D links on front bumper -- do you worry about screw woking out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Again, if you tighten the crap out of them, they won't fall off and aren't likely to be stolen. I had mine on for years in Tulsa of all places, no meth heads walked away with them. They were more interested in my catalytic converters anyway...

That might work in Tulsa but up here we get more weather than just sun :D
1 month through winter and you will be cursing to get them off. It's much easier to pull them out of my gear bag (at cabin temp), and throw them on. That and I like to keep my stuff looking half assed decent.

The cat converter problem isn't much of an issue up here yet.

That might work in Tulsa but up here we get more weather than just sun :D

Tulsa today.

image-1923518171.jpg

image-1923518171.jpg

I saw a jeep today with four of them somehow attached to the front spring shackles. Super cool, meh.

Haha fair enough.

It's -14C here right now and was above 0C earlier this week, and this is my front yard.
Shackles, snow, above 0C, and a refreeze don't mix. Well not much does really...

Sorry for the hijack. I fight with enough things, the situations I can change and not fight, I do. They stay in the bag.

IMG_00000004.jpg

I used to leave mine on the truck until I lost one coming back from a trail ride a few years ago. Luckily it didn't kill the family behind me.

Recovery gear belongs in a bag or in storage unless you're recovering. Mine are always at the ready in my tailgate.

I always keep mine in the recover bag, the people I see driving around with them on are usually the people that never go off road and just want the "look". Like 4dr JK's with 22" wheels and all the armour you can get at your friendly 4wheelparts. :bang:

The first thing I ask people to do when I'm run leader is to get their recovery straps and their winch controller out of their storage spots and put them in reach of the driver. Same applies to shackles and other bits that are essential and needed in an instant. Having a shackle on a bumper ready to go means you can hook on a winch and recover without a lot of fuss.

It really hacks me off when someone needs to get in a drawer in the back to get their recovery gear or winch control when not infrequently the tailgate can't be opened due to the terrain or the back of their truck is in a mud hole.

But, I agree that shackles on your bumper around town in everyday driving is very poor form. Shackles and hi-lifts seem to come from the same place as Chrome Jeep parts as they are frequently seen together.

the people I see driving around with them on are usually the people that never go off road and just want the "look".

But, I agree that shackles on your bumper around town in everyday driving is very poor form. Shackles and hi-lifts seem to come from the same place as Chrome Jeep parts as they are frequently seen together.

Hmmmmm.......

image-2706835635.jpg

image-2706835635.jpg

Bahahaha.

I did read the first perusal and I expected the same rebuttal from you. LMAO.

They match my truck nuts, perfectly.

Have no intention of replicating on the 80 since I don't think I'll need the gear as accessible, as often.

Heh :p

I keep them in the recovery bag. I actually lost one in Moab driving on a wash board road because I forgot to take them back off after the trail.

Thanks for the responses. I was looking at mine and wondering why a manufacturer wouldn't just extend the end of the screw just far enough to put a cotter pin or something like that on it. Seems like easy insurance to me.

It really hacks me off when someone needs to get in a drawer in the back to get their recovery gear or winch control when not infrequently the tailgate can't be opened due to the terrain or the back of their truck is in a mud hole.

This is a very good point, but the OP was asking about keeping them on the bumper all the time.
When wheeling, shackles and straps are readily available as they should be. On the road they are stored safely, but accessible.
I confess that I do keep a shackle on my synth winch line all the time, but the shackle is up against the fairlead with tension, so there's little chance of it working loose without releasing the winch line.

I don't have a pic of my front bumper, sorry. I have 2 shackles/ D-rings that I keep on my bumper. One loosens up and I have have a short length of tie wire through the hole in the pin and around the shank of the shackle. Another option that we used to use on crane jobs is just put a zip tie through the hole in the same fashion.

Another option that I went with on the rear is welding on some rings:
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Crosby and Van Beest both make "4 part shackles" in place of the screw pin they have a bolt, nut, and safety pin. They work very well just a little slower to install and remove but if you want to mount them permanently to your vehicle this is the only option as I would use as the screw pins can back out. I would also recommend greasing the threads so it helps keep out the road crud and moisture to keep them from freezing up.

Thanks for the responses. I was looking at mine and wondering why a manufacturer wouldn't just extend the end of the screw just far enough to put a cotter pin or something like that on it. Seems like easy insurance to me.

image-3171173442.jpg

Not a d-ring, but I noticed I lost something similar recently. Major bummer. To be fair, the pin for the hook didn't have anything to hold it in. It was a poor design.

image-3171173442.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom