Disc conversion reassembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried search through all the threads. Having a hard time getting the drivers side drive axle shaft/birfield all the way in. I did some grinding and got the passenger side in but don’t want to grind too much. I can’t tell if it is stuck here because of the birfield or the diff. Any help?

3C4EF8E5-6977-4B76-AC9B-7CE65C3E6DED.jpeg

4745AF06-CABE-4D14-9A05-CCA17D7BCC27.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you! The birfield was tight there in that picture so I don't think it was putting any stress on the seal

Follow on question:
Ok...so grind more on the bottom...because that last little bit should slide in smoothly for the axle shaft?

Last edited:
Also try having someone rotate the other wheel slowly while you push in on the birf.

So. Ground a little more...wiggled the other side. Still nothing. Worried about grinding too much. I can’t tell if the birfield is gettin hung up or what is wrong. Uploading a video to show.

Rotate the drive shaft on the front axle back and forth as you push the birf in.

Still no luck. Birfield joint doesn't really go in any further than that video. I suppose they are still getting hung up on the knuckle, but the top has room. The bottom, it looks ok, but I'm hesitant to grind any more. From that distance, should the axle shaft go in relatively easy or does it have to be precise? The other side did go in pretty easy after I grinded the knuckle a bit...but definitely not as much.

The knuckle balls are not precision formed, but forged and then machined. The area we grind for the bigger birf is inconsistent in thickness so you shouldn’t expect the two sides to be the same.

When there is enough clearance you can push down and in on the birf, and as long as you have the axle splines lined up or have a helper like @rkymtnflyfisher said, it will go. If it’s fighting you, you may still need to grind a bit more. It took me quite a few tries the times I’ve done it, taking a little at a time until It finally went in.

If you have some blue dye, crayon or paint pen (improvise) put some on the area where you’re grinding so can see it get transferred to the flat on the birf and see where the birf rubbed it off the ground area. From the video it looks like the lower lip still needs thinning.

Sounds good. I'll keep working it and let you know how it goes. Thank you.

Yeah...when you mentioned the crayon/paint it was a great idea. I didn't know if it was getting hung up on the knuckle or the axle shaft. Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom