DIY new windshield or have it installed by a pro? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn’t use any sealant, I don’t think the fsm calls for any, either way no leaks on my side and we get plenty of precipitation in kodiak

My 80 has aftermarket front glass. it's got some cracks and lots of chips. Been like that since I got the vehicle 7 yrs ago. I have a brand new factory rubber to go with a replacement glass. I'm told almost all aftermarket windscreens are not as thick as OEM factory glass. Going to see if I can find a place to replace the glass soon (since I want to eliminate it as a possible water leak source and also inspect the area to see if it's got rust).

That sealer product (p/n 08833-00030) shows NLA through amayama. Through partsouq it comes back as not in stock but described as 'THREE CEMENT' so guessing it is (or was) a Three-Bond product. The site also shows a substitute with p/n 08704-00060 which is called 'KLEBER'.

Three-bond's present-day Australian website doesn't seem to list anything that's specifically for windscreen sealing.

BTW Amayama won't ship glass panels and I have not tried to see what Toyota Australia would charge RRP for a new genuine 80 series windscreen. 56111-60090 is the p/n toyodiy reports for my 80's front windscreen. Amayama quotes A$1123 ex-Japan and A$1316 ex-Australia (both without shipping). Partsouq quotes A$282 ex-UAE (none in stock) or a substitute of 56111-60200 (which are in stock) priced at A$296 ex-UAE.

Amayama's quoted price for that part is A$1131 ex-Japan and A$391 ex-Australia. That's truly bizarre! 56111-60200 cross-references in Toyodiy as being suitable for all years of 80 series. Perhaps only for Aus market though and maybe not for the USA?

Windscreen replacement without proper equipment to handle the glass isn't a one-person job. And as all 80's aka LX450's are now officially 'old', rust around windscreen openings is a very real possibility and a windscreen guy isn't going to have the time or supplies to take care of rust and paint decay in body metalwork around the windscreen opening.

Last edited:
FSM just gives the number and states 'autoglass sealer or equivalent', given the body flexes over rough ground, I would go for a non hardrning product.

I was given an ebay link for some decent stuff but buggered if I can find it now...sorry.

Regards

Dave

I always wondered how they safely ship a windshield across the country. Turns out sometimes they don't :frown:. It was well packed, but I guess not well enough.

The good news is RockAuto issued me a full refund in less than 12 hours. Bad news is that was the last bronze windshield and they say they can't find another :bang:. Back to square one...

Cracked.jpg

You may gain experience by doing this job yourself, but you'll never have a 1 year replacement warranty or 3 year chip repair that the Glass Doctor in North Pole offers...money well spent imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom