Date code carb identification (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tlcperformance.com
This is the first in a series of threads regarding how to identify production date of various Cruiser components.

Toyota (Aisan) carburetors from ~1963-present have a date code stamped on them.

It is stamped in small letters on the top front of the carb.

The format is Y M DD. Y is the last digit of the year (4=1964,1974,1984...), M is a letter of the alphabet corresponding sequentially to the month (A=jan, B=feb,...), and DD is the numeric day of the month.

Aisan throttle bodies on EFI vehicles have the same date code.
OEM fuel pumps also use the same date code.

Carbs prior to approx. 1963 have a funky letter code that I have not yet been able to make sense of. Anybody?:confused:

Pics to follow.

Here is a January 20th, 1976 carb.

It is stamped 6 A 20

We know it is a 2F carb because of the vac secondary design, so it has to be 1975-1987.
We know it is from the 1970's because of the simple design and tall insulator block.

Therefore, 6= 1976.
small76.JPG

Here's a 1987 carb. Note that the stamping location is changed from top surface to front edge of air horn. The location changed about 1979.

The code translates to 1986 October 1st. That means the truck is registered as a 1987 model year.
small86.JPG

Here is a typical 70-74 F carb.

The code is 4 K 6.

Translates to 1974 Nov 6th.

The carb was built in 1974, but it is a 1971 model, because it has a part #tag of 60202, and had cable linkage and no fuel return line.
small74.JPG

Sooo, is this a 70 or an 80 carb??
Never mind, I see that they changed locations..

I think it has manual secondaries..

attachment.php

Mechanical secondaries?

So, I have a 5 H 2. what's H mean?
my cruiser is a late 72, with a 2F. the carb is Aisan, 2bbl, cable linkage

Very helpful thread, thank-You.
Quick question, did Toyota use the same numbering method on the intake manifolds ?
Alan

So, I have a 5 H 2. what's H mean?
my cruiser is a late 72, with a 2F. the carb is Aisan, 2bbl, cable linkage

It means that your carburetor was made in the 5th year of SOME decade [1975 OR 1985] on the 2nd day of the H/8th month. If is still a cable linkage, mechanical secondary model, then chances are it was made as an OE replacement for the '72.
The carb will look identical to the one originally on the truck except for the size of the diaphram on the throttle positioner, depending on how far down the road it was reproduced. Also, the material and thickness of the sight glass changed.

This is the weakness of relying solely on the code system: a build date is NOT an application date.

Best

Mark A.

If you find this information useful, you are welcome to hit the like button.😉

Last edited:
I should have mentioned the carb is sitting on a 2F. and yes, cable linkage (which broke recently at the pedal bead)

anyway could I look up block numbers and find when it was casted?

I should have mentioned the carb is sitting on a 2F. and yes, cable linkage (which broke recently at the pedal bead)

anyway could I look up block numbers and find when it was casted?

Yes, SOR has that info, and so does the sticky post at the top of this forum...

The block casting date is on the LH side of the block toward the rear.

Head casting date is on the top surface of the head, straddling the casting no.

I have a donor carb I'm trying to get fixed to fit my '77. The carb number has long since disappeared. The date stamp on the air horn is: OSI-5 E 27
Am I correct that it is a carb produced in 1975, May 27th?
Gary

This is the first in a series of threads regarding how to identify production date of various Cruiser components.

Toyota (Aisan) carburetors from ~1963-present have a date code stamped on them.

It is stamped in small letters on the top front of the carb.

The format is Y M DD. Y is the last digit of the year (4=1964,1974,1984...), M is a letter of the alphabet corresponding sequentially to the month (A=jan, B=feb,...), and DD is the numeric day of the month.

Aisan throttle bodies on EFI vehicles have the same date code.
OEM fuel pumps also use the same date code.

Carbs prior to approx. 1963 have a funky letter code that I have not yet been able to make sense of. Anybody?:confused:

Pics to follow.

Appreciate this thread!

Just an observation and potentially a contribution to this thread. I pulled all the carbs of the shelf.

Here are the carbs I ran through:
Carb 1: 7 J31 - Jan 31, (1977 or 1987, I believe it to be 77 as it is stamped on the top, not the side of the carb plate)

Carb 2: 1 D10 - April 10, 1981

Carb 3: 8 L4 - December 4, 1978

Carb 4: 8 B16 - February 16, 1978

Carb 5: 2 L10 - December 10, 1982

To me it seems that the 70's carbs had them stamped on the top and the 80's forward have them stamped on the side. Just an observation.
East Seattle-20130718-01598.jpg
East Seattle-20130718-01601.jpg
East Seattle-20130718-01602.jpg
East Seattle-20130718-01604.jpg
East Seattle-20130718-01605.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom