Looking for tips on getting the rear shocks out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a cheap 1991 80 series and I was getting around to replacing all the shocks with the Tokico ones. The fronts were easy but the rears are giving me some difficulties where it has a bit more rust.

I can't seem to get the bottom bolt out and I may have made it worse. A 17mm socket wouldn't fit but an 18mm fit snugly. After soaking it with PB Blaster, trying to take off the bolt with the 18mm stripped the head. What should my next steps be?

I also have replacement bolts (2x of the 17mm and 4x of the 14mm).

PB blaster, heat, Repeat a few times. You're going to smoke the lower bushing so have a spray bottle of water handy to put it out. Avoid heating the shock, they go BOOM.
There's a stripped bolt head tool that grabs the head of a bolt, kinda like an inverted easy-out. They work pretty good. but you can't wiggle the bolt in and out a few degrees at a time to break up the rust and get the PB blaster in there, because they are "one-way".

Or you can drill the head of the bolt off and, remove the shock and with locking pliers wiggle the remaining shank while heating and adding ATF/Kero mixed 50/50 to threads (this is less flammable than PB Blaster, marginally) Keep fire extinguisher handy.

If That doesn't get you'll need to cut the bolt off flush, drill out the center with progressively larger bits until you can pick the rusty threads out of the threaded hole....I would avoid this if absolutely possible.

Last edited:
Irwin Bolt Extractor

th-2489395526.jpg

These things grip a stripped bolt head, rusted bolt head, or if the head has been cut off, a smaller one will grip the shank of the bolt.

Irwin Bolt Extractor

View attachment 3456575

These things grip a stripped bolt head, rusted bolt head, or if the head has been cut off, a smaller one will grip the shank of the bolt.
These and heat it up then cool down real fast wd40 I can't us pb blaster makes me puke let soak in then heat again cool down real fast wd40 soak then heat use tye above socket go slow if it starts to stop stop then reverse then soak and try and loosen. Don't break the bolt off or you won't be able to put the new shock on without more work.
Good luck
Tommy

Or weld a nut to the existing bolt head. The heat from welding will help release the old bolt as well.
I always forget this method! Doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom