Diesel Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm new... I am on the Marlin Crawler Board quite often. :)

I have a 1989 Toyota 4Runner and it has a slow 3.0 with a little over 200,000 miles on it. The motor is leaking oil and doesn't have the low end that I would like.
I am thinking of dropping a 3B diesel out of a Canadian 1984 BJ42 (I think). So.... I was wondering if it is possible to adapt it to a 1985 Toyota Pick-up tranny and T-case? Because I have 2 85' T-cases, 1 82' T-case and an 85' 5 speed tranny, so I want to do dual case and have a Toyota 5 speed. :eek:

Has anyone tried this before? :confused:

1Bad4Runner said:
Hi, I'm new... I am on the Marlin Crawler Board quite often. :)

I have a 1989 Toyota 4Runner and it has a slow 3.0 with a little over 200,000 miles on it. The motor is leaking oil and doesn't have the low end that I would like.
I am thinking of dropping a 3B diesel out of a Canadian 1984 BJ42 (I think). So.... I was wondering if it is possible to adapt it to a 1985 Toyota Pick-up tranny and T-case? Because I have 2 85' T-cases, 1 82' T-case and an 85' 5 speed tranny, so I want to do dual case and have a Toyota 5 speed. :eek:

Has anyone tried this before? :confused:

A 3b would be a good engine if you found a doner truck. I don't think there is any adapters to get this engine to the stock tranny.

But if you got the whole vehicle you could use the tranny/transfer case with the axles. They are offset axles. As well then you would get the solid axle for a conversion for the front.

A 3b would be an amazing powerful engine at the low end for you. It powers my BJ60 pretty good, not as fast as the gas engine, but the torque on the low end is quite good.

Also they have pretty good life. Expected around 400k and up. Of course with maintenance.

Whats up with the 1984 BJ42? is it a basket case or rebuildable? Thats the most desired BJ model..........and year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom