Death Valley trip Nov. 17 - 20 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We just got back from DV and I can offer a bit of info.

First, the camp I discussed with Brent near Rhyolite is great. Only room for 4-5 trucks at the rock wall corral though. Strozzi Ranch Camp has more room and is 200 yards further up the main canyon. I camped under the rock overhang and it was warm, still, and we had a great fire in the fire ring that warmed the whole carved out area.

The scary bridge in south park is indeed still closed to "full sized vehicles". We drove down to the bridge from above and it's signed on both ends with very unambiguous signs. So if you attempt it and get reported, you will be cited. It's too bad. There had been reports floating around that the bridge was back opened, but it isn't. Camping up in South Park itself was great. We were the only people in the entire Middle Park/South Park system. It will be cold and windy there for sure. We came in through Pleasant Canyon/Rogers Pass, then the Ridge route along the east side to South Park. It's steep in spots!

The Pleasant Canyon trail now has 2 ways to access it. The new way is the better way-up the road from Ballarat, slight left, up and over a range of hills, descend on shelf road back into Pleasant Canyon. Easy. The original route is CLOGGED with willows where the spring is. It's nasty and we did it, but it's terrible. Trust me.

Warm Springs canyon to Butte valley was reported to have big wash outs. This is basically just a rumor. It's rougher than usual, not washed out badly, and the usual bad wash out spot was clear. There are some deep truck flipping ruts in Butte Valley. Keep the trailers out of those, otherwise no problem. The road up to Mengel Pass is reasonably difficult. I don't know the skill level of your group, but it's OK, just a couple of big boulders on the trail and 1 significant off-camber spot. Once over the Pass, there are several wash outs, and then some trail rerouting in the canyon below Barker Ranch. One is narrow and off camber-careful with trailers there, but no real problem. The lower canyon steps are filled in and it's basically a highway this year. That spot ranges from nothing to 10 foot waterfall steps. Right now, it's great.

Saline Valley road is really washed out in places. From the south it's OK until the top of South Pass. As you descend Grape Vine Canyon, it gets nasty. Almost impassable. There are very deep washouts and I'm not sure you could get trailers down. Set up trucks is not a problem, but the deep short wash outs will be interesting.

We did not attempt Hunter-the beginning looked about like normal. It was snowing there 2 days ago, and I suspect it's closed at this point.

We came out of Saline Valley through Steel Pass. From the springs to the top, route finding is harder than I've ever seen it. Lots of wash outs, but still faint traces of trail here and there. Someone marked a lot of it with red ribbon tape that was generally on the best route. Steel Pass itself and Dedeckera Canyon are about like normal.

We didn't have time for Lippencott, however, we met 2 guys that went down it in a Subaru, so I assume it's about like it usually is.

In park service language, "closed" means you can try it, "impassable" means don't go there.

Good luck with your trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed update Andy!! Appreciate the news.

If there's still someone waiting to get in on this trip go ahead and let them have our spot. I've tried to get work off and it's not happening. Have fun, I'll be looking forward to the trip report and pictures.

If there's still someone waiting to get in on this trip go ahead and let them have our spot. I've tried to get work off and it's not happening. Have fun, I'll be looking forward to the trip report and pictures.

Sorry you won't be able to make it Nathan. I will open up your spot for anyone interested in going.

Thanks for the trip report Andy.

I was there over the weekend as well. Met a guy at the racetrack who camped up on hunter mtn Friday night when it was snowing he said it only got a dusting and was fine in his stockish tundra with popup. He said hidden valley had deep sand but was passable.

It got down to 24 degrees at homestake dry camp, so be prepared for that.

I was there over the weekend as well. Met a guy at the racetrack who camped up on hunter mtn Friday night when it was snowing he said it only got a dusting and was fine in his stockish tundra with popup. He said hidden valley had deep sand but was passable.

It got down to 24 degrees at homestake dry camp, so be prepared for that.

Thanks for the update. I think we are all prepared for sub freezing temps! :eek: All I know is that my INTI rack is loaded with a lot of wood!

Had one more rig that needed to drop out. 2 open spots if anyone is interested in going.

First post updated with open spots.

Chains should be here Thursday. Ham/CB installed should be good to go. No OzTent this trip :crybaby: gonna have to rough it in my RTT :p.

Been out there a bunch of times over the years over Thanksgiving weekend. A beautiful place during this time of year for sure. I'd be extra careful with snow on Hunter Mtn and dress warm! Have a great time fellas!

Chains should be here Thursday. Ham/CB installed should be good to go. No OzTent this trip :crybaby: gonna have to rough it in my RTT :p.

Rub it in - not looking forward to pitching and taking down the monster condo tent every night. Need my 2nd row seats in this trip, but still have the drawer extension that bolts on the end of the drawer and sits atop the 2nd row seat for a sleeping platform. May use that to sleep in the truck if we hit camp late or need to bug out early.

Glad you got both radios in - you've been busy!

I need chains???

The NPS recommends carrying chains during the winter for Hunter Mtn and South Pass as these trails can become closed due to ice and snow.

That being said it looks like there has not been enough snow yet to require chains. There is a 20% chance of rain tomorrow and 20% chance of snow Friday so conditions could change.

I'm jealous of you guys. Have fun out there. Can't wait to see the trip pics and reports.

Also, keep an eye out for a group of 100-series Cruisers that are going to be out there this weekend too. Really good group of guys (we did Mojave Road with some of them last month).

Enjoy!

Great trip! Here are a few picts...

IMG_1583 copy.jpg

IMG_1589 copy.jpg

IMG_1605 copy.jpg

IMG_1583 copy.jpg

IMG_1589 copy.jpg

IMG_1605 copy.jpg

Had a great time guys! Will try and post up some more pics in a few days when I have some time to go through the 200 I took.

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom