DIY new windshield or have it installed by a pro? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I have a few extra bucks and really need to install a new windshield.
I think I can swing installing it myself unless there's a some really tricky issues I can't handle.
Any reason I shouldn't do this at home?
Any tips, thoughts?
thanks!

Do you have the salary that goes on both sides? Check the FSM for details. Just get glass coverage on yur auto insurance then get it done after.

I pulled one pretty easy but honestly would leave the install to the pros. That moment you break the corner..

Don't do it. Any shop would have two experienced guys handling it, with the right tools and sealant. It sounds like you're saying you're going to wing it in your driveway solo. Don't. I've never installed a windshield, mind you, but I'm pretty handy.
It's also worth knowing Toyota still sells the OEM seal. When I called Safelite last year to have my windshield replaced, they the installer told me he would use a generic seal, not OEM. So, make sure you get the Toyota seal.
Good luck.

I had mine done last year by Safelite. Needed the factory seal and then still had a small leak. Had to take it back to their shop to have it pulled and re-installed by the senior tech. He said that these are not one of the easy ones to do.

It's a job that takes two, especially for a big beastie like this one. The advice has already been given, I'm just seconding it as worth taking.

Have them do it by the book - the FSM. It's old school, but it's what works best. Otherwise you end up with leaks that lead to rust in places that is hard to get to. Have them treat any rust that is unveiled by pulling the old glass, too.

I did it with Mr AlohaJen on our 60 series. Same overall size as the 80 windshield and same fsm procedure with the sealant. Was pretty easy and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again, but a third person would have made it a 5 min job. Neither of us had done before, just YouTube it and used the string method. Pics or it didn’t happen...
15D68497-CE72-4AB8-9310-087A5C825469.jpeg

4E227AA1-09D2-41F7-8E8E-AC75D9D4D960.jpeg

42A089D5-A9BF-46CA-B19F-2453E01D84FE.jpeg

I don’t remember if these are the 80 or 60 instructions, but I believe they were almost the same for both.
14FBF7FF-CBC4-4FEA-A8CA-826FD3FFD0FA.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, what are people paying to have their windshields replaced?

I accept the Aloha Jen challenge.
It's been so long since I've been on here I forgot all about how ridiculously stunning you are.
Nice work on the windshield, thanks for the inspiration, I'm gonna go for it.
I bet those suction cups were super handy! I didn't even think about that, adding some to the list.

Just FYI, when rust was found along the edge of the windshield, under the rubber, the body shop sourced a wider and tighter windshield gasket to keep moisture and dirt out of this well known cancer area.

I accept the Aloha Jen challenge.
It's been so long since I've been on here I forgot all about how ridiculously stunning you are.
Nice work on the windshield, thanks for the inspiration, I'm gonna go for it.
I bet those suction cups were super handy! I didn't even think about that, adding some to the list.
I wasn’t trying to challenge you, certainly don’t want you or anybody to do something they are not comfortable with. But I was surprised at how many people were telling you to leave it to the experts. It’s a pretty simple job, just don’t break the glass!

The windshield shop wanted $200 to install it, so just figured we try it ourselves. Got it in no problem, then took that money I saved and bought a pair of shoes and a couple bikinis! The suction cups worked good for applying pressure from the inside. They aren’t nessesary, especially if you have 2 helpers. One on each side applying pressure as you pull the string out and seal the gasket around the body lip. Start from the bottom and work your way up. Good luck with it, I’m sure you will be surprised how easy it was after you get it in.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what are people paying to have their windshields replaced?
Had mine done via my ins policy. Windshields are a no ding flat $100 dealio. New glass, seal, install and choice of shop to do it. Given the glass isn't OEM, I still opted this route.

Had mine done via my ins policy. Windshields are a no ding flat $100 dealio. New glass, seal, install and choice of shop to do it. Given the glass isn't OEM, I still opted this route.
That being said, they goofed the install EVEN with the FSM left in the front seat for them. The shop does however have a lifetime guarantee, 2nd install seems to be fine.

The screen is easy enough with two, main issue is use OEM rubber seal, and NOT the sealant used for modern screens.

Corrrect seal is always flexible, often called 'caulking', the 80 body flexes and squeaks like mad against hard sealant. Modern sealants set hard, this is because the screen becomes part of the body strength.

Regards

Dave

One other tip if you haven’t finished installing yet. I was told it’s best to drive around a while after getting the glass in but before the sealant is applied. With no rain, drive around for a while and take it on some rough roads to let the glass and gasket get settled, then apply your sealant. I guess the theory is it less likely to move around as much later and break the sealant bond, thus allowing it to leak. At least that is what I was told, but sounded like good advice.

I’m surprised how many people are scared of doing the windshield. How are you going to learn having someone else do all the work? I guess that’s why I prefer to do things myself..... expierience. Heck, if it wrong I’ll re-do it..... guarantee the second time will be right!......... “Built By ME.... not bought”

I’m surprised how many people are scared of doing the windshield. How are you going to learn having someone else do all the work? I guess that’s why I prefer to do things myself..... expierience. Heck, if it wrong I’ll re-do it..... guarantee the second time will be right!......... “Built By ME.... not bought”
Because being a single dad working 80hr weeks there is time better spent, don't get me wrong there are projects I like to tackle; but time management comes in to play and I don't feel like fxxxing around with a windshield. :p

I had a local guy do it who works out of a car wash. Great dude and did a great job. It was right around $200 with new gasket.

I've also been through a lot of rain and haven't had a single leak. It has been about 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom