Disabling the AHC and AVS systems, no warning lights. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh I'm aware AHC does some of the job of the sway bar, but I haven't seen it quantified anywhere when compared to a standard bar. My point about the diesel bar was just that it could probably be thrown in to enhance the current setup, or if they end up ditching AHC and trying out Kings or something the diesel bar might make up for some of the lost sway control that the AHC provides, because retrofitting KDSS is nearly impossible.

Yeah, just for the benefit of others as it's easy to assume at face value that the LC has a big bar/KDSS, and assume it has more roll resistance, when there are different architectures at play.

Without getting into a who's roll bar is bigger debate, it's not really an apples to apples comparison of size because the AHCs roll resistance and cross linking capability acts directly on the shocks hydraulically. It doesn't need an oversized torsion bar to translate those forces between the wheels.

@HGB, as you're trying to get more sportiness out of the LX, you might try adjusting the AHC height sensors to lower your car. Could lower about .5 - 1" which would do a few things. You'd be pioneering here as no-one really has done this, or at least given feedback here.
- adds pre-load to the coil springs. This may or may not actually make the overall suspension system stiffer as the globes will be relatively more relaxed. Same would be true if you could actually locate stiffer coils to retrofit.
- lowers center of gravity

If you could source the diesel variant sway bar, that may be worth a try. I'm not sure too much will be gained as I find AHC to do a solid job managing roll. I think it's a feel thing rather than the body rolling over much. Perhaps focus on the rear sway in particular as that will make the front end more responsive to turn-in. Short of finding a stiffer compatible bar, you could try to shim or eliminate the bushings on the rear sway end link at the chassis brackets to engage the rear sway more positively.

You could also try to source the LX 21" factory wheels to reduce compliance. Or go with sportier tire models that have stiffer sidewalls.

Interesting thought re: lowering the vehicle. Could this be done via tech stream without physically adjusting the sensors? That may be a good place to start. This wouldn’t lead me to riding on or near the bump stops however, would it?

Interesting thought re: lowering the vehicle. Could this be done via tech stream without physically adjusting the sensors? That may be a good place to start. This wouldn’t lead me to riding on or near the bump stops however, would it?
I believe you should be able to via techstream, but will depend on where the physical sensors are centered/offset within the range.

Good question on bump stops. I don't think so with a mild drop, as it seems the LX has travel for miles, but it may also depend on how you like to drive.

Interestingly from this thread, there's data to tell us how much compression travel there is and how much you will give up by lowering. The stock setup at normal ride heights is biased for huge droop travel and relatively less compression travel.

Front - 3.5" compression, 5.5" droop
Rear - 4" compression, 6" droop

With a 1" drop for example, that changes to
Front - 2.5", 6.5"
Rear - 3", 7"

Will this modification work on all LX570? I am debating on buying my wife a low mileage one so I can have when she gets done with it. I was holding off because I thought you could not modify until now.

Will this modification work on all LX570? I am debating on buying my wife a low mileage one so I can have when she gets done with it. I was holding off because I thought you could not modify until now.
yes.

I think you're asking if the LX comes with KDSS? No, it does not come with KDSS, It has regular front and rear sway bars.

So I am seriously considering going in the direction of just deleting the whole AHC.

I know the pros of AHC, but my 2008 LX 570 is 165,000mi old and I am not sure anything has been replaced including struts.

I flushed the AHC and was working fine, but it seems to want to sag the front on its own for no reason when parked, and the drive is not that great. Horrible lean except in sport.

I used to have a 2013 back in the day and I don't recall it being this bad.

The issue is I am not sure which part needs to be replaced to get it working right, but it also seems that every component is extremely expensive and laborious to change.

My only issue is the body roll I will experience after.

I know the LX does not have KDSS and the anti sway bars are lighter duty. To be honest all of my components are probably old and stressed out from springs to roll bars, so not sure I will lose that much, Turbo8 has been saying he lost nothing.

I was thinking of going Icon all around because I like the lift adjustability. Would run it around 2in and then possibly go higher if doing something more extreme. I know I don't just flick a switch, but at least there is a possibility of adjustability in probably under 1 hour.

With the sway bar has anyone ever engineered a quick disconnect sway bar. This is available in the market for other vehicles and could be the last hurdle for LX owners.

Although I don't want to sell, I am betting that a LX with an aftermarket suspension done right would fetch more than a old LX with renewed AHC. I believe this is one(not only) reason why LX go for less, when they should cost more.

Looking forward to hearing the counter arguments and if anyone has other opinions on Icon, King, OME, or something else.

lthough I don't want to sell, I am betting that a LX with an aftermarket suspension done right would fetch more than a old LX with renewed AHC. I believe this is one(not only) reason why LX go for less, when they should cost more.

Maybe to an enthusiast. To a casual buyer you have 3 buttons inside that no longer function (height, dampening, and comfort access).

I believe that @cruiseroutfit posted earlier in this thread that he can source a non-KDSS TLC sway bar.

I'd agree the average buyer who specially wants an LX570 is going to pay less for a vehicle where AHC has been removed, is disabled or is non-functional.

I have some different assumptions: I think they sell for less because there are a ton more sold and they aren’t badged “Land Cruiser”. Supply and demand, branding, plus leveraging the aspirations of potential buyers. To twist an old 911 print ad around: no kid ever dreamed of someday driving a Lexus.

I think going to a non-AHC suspension will impact your value to most mainstream buyers, and will limit your addressable market. I don’t think you’d ever see your money back out of it in a sale.

But it would probably be fun to drive while you own it!

It is a lot of work, but worth it for me.

AFS doesn't work as well.

I've been wondering what I can turn those non-functioning switches into.

It is a lot of work, but worth it for me.

AFS doesn't work as well.

I've been wondering what I can turn those non-functioning switches into.
Front and rear Lockers!!

Guys this is a 2008 Lexus with 170,000 miles, I am sure their are some mainstream buyers, but these in many cases are being bought by enthusiasts and for export to 3rd world countries. I do agree a 2016 would be more of an issue. And with all the customization don't on this sight I am not sure mainstream buyers will even pay for the customized part. Mainstream buyers are not looking for a winch, and a bumper and compressor, dual battery, etc.

And at one point the AHC stuff will get harder to find and go up in price and mainstream buyers are out because the collar costs more than the dog.

Remember you only need one buyer... two you get a nice bidding war, and I believe that a full built LX with everything done and removed AHC will fetch more.

Also remember that the market for these cars is deflationary. Every year more get rusted out, totaled, and exported.

And probably won't sell! anyways!!!!

I got mine for $22K a couple months ago. I think I will eventually be putting in about $10K into it. I have a ton of parts waiting to go on, but I am taking my time. Just dropped off my Rhino Bumper to get powder coated after doing a big cutting session this weekend.

Turbo8, when you say AFS does not work as well you mean the light move less or not at all? Is AFS linked to the AHC module?

So I am seriously considering going in the direction of just deleting the whole AHC.

I know the pros of AHC, but my 2008 LX 570 is 165,000mi old and I am not sure anything has been replaced including struts.

I flushed the AHC and was working fine, but it seems to want to sag the front on its own for no reason when parked, and the drive is not that great. Horrible lean except in sport.

I used to have a 2013 back in the day and I don't recall it being this bad.

The issue is I am not sure which part needs to be replaced to get it working right, but it also seems that every component is extremely expensive and laborious to change.

My only issue is the body roll I will experience after.

I know the LX does not have KDSS and the anti sway bars are lighter duty. To be honest all of my components are probably old and stressed out from springs to roll bars, so not sure I will lose that much, Turbo8 has been saying he lost nothing.

I was thinking of going Icon all around because I like the lift adjustability. Would run it around 2in and then possibly go higher if doing something more extreme. I know I don't just flick a switch, but at least there is a possibility of adjustability in probably under 1 hour.

With the sway bar has anyone ever engineered a quick disconnect sway bar. This is available in the market for other vehicles and could be the last hurdle for LX owners.

Although I don't want to sell, I am betting that a LX with an aftermarket suspension done right would fetch more than a old LX with renewed AHC. I believe this is one(not only) reason why LX go for less, when they should cost more.

Looking forward to hearing the counter arguments and if anyone has other opinions on Icon, King, OME, or something else.

Outside the mod/equity discussion, I'll comment on a few other items

For your front end sagging in park, sounds like the system is leaking down somehow and obviously not normal. Check the struts to see if there's any external leak? Seems to me like an internal leak at the central height control valve. 165k is not really much to these AHC suspensions if they're maintained and in good working order.
1621273701931.png

If you keep the AHC sways after a spring swap, they should still be tender enough to allow full flex (so don't need a decoupling system) depending on the static spring rates you choose. That'll also decide how much cornering roll resistance you'll have in the end. Note that you'll give up some manner of brake dive and acceleration dive, as the AHC systems has active compensations for this, again depending on the aftermarket static spring rates.

Outside the mod/equity discussion, I'll comment on a few other items

For your front end sagging in park, sounds like the system is leaking down somehow and obviously not normal. Check the struts to see if there's any external leak? Seems to me like an internal leak at the central height control valve. 165k is not really much to these AHC suspensions if they're maintained and in good working order.
View attachment 2676753

If you keep the AHC sways after a spring swap, they should still be tender enough to allow full flex (so don't need a decoupling system) depending on the static spring rates you choose. That'll also decide how much cornering roll resistance you'll have in the end. Note that you'll give up some manner of brake dive and acceleration dive, as the AHC systems has active compensations for this, again depending on the aftermarket static spring rates.
Thank you so much for the feedback! The diagram is great.

Quick questions do you think there is a link between this and the front not wanting to stay in H in the display(still moved front up but not all the way).
Second, where is the height controller located? On the chassis near rear left tire?

Again thank you for the detail and diagram

Front and rear Lockers!!
Well, I am in the process of installing those :)
My issue with the AHC switches is how easy they are to bump out of position. The H4/L4 switch at least requires you to push down before moving the switch, but the others don't. Would suck to have a locker engage/disengage when you weren't expecting it...so my lockers are going to an aftermarket switch panel and the AHC switches are just a reminder of the past.

My issue with the AHC switches is how easy they are to bump out of position. The H4/L4 switch at least requires you to push down before moving the switch, but the others don't. Would suck to have a locker engage/disengage when you weren't expecting it...so my lockers are going to an aftermarket switch panel and the AHC switches are just a reminder of the past.
Agreed, I'm using the 80 series switch for the lockers. The height and dampening switches could be used for something else, like aux lights, compressor, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom