Diwhy sliders - 2x6 slider build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figure I would start a thread on my diwhy 2x6 slider build.

So materials I am using are:
1/8th wall 2x6” 72” long tubes
1/8th wall 1.5” square tube (had around)
Metal tech slider u- bolts
Custom laser cut frame brackets and gussets.

I am potentially going to sell the brackets/gussets so you to can make your own sliders at home.

98A8D6E7-0855-470C-B94C-F6E7705ECAD0.jpeg
DF465CC3-FA63-4530-A786-91E51161273D.jpeg
66D03B7D-1C5A-466D-A63C-D6B2CCC3E30C.jpeg
9D560F4A-BDBF-445E-9FD4-66F02FD12B60.jpeg

Each slider could be used as air tank if welds are tight.

With gussets at the frame side, does this area get the stress transfer? Is this is a butt weld? The 6” surface can create a stronger bending moment than something thinner. If it bends at the circled area, you could still have rocker damage. Slotting the 6” to recess to get the support go through the 6” length will give you a stronger joint than a butt weld.

23CE61E1-B0D2-44AB-83B7-FCD183233FFF.jpeg

With gussets at the frame side, does this area get the stress transfer? Is this is a butt weld? The 6” surface can create a stronger bending moment than something thinner. If it bends at the circled area, you could still have rocker damage. Slotting the 6” to recess to get the support go through the 6” length will give you a stronger joint than a butt weld.

I am going out on a limb and saying the majority of all sliders made for all offroad vehicles are welded like that when attaching the legs to the main tubes or main tube assemblies. Prove me wrong, but Slee/Metal Tech/Bump it/Trail Gear/CBI/Coastal/etc/etc all use butt welded legs to main tube sections.

Looks good! What thickness tubing did you use? Looks like 1/8" for the 2x6 and maybe the same or thinner for the 1.5 square?
1/8th wall for the tubing.

Cool nerf bars. Here I thought all you had to do to appease the 100 series gods was have sliders be bolt-on

I am going out on a limb and saying the majority of all sliders made for all offroad vehicles are welded like that when attaching the legs to the main tubes or main tube assemblies. Prove me wrong, but Slee/Metal Tech/Bump it/Trail Gear/CBI/Coastal/etc/etc all use butt welded legs to main tube sections.

I will not try to prove a point. Sorry if this came across as other than an observation. Seems you have this covered.

This is true, but you need much thicker material. I make similar sliders using 1/4" wall 2x2 and 3/16" wall 2x6. The but weld is gapped nicely to get as much penetration as possible. With that thickness it's just enough to work as a slider with the deflection that's impossible to eliminate. With 1/8", you'll likely destroy the pinch weld and possible the rocker if you try and use them as real sliders. I they're just for nice steps, disregard as they should hold up fine for that.

This is true, but you need much thicker material. I make similar sliders using 1/4" wall 2x2 and 3/16" wall 2x6. The but weld is gapped nicely to get as much penetration as possible. With that thickness it's just enough to work as a slider with the deflection that's impossible to eliminate. With 1/8", you'll likely destroy the pinch weld and possible the rocker if you try and use them as real sliders. I they're just for nice steps, disregard as they should hold up fine for that.

Yeah essentially their main purpose is a step that won't get crunched on the easy trails i do for camping / work. I know they aren't meant for true rock crawling, but i m not really doing that here.

i did put the weight of the truck on the sliders and the do bend up to the pinch weld, but that force will be great with a true slam hit on the sliders.

I like it. I was thinking about making something like that. I am not likely to do significant off roading needing super strong sliders, want some kind of step, and don’t love the stock running boards.

What did it cost you to build them?

I like it. I was thinking about making something like that. I am not likely to do significant off roading needing super strong sliders, want some kind of step, and don’t love the stock running boards.

What did it cost you to build them?
Roughly $300-350 for material/consumables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom