Da'40: The Baby Steps Forward (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry paps but I got put on a last minute "we needed this last week" panic job and I have to go in to work tomorrow :mad:

I kinda like getting time and a half though :D

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Engine is in! Thanks to Graham, Onur, and Mike M. for taking time out from their beauty rest. More pics later. :beer:

Jon
engine installed_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Picture-proof I haven't been a lazy butt!

PICS!
Engine_L_sm.jpg
Engine_R_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Power Steering

Power steering loop is now complete, with cooler.
powersteering.jpg

Last edited:
Voodoo Blue...

did you purposely use a cogged belt? or was that what was available?

and this is the PS from a 60? Did you get to keep the stock column/ wheel?

No Oil Pressure

Today I filled the crankcase and using Larry's dandy tool turned the oil pump to prime and lube the engine's guts. Larry suggested I hook up the oil pressure gauge and run the drill about a minute after it makes pressure.

Well, it never made pressure. I'm using an Autometer electric gauge. I know it had power since the volt meter on the dash showed 13 volts. I know oil was moving because I could hear the oil dribbling under the rocker arm cover. Plus, the oil filter was full and leaked when I loosened it, and the spot where the sender mounts also leaked when I removed the sender. Obviously it's either the gauge or the sender. I'm leaning toward the sender since I used an adapter and I think the oil might not have migrated the extra distance to the sender.

Either way, I'm closer.

Last edited:
did you purposely use a cogged belt? or was that what was available? And this is the PS from a 60? Did you get to keep the stock column/ wheel?

Belt: This is a recycled belt. Not sure of the origin, but probably left from Greg's engine. Should be a factory belt.

P/S: I used the power steering gear box, hose, and pump from an FJ60. Cooler is from Summit Racing.

Column: I'm hoping to use the FJ62 steering column with a mini-truck steering wheel.

Da'Rat

Last edited:
Hmmm. Seems like the sender should register pressure whether it's oil or air pushing against it. Did you hook up an VOM to the sender and see if the reading changes when you start pumping? By definition, if it starts leaking when you turn it on, it has *some* pressure.

Hmmm. Seems like the sender should register pressure whether it's oil or air pushing against it. Did you hook up an VOM to the sender and see if the reading changes when you start pumping? By definition, if it starts leaking when you turn it on, it has *some* pressure.

I didn't check to see if it pushes oil with the sender off, I just know there was oil at the sender when I removed it. Further diagnostics will require more hands. It was clearly moving oil so it should have showed something on the gauge.

Water Pump Idler

More progress after work.
idler_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Well Shoot

All systems are not a go. I'm getting a code 51 on the CEL. Enough for the day. Time to dig into the FSM wiring diagrams.

Jon

H55F Shift Instructions

On the cool side ...
Shifting_sm.jpg

Last edited:
The Brain Is Alive ... We Have A Steady Pulse.

We are just about ready for the beast to take it's first breath.

Heartbeat video (4mb)

Jon

Come on beast, let's smoke up the neighborhood!!!

It's going to be difficult to paint the firewall with all the engine parts in the way. What's your plan?

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom