Difference between 93 and 94 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am in the market for an 80 series and looking for 93 or 94.
Could soome one tell me the difference between the 93 and 94.

Thanks,
Alex
85 BJ70
89 FJ62

Well, the 93 were mostly made in 1993 and the 94 were mostly made in 1994.
I hope this helps.

94's use R134a refrigerant instead of R12....lot's cheaper.

Pretty much the same rig.

Toyota switched the 80 series to R134 in May of 1993.

The differences between 93 and 94 are slight. The rear mud flap lettering went from white to unpainted and the second row outer shoulder belts went from ELR to ALR locking mechanisims.

That's about it.

D-

Is it the R134 that is the difference?
Is the rest of the A/C system the same?
If you took it in to dealer, what would they change to up grade it to R134?

The exhaust manifold on the 94 has secondary air injection plumbed into it, I'm not 100% sure if 93 was the same but it's hard to find upgrades for a 94. The superchager and turbochargers offered skip over 94, but are offered for 93. I heard you can get an adapter plate for the S/C now. You can't convert r12 to r134 with out replacing most of the system. However R12 is not legal to sell, in my area anyway, so my shop converts R12 to FREEZONE, a r12/r134 compatible refidgerant that is also a lot cheaper then R12. R12 is about $80 a poud, Freezone/R134 are both around $20 a pound!!

93-94 engine management and emissions plumbing is identical with the exceptipn of federal 93's that do not have an EGR temp sensor. Both years use a PAIR air injection.

technically quite a few 93's were built in 92 and quite a few 94's were built in 93 ;)

the old r12 a/c blows colder.

Weren't there some 93's sold with rear drum brakes, which meant no full floater rear axle and no abs?

the only other comment is that you have to buy the 94 FSM for a 93 if you get one with lockers.

Rear drums and no ABS is possible for both 93 and 94.

The FFA and discs did not become standard til 95.

Alex first of all good luck - get a clean one with lockers and discs and you'll be happy. I almost bot a 94 just so - pretty clean good price but it needed a knuckle job and the motor seemed a bit tired - could have been lack of tune but it had done a lot of towing in hot areas (it had a welded on trailer hitch and electric trailer brake setup) Any way I ended up spending the extra bucks for a clean 97 with pretty low miles - it still needed a little work though. Again good luck and be patient - lurk for a while and soak up the knowledge here. I don't know where you live but there is a clean green 94 with lockers near me on the CA central coast - it is listed in the "Trade Express" I don't know the mileage but it has service records and new brakes and pretty much all the options - leather etc. 11900. Also a 97 with 47k miles but the guy wants too much - it has been listed for a month so maybe he would take less?

krich97,

Thanks for the reply. I did own a 94 for almost 5 years and sold it 2 1/2 years ago to finish frame off resto of an 85 BJ70.
I missed it a lot. I thought that 93 and 94 basicaly the same, but found out some interesting info on this board. I am in KY, but I have a very good friend in Los Angeles. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
BTW, did you attent a Surf and Turf at Pismo this yea, it was fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Alex

My 93 came stock with R134. I know others did not. I think when they made the change to R134 they also changed the size and location of the condensor. That makes sense, since an R134 typically needs a better condensor than R12 did.

I know that at least one person switched a 93FJZ80 from R12 80 to R134, and said it did not cool well after the switch. My 93 that came stock with R134 cools fine, and I am in Arizona.

So if I was buying a 93 or 94, I would at least hold out for a late 93 that came with R134. Unless you are in canda or something.

Jared

I did the R134 in a can to fix my Previs R12 system. It cooled fine. Just add the oil and R134 and its cool time.
Wait, I didn't do that, I live in WI and it is illegal to buy,sell,use the R134 kit unless you have a state license.
Wi is the only state that does this.

[quote author=sjpitts link=board=2;threadid=9005;start=msg78842#msg78842 date=1072062235]
I know that at least one person switched a 93FJZ80 from R12 80 to R134, and said it did not cool well after the switch. My 93 that came stock with R134 cools fine, and I am in Arizona.

[/quote]

Im in Az too. Previous owner of my 93 did the r12 to r134 conversion. Seems to cool just fine....... used it yesterday and today. Hopefully it will make some bit of difference come July.

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=9005;start=msg78870#msg78870 date=1072065181]
Im in Az too. Previous owner of my 93 did the r12 to r134 conversion. Seems to cool just fine....... used it yesterday and today. Hopefully it will make some bit of difference come July.
[/quote]

It still might work for you, although december is probably not a real good time for an effective AC stress test. :)

And if I recall, your new 80 was sort of dark in color, and did not have tinted windows.

If come summer time it seems like it doesn't cool as well as you need, maybe you should consider swapping out condensors for a post R134 model. Another possible alternative would be to a second consensor in series with the current condensor.

I don't really now much about AC units-- but I do know that Vintage Air claims that most of the problems that come from R134 units is a result of not enough condensor. That makes some sense, given that toyota felt the need to switch to a different condensor when they switched to R134.

Jared

FWIW I converted my 1991 to R134 for about $160. Nice and chilly still!

[quote author=sjpitts link=board=2;threadid=9005;start=msg78918#msg78918 date=1072069616]
It still might work for you, although december is probably not a real good time for an effective AC stress test. :)

And if I recall, your new 80 was sort of dark in color, and did not have tinted windows.

If come summer time it seems like it doesn't cool as well as you need, maybe you should consider swapping out condensors for a post R134 model. Another possible alternative would be to a second consensor in series with the current condensor.

I don't really now much about AC units-- but I do know that Vintage Air claims that most of the problems that come from R134 units is a result of not enough condensor. That makes some sense, given that toyota felt the need to switch to a different condensor when they switched to R134.

Jared

[/quote]

Jared,

Thanks for the condensor info. I'm worried about the dark color of the rig. I've always owned white vehicles in the past. Im not sure what I was thinking when I purchased this one. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom