DIY Armor Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

Maybe I'm just not putting the right keywords together but I wasn't able to find much of anything on this topic in here.

I've got a 2000 LX 470, for which I'm looking to make my own armor. I'll leave the #1 cover for now because of the complexity of the contours, but given that I purchased the vehicle at auction for what amounts to a bag of peanut shells, I'm just treating it as a DIY project. it's missing the #2 cover, the transfer case plate, etc. I'd like to skip a step and put some underside armor on him. I've been enjoying the couple concurrent steel projects I've got going at the moment, and was thinking about fabricating my own armor panels.

Does anyone have any intel on thickness and reinforcing components on armor, the likes of ARB and such? I just don't have prior experience with this this, and can't determine from their websites if they are purely just plates, or plates reinforced with bars or C-channel, anything like that.

Thank yall in advance for any info!

You're the man, I'll run with the scent. Thank you.
I’ve been looking myself. I’ve got an ASFIR front skid, but believe I can fab the rest myself. I like this design, but may go wider. Similar to the BIOR skids. I’m all about supporting the vendors on here but if I can do it myself and save myself some coin I will. Good luck in your endeavors.

Think about cooling. Those cats get hot and if not vented well it may melt wiring insulation. Also with E10 fuel, extra heat to fuel system may overload your charcoal canister. After heat damaged my wiring split loom tubing to the transmission, I punched some extra holes in my Dissent skid plates.

Think about cooling. Those cats get hot and if not vented well it may melt wiring insulation. Also with E10 fuel, extra heat to fuel system may overload your charcoal canister. After heat damaged my wiring split loom tubing to the transmission, I punched some extra holes in my Dissent skid plates.
Good call on heat transfer. I was planning to just go with holes... any reason I’d need to get fancy with channeling or anything?

Good call on heat transfer. I was planning to just go with holes... any reason I’d need to get fancy with channeling or anything?
Holes should be good. If you have seen the threads here on fuel tank pressure, E10 fuel and you are going with fuller coverage under there, might want some channeling to keep fuel lines cooler, or heat away from them.

Holes should be good. If you have seen the threads here on fuel tank pressure, E10 fuel and you are going with fuller coverage under there, might want some channeling to keep fuel lines cooler, or heat away from them.
You’re the man. I have my research project for the next couple days, while frozen into the house. Thanks for the insight!

I read a post somewhere talking about all the research budbuilt did on heat when designing skids. Basically found out the holes didnt affect anything because heat rises anyway.

I'm also about to build myself some skids so I'll be following here.

I read a post somewhere talking about all the research budbuilt did on heat when designing skids. Basically found out the holes didnt affect anything because heat rises anyway.

I'm also about to build myself some skids so I'll be following here.
That is probably the case at idle. Just a wild ass guess here, but think if you are moving and have 20+mph wind coming in the front grill and flowing under the truck holes might have some effect.

I appreciate both of yalls input, going to keep all this in mind moving forward. I suspect it won’t take a ton of contouring to at least get air moving through there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom