Disk Conversion (Right Side Done) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ArmyFJ

Lookin’ for mud in all the wrong places.
GOLD Star
Threads
Wow. What a project...but fun. I have the right side done finally and I am wondering what people did about the brake junction (pic) when using a dust plate eliminator. I was thinking about remaking a line and mounting the junction to the top of the arm under the nut. Thoughts?

Matthew
Brake Bracket.jpg

I wouldn't use a knuckle nut to mount the brake junction. I've seen some folks just use a longer flex hose from the hard line at the axle housing directly to the caliper.

The junction attaches to the backing plate...which you don't have so just do like Miker says. The short one worked for me.

http://www.ih8mud.com/techtrivia.php

"front axle outer hoses (skips backing plate) - NAPA 38881 (longer) or 38878 (shorter) "

Last edited:
Looks good thanks for the info.

Matthew

I'm curious if someone could tell me more about the part that I circled in the pic. I put a disc brake conversion on the front and have begun rerouting my brake lines but I can't figure out what to do for going from the left side to the right. I saw on a '74 that there was the junction that I circled and I think that is what I want. I have a '70 though which routes around the front of the radiator so that part isn't on my axle housing.

Edit: inserting a picasa image doesn't seem to work, guess you'll have to click the link to see the pic....
FJ40 brake junction

On the newer models (I think 72+) the lines run across the axel (just like the rear does)

On the older models (Single circuit maybe) it runs across the front for the frame with a hose from the frame to the wheel cyl.

When I changed my 70 over to a dual circuit master, I ran the front lines in the same manner as they came from the factory, across the front of the frame with a hose down to each caliper. In the past, I have had the lines on the axel crushed by dumb tow truck drivers hooking up to the axel and crushing the lines...

Shawn

I'm curious if someone could tell me more about the part that I circled in the pic. I put a disc brake conversion on the front and have begun rerouting my brake lines but I can't figure out what to do for going from the left side to the right. I saw on a '74 that there was the junction that I circled and I think that is what I want. I have a '70 though which routes around the front of the radiator so that part isn't on my axle housing.

Edit: inserting a picasa image doesn't seem to work, guess you'll have to click the link to see the pic....
FJ40 brake junction

Swing by Napa with your pic and they will hook you up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom