Difference in 4speed and 3speed shifter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
Wanted to know what the difference between part numbers 3,4,and5 between a 4speed transmission shifter and a 3speed one. I hade my 4speed shifter power coated a year ago and don’t know where I placed the parts. I found part numbers 3 and 5 in my dads shop and took part number 4 off a 3speed. I tried to install the shifter yesterday with no luck. I had my dad try today thinking I was doing something wrong with no luck. He said it was going down far enough to turn it to stay in place. I believe all the parts listed or from a 3speed. Any help would be great. Thanks
8C678E2C-037D-4FDF-A497-05A18A840F35.jpeg

I’ve heard that that the number three part turn clockwise on one and counter clockwise on the other. I don’t know if it’s true I just thought I’d throw it out there.

I’ve heard that that the number three part turn clockwise on one and counter clockwise on the other. I don’t know if it’s true I just thought I’d throw it out there.
Thanks! I haven’t heard that one before. I called SOR today and the lady I spoke to said the spring is shorter on a 4speed but not sure if it’s true are not. Hopefully some others can chime in.
Thanks again,
Cimarron

I just looked at the springs I have from a three and a four speed. The three speed is a little longer. I have four speeds that turn both directions. I have been playing around will different shifter and besides being a pain in general to press and twist to remove makes it even harder not knowing which way to turn. Other that the spring think all the will work. The style changed in the eighties when the two piece shifter started on the 60 series. It no longer had piece #4 and #3 was no longer domed shaped.

Only available loose three speed shifter I have is one that was cut off. Almost all my four and five speed shifters are at another location. May be a week or longer until I am around them.
IMG_20180828_164531462.jpg

I just looked at the springs I have from a three and a four speed. The three speed is a little longer. I have four speeds that turn both directions. I have been playing around will different shifter and besides being a pain in general to press and twist to remove makes it even harder not knowing which way to turn. Other that the spring think all the will work. The style changed in the eighties when the two piece shifter started on the 60 series. It no longer had piece #4 and #3 was no longer domed shaped.

Only available loose three speed shifter I have is one that was cut off. Almost all my four and five speed shifters are at another location. May be a week or longer until I am around them.
View attachment 2480591
Thanks for the reply! I have mine somewhere but can’t recall where it’s at. I have a picture of it back in September of last year.

Here is a picture without part number 4. I wanted to see how far the spring went down. Looks like it might be from a 3speed. It didn’t go down much when I replied pressure.
3D787951-C71F-4793-8855-5428AC0A5F15.jpeg

Living in the Past, for your cut off shift lever, would you sell it, and if so does it include items 3, 4, and 5 in the drawing above, and if so how much $$$.

I have four speeds that turn both directions. I have been playing around will different shifter and besides being a pain in general to press and twist to remove makes it even harder not knowing which way to turn.

those other ones must be from Oz, as you know everything spins opposite below the equator.

Does anyone have the spring measurements please for a 3speed and 4speed?

I measured the two loose springs I have here. The three speed is 1 1/8" while the four speed is 1". I did notice they both have the exactly the same number of coils. Possible they were made different or the four speed been compressed longer. The three speed I bought many years ago from wrecking yard. Was a three speed, transfer case and PTO off a 73. Mainly wanted the PTO. Transmission was rusted inside. Typical of a wrecking yard cut the transmission cane rather remove it.

Living in the Past, for your cut off shift lever, would you sell it, and if so does it include items 3, 4, and 5 in the drawing above, and if so how much $$$.

At this point think I'll hang on to it. Does have 3, 4, 5 as well as the top cover. Have a three speed missing the shift cane. Because of the longer length of the three shift cane cut off one is better than nothing.

those other ones must be from Oz, as you know everything spins opposite below the equator.

That is a interesting theory. Wonder if a go fund me I make a trip to research this.

I have a couple 3speed shifters. One has all the item numbers above. Let me know if your interested. Thanks

I measured the two loose springs I have here. The three speed is 1 1/8" while the four speed is 1". I did notice they both have the exactly the same number of coils. Possible they were made different or the four speed been compressed longer. The three speed I bought many years ago from wrecking yard. Was a three speed, transfer case and PTO off a 73. Mainly wanted the PTO. Transmission was rusted inside. Typical of a wrecking yard cut the transmission cane rather remove it.

At this point think I'll hang on to it. Does have 3, 4, 5 as well as the top cover. Have a three speed missing the shift cane. Because of the longer length of the three shift cane cut off one is better than nothing.

That is a interesting theory. Wonder if a go fund me I make a trip to research this.
Thanks for the measurements! I was able to compare the spring that I had with two other springs. The 3speed was taller as mentioned. The spring I was originally was using was a 4speed. My dad and I was having a hard time getting it pressed down far enough to turn the cap to hold it in place.
We finally was able to make it happen. We end up pressing it down by having a closed in wrench and some vise grip above wrench to lock it down. After that we dropped in the shifter into the transmission and tapped the cap with a hammer and screwdriver until it turned as far as it could go.
I want thanks everyone that took the time to help me out with this.

Thanks,
Cimarron

Didnt know you were looking Jim. Plenty local. :)

I have a couple 3speed shifters. One has all the item numbers above. Let me know if your interested. Thanks
Yep, I was looking for your lever that was cut off, I have a custom lever I can weld on, just looking for a bargain basement deal, but has to include items 3, 4, and 5 on the drawing above, lemme know.

Yep, I was looking for your lever that was cut off, I have a custom lever I can weld on, just looking for a bargain basement deal, but has to include items 3, 4, and 5 on the drawing above, lemme know.
That was someone else that had the broken one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom