Desert --> Humid and Wet. What to Look Out For? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
My truck and I have enjoyed the dry heat of Vegas, but it is time to go...to Korea, where it'll be much more humid and wet. Although I never detected any leaks during car washes, I'm worried about them, specifically at the sunroof, rear quarter windows (3rd row seat), and the hatch. I have replaced the front and passengers run channels and rubbers because they were worn, but I have not replaced any of the other rubber bits and seals because they looked fine. Do you think that they should all be replaced, or just leave them as they are? Time is a factor here since I leave soon. TIA.

My truck and I have enjoyed the dry heat of Vegas, but it is time to go...to Korea, where it'll be much more humid and wet. Although I never detected any leaks during car washes, I'm worried about them, specifically at the sunroof, rear quarter windows (3rd row seat), and the hatch. I have replaced the front and passengers run channels and rubbers because they were worn, but I have not replaced any of the other rubber bits and seals because they looked fine. Do you think that they should all be replaced, or just leave them as they are? Time is a factor here since I leave soon. TIA.
Consider doing a Fluid Film coating on the underside as well before you leave to seal it.

I would replace the quarter glass weatherstripping and tail light bucket butyl. I would also clean and por15 or something similar the inside bottom of the quarter panels. I would also pull the rocker plugs, clean out well, let dry, and coat with por15 or some sort of good stuff using a wand for access. Also pull windshield, check for corrosion and treat.

I have heard of people getting rust issues just after sea transport so, if it were me, i think a fluid film treatment before being put on a boat would be a good idea. I don't think everyone gets those issues, but I wouldn't want to be one of the few that do.

I have heard of people getting rust issues just after sea transport so, if it were me, i think a fluid film treatment before being put on a boat would be a good idea. I don't think everyone gets those issues, but I wouldn't want to be one of the few that do.
This is true. My brother-in-law had his FJC shipped to Guam and it showed up with significant frame rust after being on a supercargo for 4 months. He ended up selling it to a local and bought a Nissan Cube. I don't want to be THAT guy...

Which part...buying a cube or selling a rust bucket? Haha

How long will you be in Korea? Maybe you should consider leaving it here and driving something else while your over there.

Do they even have infastructure that can handle a vehicle the size of an 80 series in Korea? I thought everything was miniature over there....

Either way, just make sure you don't offend these guys.

How long will you be in Korea? Maybe you should consider leaving it here and driving something else while your over there.

Do they even have infastructure that can handle a vehicle the size of an 80 series in Korea? I thought everything was miniature over there....

Either way, just make sure you don't offend these guys.

I'll be there for 2 years. I considered leaving the truck behind in storage, but it is unlikely that I'll return to the desert southwest. It is more likely that I'll end up in either San Antonio or the East Coast afterwards. As for the infrastructure, there are many driving Hyundai Palasades and SsangYong Rextons--both about the size of the 80, but the 80 is anywhere between 2-4 inches taller. My biggest concern are parking garages--especially with a roof rack.

Nice video!

I'll be there for 2 years. I considered leaving the truck behind in storage, but it is unlikely that I'll return to the desert southwest. It is more likely that I'll end up in either San Antonio or the East Coast afterwards. As for the infrastructure, there are many driving Hyundai Palasades and SsangYong Rextons--both about the size of the 80, but the 80 is anywhere between 2-4 inches taller. My biggest concern are parking garages--especially with a roof rack.

Nice video!

Well than you better take it with you. I wouldnt worry to much about the conditions once you get there. I would be more worried about the trip overseas. Maybe you could contact the people in charge of shipping vehicles and ask them if they have any suggestions on preventing rust during the journey.

Hopefully you can take the rig on some cool drives over there and share the experience with us.

Goodluck with your journey and thanks for your service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom