Da'40: The Baby Steps Forward (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's going to be difficult to paint the firewall with all the engine parts in the way. What's your plan?

Marc

I wasn't going to paint under the hood.

Not even primer? From the pictures it appears there are some bare metal spots. Is this the case? After you've put all that work into that beautiful motor, you're going to lift the hood to show it off and have the unfinished look of the firewall and fenderwells.

Why waste good money on paint to cover something that nobody will see unless you open the hood? How many times do you open the hood anyway?

-Mike-

Not even primer? From the pictures it appears there are some bare metal spots. Is this the case? After you've put all that work into that beautiful motor, you're going to lift the hood to show it off and have the unfinished look of the firewall and fenderwells.

Good Point - not to mention rust...

How many times do you open the hood anyway?

Mike, have you been to a meeting where a hood hasn't been up? especially one where a hybred or new motor is involved? he gonna have to pimp it everywhere he goes!:grinpimp:

Why waste good money on paint to cover something that nobody will see unless you open the hood? How many times do you open the hood anyway?

-Mike-

True, it's just going to get all greasy and stuff anyway. This way the engine would outshine the engine bay and the engine will really stand out for what it is ... a polished turd.

Mike, have you been to a meeting where a hood hasn't been up? especially one where a hybred or new motor is involved? he gonna have to pimp it everywhere he goes!:grinpimp:

Ya, but I only need to do that once. After everybody sees it, it will be old news, and most folks have already seen it.

I'm tellin' ya, a Voodoo Blue engine will be a hit at Moab ;)

Clear coating it was also suggested awhile back.

Da'Rat

Ya, but I only need to do that once. After everybody sees it, it will be old news, and most folks have already seen it.

Exactly. Keep a picture of the engine in the glove box (that thing has a glove box doesn't it?) and pull it out any time someone wants to peek under the hood.

Save the time and money you would use painting the firewall to do important things.... like getting the engine running!!!

-Mike-

what about some bed-liner material? you could paint it on at home and would help with heat...

Geez. How much more paint do you guys want? It's not like this is some kinda restored classic truck like a nice 80 or something. This is an old 1965 FJ40; a TRAIL TRUCK; not a show truck. :rolleyes:

-Mike-
Painted_Firewall.jpg

... it does have a beautiful, new brake master cylinder from an 80 though. :D

-Mike-

At least do something to cover the bare metal. I like the hand applied bedliner idea Rory mentioned. Then it won't matter what color you paint the truck since the bedliner stuff is black. Didn't Greg do that with the outside of his 60? Or maybe just some of the POR 15 (or whatever the number is) rust inhibitor I see mentioned a lot on MUD by people doing rebuilds and restorations. Spraying paint on will definitely get overspray all over the fresh engine unless you spend a lot of time covering and masking. And you will probably still get some, despite how well you cover everything up.

... it does have a beautiful, new brake master cylinder from an FZJ80 though. :D

-Mike-
(Fixed it.)

It has an 80 locker too. :grinpimp: And FJ6X badging and rear marker lights. The engine is not the only thing making Da'40 a mutt.

Brush on bedliner matl. Does it come in Voodoo Blue?

Exactly. Keep a picture of the engine in the glove box (that thing has a glove box doesn't it?) and pull it out any time someone wants to peek under the hood.

Save the time and money you would use painting the firewall to do important things.... like getting the engine running!!!

-Mike-

It doesn't have a glove box any more ... it's been modernized to a computer box. It's actually labeled a "pocket" on the pull tab. And yes, getting it running is most important right now.

I assured Greg yesterday I won't start 'er up without giving notice. No practice runs. I want plenty of fellas around holding fire extinguishers. :bounce: :bounce2: :beer:

Charcoal Canister Installed

You would think this was the way it's supposed to be. I tossed in a pic of the VCV on top of the canister. Ya, I could probably eliminate it, but it's there. There are four ports on this thing.

• One comes from the purge port on the cansiter.
  • One goes to the manifold (purge).
  • One comes from the BVSV.
  • The forth came from the air cleaner. Well, what port on the air cleaner? My solution? I grabbed one of those little air filters that fits on vacuum switches and put it on. Another undocumented solution to a problem.

Da'Rat
charcoalcan.jpg
charcoalcanvcv.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom