Dakota digital gauges dead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK – – can’t figure out what’s happening with my gauges.

Fuses check out good, the gauges are plugged in appropriately.

I’m not an electrical genius, unfortunately.

I pulled the Dakota digital gauges out, and heard some rattling. A few of the small Phillips head screws, inside the gauge cluster, were loose and rolling around. I reinstall them. Gauges is sI pulled the Dakota digital gauges out, and heard some rattling. A few of the small Phillips head screws, inside the gauge cluster were
loose and rolling around inside the cluster
I reinstalled them. Gauges still dead

Any suggestions of where to start?

84A4E76F-9F11-4444-9776-B44C110F2AD9.jpeg

First thing you can do (if the warranty is expired) is chase down the B+ (12v) and see where it stops. Start with the supply line and go from there. Also check the ground wire (usually black) and make sure it is really well grounded to the chassis.

Since you have screws loose and rolling around--would refer you to the Classic 'Claudia's Admonition'---"it's a ground issue"--make sure they are all back in their appropriate seats and tightened,with good connections(no paint in the way). Depending on the year--if the Cruiser is of '75-'79 vintage-the ground wire is never black--it is white with a black stripe--

Did you check that the Cat 5 cable is plugged in to the Display Panel and the Control Box, easy to swap it out with a new one if you suspect its damaged. Then as stated above check your 12VDC + and - to make sure they have power and ground respectively, after that it should power up. There is an ACC power and a Constant power supplied to the control box, make sure they both have power when the ignition is switched on.

Guys— I wanted to follow up and let you know what I found.

The constant power wire had a break somewhere; I fixed that, running a new hot wire, and upgraded the ground while there.

There is a constant red blinking light on the control box…. If it’s not blinking, you don’t have constant power.

All fixed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom