Distributor Upgrade Recommendations - Federal Spec '76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been doing some more reading here on MUD re: distributor options for my Federal spec '76 FJ40 with stock distributor and carburetor. I'm currently running it as-is, but with the vacuum retard port on the distributor plugged. Here's what I currently have parts-wise:

- Spare 2F distributor from an FJ60 ('84 IIRC, mileage unknown), along with the dented side cover and new Toyota gasket. This is a kit I put together about 15 years ago but never installed.

- Spare 2f distributor from an '86 FJ60 (~127,000 miles).

A number of years ago I replaced the distributor in my '71 FJ40 (with 11/75 - 2/76 2F) with a new non-USA vacuum advance distributor with octane selector (don't have the Toyota part number handy because the vehicle's at my place in Nevada). So doing the same set-up on my '76 FJ40 is an option.

I was also considering a new 2F 3F vacuum advance distributor from City Racer.

So here are my options (I know I have to modify my stock carburetor to add an advance port in the proper location for any of these options):

1. FJ60 large cap electronic vacuum advance distributor, knowing that I would still have at least one good spare distributor.

2. Another small cap non-USA vacuum advance points distributor like that on my '71 FJ40, with the option of adding a Pertronix kit.

3. A new 2F 3F vacuum advance points distributor from City Racer (is there any reason to install a Pertronix kit if one is available?).

Cost is not a factor in my decision.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

I like the failsafe option of the Small-cap/Pertronix option. I have had two failures (each in a different vehicle) in the 20years I have been selling them. In both instances I simply took the points out of the glovebox and reinstalled them.

Changing a module would be another option if you bothered to carry one.

60 modules are still out there, but starting to get scarce.

Thanks for the feedback. If I went that route both of my FJ40s would have the same set-up. I like the fact that I could carry a set of points in the glove compartment, especially for those long trips into the hinterlands of the desert southwest. BTW, what is the proper set of points for the small cap distributor with octane selector? After a lot of searching I came up with Part Number 04191-40010.

Also, I believe the correct Pertronix is Part Number 91665A Ignitor II, correct?

If you buy a new dizzy, the points you pull out will probably be the only spares you'll ever need.

I like the failsafe option of the Small-cap/Pertronix option. I have had two failures (each in a different vehicle) in the 20years I have been selling them. In both instances I simply took the points out of the glovebox and reinstalled them.

Changing a module would be another option if you bothered to carry one.

60 modules are still out there, but starting to get scarce.

Is my understanding correct in that you can only use points with the Pertronix unit if you stick with the stock coil?

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom