Darien Gap Jungle Expedition (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

.. ferry "the San Blas" that goes from Colon to Cartagena - this 'ferry' is a myth and doesn't exist...
Not a myth - I've been on it, however it did stop few mths after our sail and don't know regd. "coming back"

Everything that I've read indicates that it operated for a short period of time and then was discontinued, and that there are no plans to resurrect it.

Yep - the San Blas has been a major discussion on the Pan American Travelers Association (on FB).......I wouldn't hold my breath. There are a number of issues it seems with boat (there isn't one) and operating license (there isn't one), etc.........everyone going that route (Panama to Columbia) is making alternative arrangements using containers (often). Every now and again there is some rumour, but in the last two years it always is just that: a rumour with no substance. It did exist at one point but is not currently operational. PATA has many many posts on this subject if you're having trouble sleeping

Change of plans guys! We have our new vehicles for the trip!!! And only $8.44 including shipping!

DGJ.jpg

upload_2016-2-16_15-10-23.png

Last edited:
If that's your rig, here's your crew:

jesus-action-figure.jpg
HAHAHA!!! Not sure if that's a poke at Jeeps or the toy... In either case, that's damn funny!

What mods do you plan to your truck before the trip. What size tires?
Locked, 32x11.5, possible exhaust reroute to add custom fuel tank under to add capacity while keeping center of gravity low, additional skids, new bumpers and 8274 winches, custom frame mounted roof racks for spare tires and ladder tracks. I still need to add a snorkel. Probably going to replace all lighting with LED. Remove and replace my optima red tops with interstate deep cycle AGMs. Spent some time with Marshall Shepherd at Trollhole going over recommendations Saturday.

Last edited:
It was kind of a poke at the task at hand. Moses parts the sea, Jesus walks on it. You, however...
Yeah yeah yeah... Got it... What good is life if we all plod down the same worn tracks day in and day out and die in a hospital bed of cancer? There are a million things that could derail this expedition. Just like Mark Smith, the early analysis is disheartening, and there's enough project resistance and analysis unknowns to not appreciate the naysayers. I'm not here to argue if it's possible or discuss our odds of failure. It is obviously possible. I'm here to find brave souls who have always wanted to do this with their Land Cruisers, and won't be told they can't do something. We are here to identify ideas and ideologies for success in a forum of experience. This can be done. And if we are smart, utilize the experience from previous expeditions, maximize the use of technology, and are lucky, we can beat Mark Smith's 30 days. Mark, like the Marine that he was made it through the gap by attacking the challenges directly instead of avoiding them like others did. He improvised, adapted, and overcame. And we plan to do the same.

I don't have a 70 series, but often day dream about a Darien Gap crossing. I hope this expedition happens, is successful and that every moment is documented.
We are looking for ride alongs...

We are looking for ride alongs...

You have my attention... calculating likelihood of my 100 series making it home, financial outlay, time away from work, wrath of wife, etc...

You have my attention... calculating likelihood of my 100 series making it home, financial outlay, time away from work, wrath of wife, etc...
Understood. There's a lot of uncertainty on duration. I would like to beat Mark Smith's 30 days, but anything could happen and it could go longer.

upload_2016-2-22_15-52-17.png

Yeah buddy...

upload_2016-2-22_15-55-13.png

in late 2014 I was approached some Tico buddies who were very excited about the idea of a crossing of the gap, and researched/planned it quite a bit with them, these are guys who know southern PN well. After a lot of planning and guaro we thru the towel in. We figured mechanically it could be done with a few trucks, a lot of patience, and some entrepenural Kuna barge owners. But medical and security could not be not be fully estimated; the eastern region of PN is extremely hard hit with dengue fever. And, despite "we have FARC on the run” claims by Columbia and Panama, locals report FARC is very much in control of that area. We were warned thousands dollars of tribute will be required to get thru the gap and on to Turbo.

I know you are hell-bet, and have done a lot of reading, but keep in mind nothing says winning lottery ticket to para military (FARC) forces, living in a swap, quite like 4 well equipped Land Cruisers owned by mid class US citizens. We are planning a trip down to Cambutal and Guna Yala, (for Mola hunting), in December, maybe we’ll see you at frontier Sixola!

Last edited:
in late 2014 I was approached some Tico buddies who were very excited about the idea of a crossing of the gap, and researched/planned it quite a bit with them, these are guys who know southern PN well. After a lot of planning and guaro we thru the towel in. We figured mechanically it could be done with a few trucks, a lot of patience, and some entrepenural Kuna barge owners. But medical and security could not be not be fully estimated, as the eastern region of PN is extremely hard hit with dengue fever. And, despite "we have FARC on the run” claims by Columbia and Panama, locals report FARC is very much in control of that area. We were warned thousands dollars of tribute will be required to get thru the gap on on to Turbo.

I know you are hell-bet, and have done a lot of reading, but keep in mind nothing says winning lottery ticket to para military (FARC) forces, living in a swap, quite like 4 well equipped Land Cruisers owned by mid class US citizens. We are planning a trip down to Cambutal and Guna Yala, (for Mola hunting), in December, maybe we’ll see you at frontier Sixola?
Thank you for such a great post. Understood. We are hoping to connect with the right Senafront personalities. That will be one of my primary responsibilities. That said, best case, they drop us at the Colombian border where the real danger actually begins. It's clear that FARC operates well within Panamanian borders, but the Senafront knows the hot spots and where to avoid. I hope. There is much work to do yet, and many connections to make. I greatly value your post, and would very much enjoy continuing the conversation via private message and email. I hope to hear back from you soon. Allen

Last edited:
My company just asked me if I'd be available to travel to Panama to review the construction of a coal fired plant outside Colon Panama. The work would be 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off for 2 to 3 months. This would give me one month of time in country to visit Yaviza, meet Senafront officials, guides, and make connections for support through the Gap. All I can say is, God works in mysterious ways sometimes... Yaviza is a 40 minute plane hop from Panama City, and Panama City is an hour and half car ride from the job site. Looks like the universe is moving this expedition in the right direction.

Last edited:
upload_2016-3-2_17-46-43.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom