Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone running one of these with their diesel swapped Cruiser ?
Seems like an easy and sleek way to monitor boost , EGT and trans temps

Anyone running one of these with their diesel swapped Cruiser ?
Seems like an easy and sleek way to monitor boost , EGT and trans temps

Definitely looks like a good piece of kit, not using it myself though. I really think most diesels, especially swaps should have EGT and boost. Trans temp wouldn't hurt either.

Definitely looks like a good piece of kit, not using it myself though. I really think most diesels, especially swaps should have EGT and boost. Trans temp wouldn't hurt either.
I think it would be an easy way to monitor everything ! Even without OBD2 anymore . Same price as isspro mechanical gauges too

I have not tried the 4BT, but Toyota designed an engine specifically for the 80 series 1HDT/1HDFT. We installed a 1HDFT/H151 3 years ago and put 60K miles on this rig doing long 9K miles expedition trips. IT IS FLAWLESS. Not a single issue. And gets 21-26 mpg. I think the total price considering that the engine bolts in without any frame mods is a wash.

But then again, this is just my humble experience. Each one has it's own. :).. Good luck to all.

--o

View attachment 2953438View attachment 2953439View attachment 2953440View attachment 2953441
Ofer,

I'm not so up to date on the transmission thing....

Does the H151 have an overdrive?

Also, how does the shifter sit in the truck compared to the original auto transmission? Did you have to alter the panel around the shifter.

Still hoping to do a transplant like you and I talked about... but this damn motor won't die! even with 360xxx miles on the original hg....

Ofer,

I'm not so up to date on the transmission thing....

Does the H151 have an overdrive?

Also, how does the shifter sit in the truck compared to the original auto transmission? Did you have to alter the panel around the shifter.

Still hoping to do a transplant like you and I talked about... but this damn motor won't die! even with 360xxx miles on the original hg....
The manual is shorter by I think around 80 mm. You have to rebuild the hump, adjust the cross member support for the rear insulator and change the length of both drive shafts. The center console for the shifters is no longer avail so you have to be creative or buy an after market. I have a photo library, that you can scroll also with all the build.

For the cross member the frame has the holes for the new location but not threaded. I chose to use the old holes for the auto and just add a stainless plate forward to support the insulator.

10% overdrive done by my guru Georg @orangefj45. All my drivetrain projects are done by him for the past 15 years.

750D12C4-2E75-4201-8727-B855FCCCFD3A.jpeg
2CC81BF9-2386-4902-B7FE-8D231382B770.jpeg
D7822F81-3651-4430-99EF-4526FB97E7D7.jpeg
63C4DF58-DCD6-4DE9-B418-D46F95BD58FC.jpeg

Does anyone have a part number for the lower radiator hose for a 4bt to a stock 80 series radiator , 2.25 to a 1.75 ID L shaped hose ? I can’t seem to find anything that fits like the old one I had , and the old ones part number is rubbed off

Has anyone here with a 4BT/4BTA swap had issues fitting an intercooler? I’m currently running the 4BTA but am having an issue with some plumbing , one of the coolant lines for the aftercooler is plumbed next to the exhaust manifold and is melting . I would like to swap to an intercooler but not sure due to space I have AC, dual batteries etc. In the way , the pictures attached are what I’m dealing with , the hose is just in a weird spot and I can’t seem to correct it , if someone has pictures of their swap would love to see , whether it’s intercooled or aftercooled ! Anything helps !

D4E94FD2-0FA5-4191-AEA4-16DA2B286988.jpeg

D3CA2E12-DF67-48CA-BDBF-12C9EF7D7DAD.png

6E54BB2F-5A01-4E77-A165-3FB3143D1538.jpeg

There is a good thread in the diesel section1hd-t intercooler or something like that. My bread van has the same after-cooler and no issues with melting hoses- not sure what the configuration is- that reminds me- I haven't started it in a couple years...

I have been considering a 6BT paired with a AB60F. Has anyone done this? My search on mud hasn't found anyone.
It seems like a great combination, with the power from the 6BT and the double overdrive on the AB60F (same transmission as the early 200 series ).
I have even found and bought a used 6BT. I'm in the process of going through the engine to get it ready and planning for the rest.

I'll take any information you have to help me work through the details.

I have been considering a 6BT paired with a AB60F. Has anyone done this? My search on mud hasn't found anyone.
It seems like a great combination, with the power from the 6BT and the double overdrive on the AB60F (same transmission as the early 200 series ).
I have even found and bought a used 6BT. I'm in the process of going through the engine to get it ready and planning for the rest.

I'll take any information you have to help me work through the details
Is there an adapter to that transmission? That’s would help the main thing. CJMOON and turbophil have both transitioned from a343’s to 6l80’s. There is an adapter for that transmission, as well as to the HF2A.

@mjosoba I figured I would make the adapter plate between the bell housing and the engine. I have a cnc mill to help with that. Im aslo under the assumption that The the transmission and transfer case from Toyota may fit better but I have more details to work through. I will definitely spend some time looking at the 6L80 though. Do you know if someone makes a stand alone controller for it?

@mjosoba I figured I would make the adapter plate between the bell housing and the engine. I have a cnc mill to help with that. Im aslo under the assumption that The the transmission and transfer case from Toyota may fit better but I have more details to work through. I will definitely spend some time looking at the 6L80 though. Do you know if someone makes a stand alone controller for it?
Yes, there’s a few, or maybe one under various brandings. Not 100% sure. Compushift says they’ll have one soon, also for the ab60 soon, but they’ve been saying that for a bit. I think the 6l80/90 will have support, being from the LS world. And there are already some solid options. FB has a good 6bt-LC page, with lots of good info. Just my two cents. But seeing as how CJMOON has done it twice, definitely check with him. I believe he’s got his own shop going.

I keep vacillating between the 6l80/90 or an NV4500 for my 4bd.

Yes, there’s a few, or maybe one under various brandings. Not 100% sure. Compushift says they’ll have one soon, also for the ab60 soon, but they’ve been saying that for a bit. I think the 6l80/90 will have support, being from the LS world. And there are already some solid options. FB has a good 6bt-LC page, with lots of good info. Just my two cents. But seeing as how CJMOON has done it twice, definitely check with him. I believe he’s got his own shop going.

I keep vacillating between the 6l80/90 or an NV4500 for my 4bd.
Nv4500 would be my preferred swap , granted I have a 4l85E so anything manual would be an upgrade to me lol

Has anyone here with a 4BT/4BTA swap had issues fitting an intercooler? I’m currently running the 4BTA but am having an issue with some plumbing , one of the coolant lines for the aftercooler is plumbed next to the exhaust manifold and is melting . I would like to swap to an intercooler but not sure due to space I have AC, dual batteries etc. In the way , the pictures attached are what I’m dealing with , the hose is just in a weird spot and I can’t seem to correct it , if someone has pictures of their swap would love to see , whether it’s intercooled or aftercooled ! Anything helps !

View attachment 3065564

View attachment 3065565

View attachment 3065572
This issue was also solved , found the aftercooler pipe , 120 dollars with only 3 left in the country apparently..

I really don’t think the vibration is as bad as people say , yes it’s a 4Bt it’s not balanced like 6Bt , but how often are you gonna be sitting at idle anyways besides stop lights. It’s not going to be anywhere as smooth as a gas engine obviously but I’ve yet to drive any old Diesel engine that isn’t somewhat loud.
I would love to do a 4Bt swap in mine .
Here’s my 60s series with a Fluidamper on my 4BT.

Here’s my 60s series with a Fluidamper on my 4BT.

that is very smooth!! I’m curious on your serpentine belt setup, my belt tensioner pulley is mounted facing upwards , it almost looks like your belt is rubbing together or that might just be what it looks like from the video angle..
I actually just got back from an 800 mile trip in my 4BT 80 with almost no issues til my brand new Napa brand alternator shaft broke and shredded the belt and destroyed the alternator . Maybe I need to redo it like yours!….

that is very smooth!! I’m curious on your serpentine belt setup, my belt tensioner pulley is mounted facing upwards , it almost looks like your belt is rubbing together or that might just be what it looks like from the video angle..
I actually just got back from an 800 mile trip in my 4BT 80 with almost no issues til my brand new Napa brand alternator shaft broke and shredded the belt and destroyed the alternator . Maybe I need to redo it like yours!….
2AA4D544-E798-4518-8E08-378884F8672E.jpeg

C24C0FB2-76B8-44EE-951C-0883BCA1FCEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright guys , resurrecting old topics yet again, if anyone is willing I would love to see some pictures as to how y’all setup and routed intercoolers for their 4Bts or 6BTs… I’m currently trying to piece together a setup and am leaning towards the one from CX racing that mounts to the ARB bumper .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom