1/2 side clamp down tight enough to prevent leaking, although I was unable to do so without stripping the worm clamp. as another poster mentioned previously, a 3/4-3/4-5/8, while being 2 mm larger in diameter for each connection than the stock fitting, fits just fine and prevents any chance of leaks.

The OEM clamps will not need to be retightened like most screw type clamps. They worked fine on mine with no leaks. Replaced all the heater hoses with OEM parts at the same time. Rear heater included. Should be good for another 14 years.

So is there a similar concern for the "rear heater" hose underneath the truck?

I've read all 34 pages.

I've ordered all OEM parts:
6 hoses
12 clips
2 "T" pieces

I'm now second-guessing my clips.

According to Partsouq using my 2006 LX470 VIN# I get the following diagram:

1588357120806.png

So on my order I have:

1588357181752.png

Are the 96136-52101 clips useless? @hiteckredneck @flintknapper Should I have ordered 8 of the 96134-42100 ???

Are we confirming that 96136-52101 is an unnecessary/un-useable clip in this situation going forward?

I hesitate to post this because I don't enjoy :deadhorse: but I'm confused at this point...

Sorry guys

I've read all 34 pages.

I've ordered all OEM parts:
6 hoses
12 clips
2 "T" pieces

I'm now second-guessing my clips.

According to Partsouq using my 2006 LX470 VIN# I get the following diagram:

View attachment 2291752

So on my order I have:

View attachment 2291758

Are the 96136-52101 clips useless? @hiteckredneck @flintknapper Should I have ordered 8 of the 96134-42100 ???

Are we confirming that 96136-52101 is an unnecessary/un-useable clip in this situation going forward?

I hesitate to post this because I don't enjoy :deadhorse: but I'm confused at this point...

Sorry guys

Well, this is not going to help you but I received the same diagram from the Lexus dealership with 3 sets of clips x 4 each yesterday. I have the same confusion.

The wits end kit appears to use all one size clip.

Lexus dealer quoted me $400 for parts + 3 hours labor @ $154 per hour. Ordered the parts from a local dealership giving 30% off parts plus free shipping, so total was $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom