Died while driving. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and a new FJ80 owner. I purchased my 91' about two months ago with 240k on the odometer and has been running like a champ until it died suddenly while driving on the highway. I actually never lost power steering and the radio was still running when it lost power. I was unable to accelerate and had to pull over to the side of road. I turned the engine off and was unable to restart it. To make a long story short, I had it towed back home. I first added gas (thinking maybe the fuel gauge was busted), that didn't work. Next, I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter...nothing. I also looked at the ignition coil and EFI relay which put out the recommended ohms (per Haynes book). Battery is fully charged. I even used starter fluid to rule out any fuel issue. The engine turns over like a champ, but just wont fire. I read up on fusible links and looking into this next. Any suggestions would be very helpful! I really hate to take it in to a mechanic as I like to learn and do things my self. A buddy of mine suggested it might be the timing belt?

Thanks.

Checked spark?
Checked coil?
Checked distributor internals, cap/rotor?
No timing belt on the 3FE or 1FZ.

Check your fuseable links if the 3fe has them

Reactions: RFB
I had that same issue a few months ago. Merging onto the freeway and lost all power. Deadsticked it over to the side of the road. Fired right back up and never happened again.

Now everyone else can sit back and watch the action.

No timing belt on the 91'? Interesting. I have yet to check for spark, whats the best way going about this? No, there is no check engine light illuminated on the dash when the key is in the ON position. I have not looked a the distributor yet, although it looks to be in good shape.

Did you forget to add gas to the tank? More than likely a head gasket or lack of oem filters. You should do a complete baseline, unscrew the gas cap and drive a new land cruiser underneath it, tighten the cap and you're done.

Did you forget to add gas to the tank? More than likely a head gasket or lack of oem filters. You should do a complete baseline, unscrew the gas cap and drive a new land cruiser underneath it, tighten the cap and you're done.

Yes, that was the first step I attempted.

You should read Woody's rant in s-chat. :(

The rest of us need to just STFU while Jon helps him out.

To the OP:
Make sure you REPLY to @jonheld 's message each time, as it gives him a pop-up that you did and you will get much faster response.

Since I added his name here, he will get a message.

Check that the check engine light stays on while cranking. If not then replace the EFI relay. Also, mine died like this once and I found the contacts of the EFI relay were loose.

Another time mine died like this, it was the wire harness under the intake manifold had melted because of the EGR system. This part of the harness controls the fuel injectors.

How do I check the spark? Sorry, amateur here trying to learn. Thanks.

Wear a rubber glove. Remove a spark plug wire from a spark plug. Insert a screwdriver into the boot. Hold the screwdriver metal part close within a 1/4") to part of the engine block, bolt, bracket etc. Have someone try to start it while you are holding the screwdriver handle (with a rubber glove) while its inserted into the spark plug wire boot next to the metal part mentioned above. Sorry for the runalong sentence there. A spark should jump between the screwdriver and the metal you are close to. If you are feeling adventurous, do it without the rubber glove.

Is your CHECK ENGINE light illuminated with the ignition key in the ON position before you crank the starter?

No the check engine light is NOT illuminated when the key is in the ON position. The engine cranks forever, but will just not fire. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom