Defective Timing Belt from eBay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like it's a normal feature however disconcerting it may appear

you are correct, totally normal ive seen it on every t-belt that ive replaced. its where both ends of the belt come together.

the only time that ive seen cuts on the belt are when the retainer plate gets reinstalled backwards or the water pump starts to fail but even then its not a cut across the belt its more like the belt gets chewed up on the edge where the damage is occurring.

also a little weird to pull the timing cover doing the drive belts but i have done that on cars that were up in mileage and no replacement sticker just to take a peak and see how it looked,

Location of "Deep East Texas" checks out. Haha.

I signed up for a carry conceal class or newsletter or something in college. Permanent address was my folk's place. They were not pleased to get NRA mailers every so often. I didn't get the big deal, but some folks get pretty riled up over those three letters.

Hilarious…the same thing happened to me right out of college and NRA sent my folks mailers for well over a decade.

Looks like one rip to me. Two pictures of same rip.
It's actually two rips. The post-1 has the rip right on the notch/joint/thread and the post-9 shows another cut between notches.

The new fluid leak appeared to be a combination of oil and coolant. Sure enough, the oil cooler hose was leaking like a sieve. Safe to assume that this new leak is merely due to non-OEM clamp? Oil is still at full.

IMG_2224.jpg
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg

This gets even more interesting as more information comes out.
Did the shop that did your tbelt originally then also replace your fan bracket and second serp belt?

No. The shop that replaced the tbelt is different from the one that replaced the serp.

It's actually two rips. The post-1 has the rip right on the notch/joint/thread and the post-9 shows another cut between notches.

I reexamined the tbelt -- one rip/slice. Which is interesting because the tech told me that after he removed the belt, he found a second rip/slice.

I hadn't thought of this, but I could absolutely see this being motivation for some foul play. People are extra crazy recently. :cautious:

No political stickers, though I do have an American flag decal. If that motivates a bad act, I give up.

No political stickers, though I do have an American flag decal. If that motivates a bad act, I give up.

That would be more than enough for some individuals these days.

You could probably get away with clubbing a baby seal easier.

I'm having trouble following the chain of events, but I wish you the best.

I vote for slapping on a "nuke the gay whales for Jesus" sticker and DIYing.

Or, I suppose you could just take it to a better shop. Isn't OTRAMM in you neck of the woods?

The new fluid leak appeared to be a combination of oil and coolant. Sure enough, the oil cooler hose was leaking like a sieve. Safe to assume that this new leak is merely due to non-OEM clamp? Oil is still at full.

View attachment 2557094View attachment 2557097View attachment 2557098

No. The shop that replaced the tbelt is different from the one that replaced the serp.

I reexamined the tbelt -- one rip/slice. Which is interesting because the tech told me that after he removed the belt, he found a second rip/slice.

Seen that leak many times, after dealership or indy shop repair. They use SAE size hose cut to length. Rather than waiting on OEM to be shipped in.

If not OEM I'd replace both hose(s) and clamps with OEM.

Oil may have washed in from spillage around oil filter area.

It looks like a cut to me. Maybe accidental. But a cut just the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom