Defective Timing Belt from eBay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While replacing my serpentine belt, my shop noticed a partial tear in my timing belt. The belt -- part of an AISIN TKT-021 kit -- was installed August 2020 and had since accumulated ~12k miles. Inspection after removal revealed a second tear. Both tears originate in areas where the belt's cord is exposed. To me, this suggests a manufacturing defect. Unfortunately, the eBay vendor I purchased the kit from is "no longer a registered user" and doesn't appear to exist outside the confines of eBay. And, while I've not been able to locate AISIN's warranty, I suspect its terms would, at best, provide for a replacement belt -- not the cost of repair (new belt + labor).

At any rate, it looks like I'll have to chalk this one up as a loss, but it could have been much worse. Moving forward, I'll certainly be more discerning when purchasing parts online and inspecting those parts before installation.

Tear 1.jpg
Tear 1A.jpg
Tear 2.jpg
Mfctr Stamp.jpg

never heard of a shop inspecting a timing belt that was just installed within the last year. Only inspection they could do is pull the passenger side cover and that only exposes a small portion of the belt. Something doesn’t add up here as @97 AZ LC mentioned.

Nice clean cut. I haven’t seen that on a failed timing belt before.... perhaps post #2 hit the nail on the head.

Other possibility is a counterfeit belt that was poorly made. I don’t trust anything on eBay anymore unless it comes from a Toyota dealer

While replacing my serpentine belt, my shop noticed a partial tear in my timing belt. The belt -- part of an AISIN TKT-021 kit -- was installed August 2020 and had since accumulated ~12k miles. Inspection after removal revealed a second tear. Both tears originate in areas where the belt's cord is exposed. To me, this suggests a manufacturing defect. Unfortunately, the eBay vendor I purchased the kit from is "no longer a registered user" and doesn't appear to exist outside the confines of eBay. And, while I've not been able to locate AISIN's warranty, I suspect its terms would, at best, provide for a replacement belt -- not the cost of repair (new belt + labor).

At any rate, it looks like I'll have to chalk this one up as a loss, but it could have been much worse. Moving forward, I'll certainly be more discerning when purchasing parts online and inspecting those parts before installation.

View attachment 2553297View attachment 2553298View attachment 2553299View attachment 2553300
That’s definitely not a tear in the belt. That was CUT!

For reference, here’s a timing belt that broke (not mine, not a 2uz, but for illustrative purposes):
5A9B36DF-22C1-411A-B754-D62981302864.png

Last edited:
"MITSUBOSHI" is the OEM belt supplier to Toyota, but the belt teeth and color looks odd. I think its been posted a lot lately that there's a fair amount of counterfeit parts being sold on Amazon and eBay. Since seller is NLA- that might be an indicator.

I would reach out to MITSUBOSHI North America tech support and send them pictures and inquire about a replacement or to know if its grey market part. Maybe they can discern that cut.

MITSUBOSHI: Homepage | MBL(USA) Corporation - http://www.mblusa.com

I thought it was curious that they (a) had access to the timing belt for the serpentine belt replacement and (b) that the portion that was visible happened to be cut. But when I had a look at the timing belt after removal, I noticed the exposed cord and figured that to be the culprit. I've been to this shop (recommended on mud) on-and-off for the last 4-5 years and haven't had any real issues. That said, this particular tech is new to me. I suppose I gave him the benefit of the doubt. In hindsight, I should have consulted you all prior to repair -- obviously some questions I should have asked. Per Abuck, I'll reach out to Mitsuboshi for their input. I've attached a picture that the tech sent me before I approved the timing belt replacement, as well as a closeup of another section of exposed, but intact cord. Is the yellow paint unusual?

I also found that the company that sold it appears to have been a subsidiary of a parts distributor out of CA. Of course, both phone lines are disconnected.

IMG_2205 1.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

You may want to speak to the tech face-to-face and ask why he removed the timing belt cover in the first place, but not in an accusatory of direct way.

Failures happen, that is why statistics exist ... but the mode of failure combined with the method of discovery add up to raised eyebrows.

Whoa. On the innocent side of things, could be the result of a careless box cutter during package opening.
Potentially, but .....

1. If it was that bad before installation, for shame on the installer.
2. If it was a tiny cut that grew, it would have grown in a tearing/shearing fashion. Back to #1

Speculation may only make the OP nervous, so we should stop and let him get more info. But, speculation is a lot of fun on the interwebz and it is hard to resist.

I agree - This is step #1. There’s absolutely no reason to even touch any of the TB covers when swapping the serp belt. Why was he fishing around?

IF they have time it's pretty common for shops to try and 'up-sale' a repair. They will inspect things that are mostly already visible (brake pads, hoses, belts, shocks, etc....) but in some cases might dig a little deeper if there is money to be made.

But I must agree with others in this case....it seems odd that the timing belt was inspected AND that the tear/cut/failure just happened to be visible in that small area. Also the failure point doesn't appear to be a 'tear' since the cords run the long direction of the belt and would normally be frayed if torn apart.

Who knows...though. A cheap/counterfeit part might do anything. Because of the location and labor involved to change out the timing belt, water pump and associated parts, I made it a point to purchase from a dealer. Cost was higher than a 'kit' I might have found....but I am fairly confident I got legitimate parts.

TB parts1.jpg

Last edited:
The cuts are located between sprockets- Thread#9. That's the easiest place to make a sharp cut without making any bruises on anything else.

My Cousin took his Pathfinder to a shop and after coming home he found out a Power Steering leak. A close inspection saw a sharp cut on the fluid return line!

Good input/insights all around, gents. I've sent photos of intact sections of belt and purported manufacturer's stamp to Mitsuboshi engineering dept. for eval. Once I have a response, I'll turn my focus to the shop. Making matters worse, I suddenly have a coolant leak (appears to be from lower hose). I noticed that he replaced upper hose clamps with screw-type -- will try and pinpoint source of leak this afternoon. Will report back.

I noticed that he replaced upper hose clamps with screw-type -- will try and pinpoint source of leak this afternoon. Will report back.
No good deed goes unpunished, as they say

I noticed that he replaced upper hose clamps with screw-type -- will try and pinpoint source of leak this afternoon. Will report back.
THAT is the source of the leak...Throw the worm-drive clamps in the trash and demand OEM constant-tension clamps.

Here are pics of a new Mitsuboshi timing belt from the Aisin TKT-021 kit. Just removed from the sealed bag.

There are two teeth that look different from the others. The internal cords are at the surface of the tooth instead of embedded. I would guess that, during the manufacturing process, those are the two places where the cords are physically held inside the mold before overmolding the rubber.

Looking at the belt edge, however, the embedded fibers looks continuous and undisturbed.

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom