Dakota VS. Real Gauges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would love to hear opinions on this....I love our 76 FJ Restomod except that the previous owner left all of the old wiring and fuses under the dash while adding newer wiring and fuses for fuel injection, ac, etc. There are wires to nowhere under there.... I think I am going to have the truck re-wired completely the way it should have been done IMO. The original dash panel is immaculate. Although I am partial to gauges and a cool billet dash, I am wondering if a Dakota drop in gauge cluster that fits into your original dash would be a good route to go? I really do not care much about keeping things original, that horse left the barn back in 2012. I just want something that won't give me grief down the road, and that works well. My initial thought is, anyone can work on a dash with gauges, gauges are easy to replace, but with a digital Dakota not so sure about that. What do you think?? BTW, in addition to my original dash, there is a separate tach and water temp gauge to the right of the dash. If I go with aftermarket gauges, then I could still use these holes and perhaps stick a fuel gauge and clock there. And while I am at it.....any companies that will cut custom billet dashes?? There is one on eBay but their lack of communication is a stay-away warning sign I fear...THANKS!!!.....

PDF-76-20.jpg

PDF-76-42.jpg

Metal tech 4X4
Dakota is a great company to work with. The actual gauges are in the controller, if there’s an issue pull it and send it to them to repair. Metal tech 4X4 offers the blank to put traditional gauges in. Personally your truck would look better with a Dakota.
Thanks for the opinion. I just now saw it. I must have an alert toggle off stating I have new messages....anyway, thanks for the help!

Man that looks great. No doubt. One problem I face is what to do with the two holes left by the existing water and tach the previous owner decided to install (I take no responsibility for that move!!). If I go with the Dakota, I could put a digital clock in one hole...maybe an aluminum plug in the other. Really annoys me. That's my main argument for old school gauges....I can leave those two there and install a billet dash with the rest. What have you seen owners do with unwanted "holes"?!?

That's a good idea. No drilling either. I think they have some sticky adhesive that can be removed without destroying anything. Might be the ticket for one of those holes.

That's a good idea. No drilling either. I think they have some sticky adhesive that can be removed without destroying anything. Might be the ticket for one of those holes.

you could make a plate that sandwiches the dash to cover them and provide mounting surface for gadgets. The next logical upgrade would be sniper lol and you’ll need a spot to mount the display

Can you install another one of whatever that door is to the right? Symmetrically?

you could make a plate that sandwiches the dash to cover them and provide mounting surface for gadgets. The next logical upgrade would be sniper lol and you’ll need a spot to mount the display
Yes, that'd be a piece of cake relatively speaking. I really need someplace to hang the cell phone and this may be the calling I was waiting for!!

I was wondering why you chose the VHX over the HDX? I really like the way your tach looks. The newer VHX tachs don't look that nice.

it was the only one available when we bought it. We had some small changes done to the font and instead of an 8k tach it was changed to 5k

A15DCA80-DA50-4492-AB22-0BA3AC81F1BC.jpeg

Cool....I am going to see if they can still do the 5k tach. That is so much more practical for the LC I think. Thanks for all of your insight with this!

What was the cost?
The VHX runs $800 vs $1300 for the HDX. All the $500 extra gives you are bells and whistles I'll never use.......bluetooth ability to change the color/lighting, etc......really?? I'd never use it. Comparing the two I just can't justify the additional money. No charge for the tach either. Might ask about doing a 100 or 120 MPH speedometer instead of 160 or whatever it is standard.

The VHX runs $800 vs $1300 for the HDX. All the $500 extra gives you are bells and whistles I'll never use.......bluetooth ability to change the color/lighting, etc......really?? I'd never use it. Comparing the two I just can't justify the additional money. No charge for the tach either. Might ask about doing a 100 or 120 MPH speedometer instead of 160 or whatever it is standard.

The GPS speedo is worth the $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom