Builds DieselFJ… BUILD - Cummins ISB170, Eaton 5spd, Tons, SAC, 40’s, Caged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

have you considered fueling options and more air flow/boost to the 4bt?? slight power bump and tune may get you what you seek?? if not yeah - 6BT in an 80 would want a new HD frame rails
I’ve got the IP turned up a tad , new fuel pin, gov spring , slightly larger injector nozzles, about to do a super HX30W, currently aftercooled with the factory JWAC system…

I’ve got the IP turned up a tad , new fuel pin, gov spring , slightly larger injector nozzles, about to do a super HX30W, currently aftercooled with the factory JWAC system…
Nice... likely that HX30W will help and maybe a FMIC or something post-turbo cooling improvement may yield more power ... was the desire for the 6BT power related or mainly vibrational or both ??

Nice... likely that HX30W will help and maybe a FMIC or something post-turbo cooling improvement may yield more power ... was the desire for the 6BT power related or mainly vibrational or both ??
I would like to have the 6BT because stock they would have sufficient power and lower EGTs, but like you said the 6BT is a lot of weight for the 80.

I would like to have the 6BT because stock they would have sufficient power and lower EGTs, but like you said the 6BT is a lot of weight for the 80.
I have sketched up on my CAD a few 80-series 6BT ideas but kinda got to same point ... would be full 4x2/3/16 wall square tube Frame re-do LOL.... and then just fell back to 4bt, isb170 or even R2.8... but then may be under powered for your tastes... the Common Rail is def smoother and makes excellent "civil" power with zero smoke....

I have sketched up on my CAD a few 80-series 6BT ideas but kinda got to same point ... would be full 4x2/3/16 wall square tube Frame re-do LOL.... and then just fell back to 4bt, isb170 or even R2.8... but then may be under powered for your tastes... the Common Rail is def smoother and makes excellent "civil" power with zero smoke....
2.8 would be a cool swap , I’m happy with the 4BT once I can get everything dialed in, I mean after all there capable of 400 HP plus

2.8 would be a cool swap , I’m happy with the 4BT once I can get everything dialed in, I mean after all there capable of 400 HP plus
Plus it can be as bulletproof and reliable as almost any engine ever made... Swiss watch level ... plus the biggest thing going for it: "it's already in the truck" !! - keep in touch.

This is a cool build, just seeing it now. Really dig the combo/asthetics etc. Also the roll cage has me thinking... Would like to do something like that but not have to wear a helmet, and have it protect the middle bench in the 80.

This is a cool build, just seeing it now. Really dig the combo/asthetics etc. Also the roll cage has me thinking... Would like to do something like that but not have to wear a helmet, and have it protect the middle bench in the 80.
Thx man... yeah, the 4-point harness really locks the front passengers down but I was thinking either roll-cage padding on the B-Pillar area near head rest... that's the major "close point" for knocking heads around... or just helmets when getting serious/off-road

Thx man... yeah, the 4-point harness really locks the front passengers down but I was thinking either roll-cage padding on the B-Pillar area near head rest... that's the major "close point" for knocking heads around... or just helmets when getting serious/off-road

Hmm,

A friend told me a story about someone with a roll cage, who got in a fender bender driving to work and bounced his head off the roll bar. Almost was a permanent visitor to the puzzle factory for that and he would have been better off without it. Probably lots of us on here have heard similar stories. I suppose foam would be adequate though too.

I drive my 80 to work around 1/3rd or 1/4 of the time and my kids are 11 & 7 so a full cage and 4 or 5 points is too cumbersome, and i don't take it wheeling often enough or on terrain that really suggests its necessary, but I forsee the taller and heavier 80 having more risk for roof collapse in a rollover.

Anyway, your rig looks like its ready for KOTH, its quite built, looking forward to some videos with the "clackity clack" of the cummins donk and big maxiis rubber ideling over terrain!

Hmm,

A friend told me a story about someone with a roll cage, who got in a fender bender driving to work and bounced his head off the roll bar. Almost was a permanent visitor to the puzzle factory for that and he would have been better off without it. Probably lots of us on here have heard similar stories. I suppose foam would be adequate though too.

I drive my 80 to work around 1/3rd or 1/4 of the time and my kids are 11 & 7 so a full cage and 4 or 5 points is too cumbersome, and i don't take it wheeling often enough or on terrain that really suggests its necessary, but I forsee the taller and heavier 80 having more risk for roof collapse in a rollover.

Anyway, your rig looks like its ready for KOTH, its quite built, looking forward to some videos with the "clackity clack" of the cummins donk and big maxiis rubber ideling over terrain!
Me too!!!... soon (I hope)... but yeah some further trial tests soon. Yeah the cage impact risk is absolutely real and needs managed at all times.

My design took that into account and currently only potential spot is the B-Pillar head rest height - lateral strike risk (swinging of body/head laterally and slightly back)... but you said it well. It's a real risk. drop a melon from the second story and pretty much replicate an unprotected head hitting a roll cage tube...

I used the over-built center caged supported similar to a JohnDeere tractor type roll bar - But tied off in several different frame spots.

coyote headlocks and cage work…

View attachment 3264979
Your roll bar looks almost completely out of harms way. I'm not sure where the high risk areas would be actually. The only criticism I might bring up is the diagonal brace being cumbersome to get in/out, but pros and cons to everything. With your 4 point harness Im not sure the head strike in that position is even possible. But foam on that section is fairly easy to achieve.

thx man - yeah ... the diagonal brace I could have gone a bit more rearward and reduce it's impact/profil but I never plan to run doors and wanted a bit extra boulder or stump "stoppers" lol :)

Looks great! I'm figuring it's a lower speed rig so the isb170 works pretty good? I've done swaps with them and driven them some miles and they seem a bit underpowered for a fullsize vehicle driving freeway speeds. They have that delivery truck power. All mid range. Not much support for increasing performance when I was looking.

6BT fits very well in the 80 series. I've been around several and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the frame even after 50k+ miles.

Did you happen to weigh your ISB170/Eaton setup? I would figure your ISB170 and Eaton transmission weigh pretty close to what a 12 valve and NV4500 would. Probably within 100 lbs. The isb170 is about 100 lbs heavier than a 4BT. 12 valve is only 200 lbs more than a 4BT. 2 less pistons doesn't shave much weight. Still has all the rest of the parts. There's a lot more weight in the 4V cylinder head design, more weight in the rear geartrain design as well. ISB170 is pretty heavy, around 850-900 lbs depending on what's on the engine.

Looks great! I'm figuring it's a lower speed rig so the isb170 works pretty good? I've done swaps with them and driven them some miles and they seem a bit underpowered for a fullsize vehicle driving freeway speeds. They have that delivery truck power. All mid range. Not much support for increasing performance when I was looking.

6BT fits very well in the 80 series. I've been around several and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the frame even after 50k+ miles.

Did you happen to weigh your ISB170/Eaton setup? I would figure your ISB170 and Eaton transmission weigh pretty close to what a 12 valve and NV4500 would. Probably within 100 lbs. The isb170 is about 100 lbs heavier than a 4BT. 12 valve is only 200 lbs more than a 4BT. 2 less pistons doesn't shave much weight. Still has all the rest of the parts. There's a lot more weight in the 4V cylinder head design, more weight in the rear geartrain design as well. ISB170 is pretty heavy, around 850-900 lbs depending on what's on the engine.
Definitely depends on what fueling profile the isb170 has - there’s a tuner/racer on UK (Iveco) that can do all sorts of ECM tuning - to match your planned use, fuel and air flow (turbo)

My Eng+trans was 178lbs less than a somewhat stripped Ram 3500 p-pump 12v that I sold maybe 6yrs ago.

I had them both at our warehouse shipping dock area and was able to weigh them

The DieselFJ is gearing limited to 58mph and has zero issues
For torque or acceleration with this setup

Very easy to drive actually and my 3-link/4-link turned out Mint! It’s flexy but handles well at speed / settled

The Anti-rock was the “missing link”

Even had to evasively manure around some lady in an old Accord who was “looking to brake check me and collect a check”

It’s very common here in Florida, so watch out if you’re in a nice or Custom vehicle

She pulled straight in front of me and slammed on the brakes

I responded full lock up initially on the Wilwoods and hard left to center lane!! Tires screeching and then back on brakes once swerved…. Felt like those car testing rain/BMW swerve videos….

No Honda’s were harmed in the making of this test lol

Definitely depends on what fueling profile the isb170 has - there’s a tuner/racer on UK (Iveco) that can do all sorts of ECM tuning - to match your planned use, fuel and air flow (turbo)

My Eng+trans was 178lbs less than a somewhat stripped Ram 3500 p-pump 12v that I sold maybe 6yrs ago.

Great to know about the tuning. Have you had any done or is yours stock?

Your weights are quite different from numbers I've got from our 10k shipping scale and digital crane/forklift scale.

For what it’s worth I just pulled my 12v Cummins, nv4500, and np205 and it was 1500 even with all fluids except coolant.

A621F053-A550-4A6A-8B72-53C5B53C9590.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom