DIY new windshield or have it installed by a pro? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did it with Mr AlohaJen on our 60 series. Same overall size as the 80 windshield and same fsm procedure with the sealant. Was pretty easy and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again, but a third person would have made it a 5 min job. Neither of us had done before, just YouTube it and used the string method. Pics or it didn’t happen...
View attachment 1684452
View attachment 1684453
View attachment 1684454

I don’t remember if these are the 80 or 60 instructions, but I believe they were almost the same for both.
View attachment 1684455

So the sealant is added AFTER the glass is in?

Also, did you have to remove or drop the headliner or any of the A pillar trim?

Can you show us how you were holding the suction cups?

The FSM I have says to apply adhesive after glass is in vehicle. I'm installing mine in a day or so. Thanks for the info Aloha Jen.

So the sealant is added AFTER the glass is in?

Also, did you have to remove or drop the headliner or any of the A pillar trim?

Can you show us how you were holding the suction cups?
According to the fsm you put the sealant in after. I posted a picture of the page from the fsm, but maybe you overlooked it! Here it is again.....wouldn’t want you to go all the way back to the first page to look for it.
A961817C-3E9D-48B6-995B-F14142E0E010.jpeg

Because being a single dad working 80hr weeks there is time better spent, don't get me wrong there are projects I like to tackle; but time management comes in to play and I don't feel like ****ing around with a windshield. :p

Try being a career Marine in a Grunt Battalion...... I envied single parents!
I understand the time deal, maybe as your kids get older they will join you in a build. That helped me “re -bond” with our daughters after every tour in the sand..... wouldn’t trade the together time for anything!

I am thinking about doing my LX450 windshield. When purchased I received documents saying that the original owner had it replaced at an Acura dealership/service center which may explain all the gobs of silicone on the inside. Mine is turning milky like the layers are separating. I've changed a windshield before using the string method like Aloha Jen described and it was very fast, however that wasn't a 80. I've seen someone mention getting the sealant cheaper from Lowes or Homedepot as it is marketed for some DIY purpose. I don't remember who on Mud said it, but if you tackle the project, it might be worth the search for it. Since All my vehicles start out as project vehicles I do all the work as it is my hobby. I understand some people don't have spare vehicles or time for all projects.

So this is me pulling for you if you take on the challenge.

Really want to redo mine. The shop that did it has done it 3 times now... They warranty their work, but when it was still leaking after the 3rd time I told them I wasnt bringing it back, wasn't worth having to drive it there and find a ride back to work and picking it up. SO, how hard is it going to be to get out? They sealed around the body and glass, but not enough from what I can see

Really want to redo mine. The shop that did it has done it 3 times now... They warranty their work, but when it was still leaking after the 3rd time I told them I wasnt bringing it back, wasn't worth having to drive it there and find a ride back to work and picking it up. SO, how hard is it going to be to get out? They sealed around the body and glass, but not enough from what I can see
Just a question, did your shop use a new factory gasket each time they installed the windshield, or did they use an aftermarket gasket? From what I've read factory gaskets are they only way to go, and most glass shops don't use them. That's why many members here make it a point to buy a factory gasket, and have their glass installer us it when they do the install, instead of the aftermarket gasket the installer brought with them.

Last edited:
Just a question, did your shop use a new factory gasket each time they installed the windshield, or did they use an aftermarket gasket? From what I've read factory gaskets are they only way to go, and most glass shops don't use them. That's why many members here make it a point to buy a factory gasket, and have their glass installer us it when they do the install, instead of the aftermarket gasket the installer brought with them.
I used an aftermarket gasket (Precision Brand) and it worked just fine. In my opinion, it’s all about the urethane sealant and how it’s applied as instructed in the fsm. If you used the oem gasket and did not use a sealant, it will probably leak at some point. In the ridiculous amount of pages/threads that I read on windshield installs, the majority of complaints about leaks after installations from professional windshield installers was either them not using a sealant, using a rigid/wrong sealant, or not following the proper application of the sealant in the fsm. Anyways, just my two cents.

I’ll own it.

I don’t have the “huevos” of @Aloha Jen & Co. :hillbilly:

I’ll do a motor refresh / total motor swap on any project vehicle, but I leave glass bonding, trans rebuilds, and 3rd member setups -to the pros.

I may cut a check, but I only cut a check once that way. :grinpimp:

The screen is easy enough with two, main issue is use OEM rubber seal, and NOT the sealant used for modern screens.

Corrrect seal is always flexible, often called 'caulking', the 80 body flexes and squeaks like mad against hard sealant. Modern sealants set hard, this is because the screen becomes part of the body strength.

Regards

Dave

What is the source and part # for the “right” urethane sealant? Sikaflex something?

Easy Peasy. Rope (synthetic) method works like a charm and make sure you use an OEM gasket! I was pretty nervous before doing it because of all the people on here saying it was such a difficult task. I called BS, very rewarding DIY...

Edit: If there is old adhesive around the windshield opening it is a complete bitch to remove it before you install the windshield. Invest in a 3M eraser wheel....you'll need it

What is the source and part # for the “right” urethane sealant? Sikaflex something?

Unsure on your side of the pond of the correct name/number, I don't want to give you a bum steer, it should not set hard so perhaps someone will pipe in with some help?

I can tell you, if you use the material that sets solid, the racket the screen makes when cold and moving over rough surfaces will drive you bonkers, ask me how I know.

Regards

Dave

I used an aftermarket gasket (Precision Brand) and it worked just fine. In my opinion, it’s all about the urethane sealant and how it’s applied as instructed in the fsm. If you used the oem gasket and did not use a sealant, it will probably leak at some point. In the ridiculous amount of pages/threads that I read on windshield installs, the majority of complaints about leaks after installations from professional windshield installers was either them not using a sealant, using a rigid/wrong sealant, or not following the proper application of the sealant in the fsm. Anyways, just my two cents.
Jen you are correct, the sealant plays a big part in making sure that when your done, you don't end up with any leaks. But, just as important as using the correct sealant, so is using an OEM gasket. The biggest problem I've run into with aftermarket weather stripping is their quality control. The problem with aftermarket rubber parts, since they are not made in the original molds like the OEM gaskets were, their fit on the vehicle your installing them on can leave alot to be desired. More then once the holes for the attaching fasteners to mount the weather stripping were not molded in the correct factory locations. YMMV

Last edited:
Yep my first screen new rubber was a copy, and leaked badly. Next one he assured me it was OE rubber but he used the wrong sealant! So I decided to do it myself, just not had the time.

It will be OE rubber and non hardening sealant.

Regards

Dave

Yep my first screen new rubber was a copy, and leaked badly. Next one he assured me it was OE rubber but he used the wrong sealant! So I decided to do it myself, just not had the time.

It will be OE rubber and non hardening sealant.

Regards

Dave
In removing the glass should I just cut the gasket? The glass is new. I'm going to get a new gasket and try reinstalling it myself.

How are you going to learn having someone else do all the work?

My thoughts exactly :^)

My windshield has been cracked since last summer and I wanted to get through the winter salt before putting new glass in. This thread gave me the impetus to try replacing it on my own.

1. Bronze glass from RockAuto will be here Friday ($228 + $70 shipping)
  2. Already have new OEM gasket
  3. Urethane sealant ($10-$15 on Amazon)

Cheapest I could get a local shop to do it was $380 and this gives me the chance to inspect the windshield frame for rust and clean it up properly.

Win/Win as I save money and, more importantly, learn a new skill.

Do it yourself! I had to do mine with an extra set of hands bc in kodiak the mechanic shops are insanely expensive. I couldn’t believe how easy that job was. Cut the old gasket, put the new one on the new window, remove the shroud that covers the wipers and put it in, and pull the string. In and out in 30 minutes for me doing it the first time. I was nervous about breaking it but it went well and 2 years later no leaks and still in one piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom