CV axle recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shtbrwn86

SILVER Star
Threads
99 LX w/250k - I have no idea if they are OEM. Knowing the PO, they probably are original. If he had replaced them it likely would have been through the dealer like everything else he did.

Driver side boot is leaking from the inner boot, but no visible tears.

Passenger side is completely torn on the inner clamp. The clamp, and the boot material under it is still there and attached but the boot tore along the clamp and is no longer secured to anything. No idea how long it's been like this.

I have read through all the posts on CVs trying to find one that would assure me an aftermarket axle would be fine, but haven't found any. Given that they are both likely original, would it make the most sense to replace both axles? Can I just replace one side and reclamp the drivers side?

Options 1:
Order two new OEM axles

Option 2:
Order a new axle for the passenger side, re-clamp driver's side

Option 3:
Reboot passenger side and re-clamp driver side

Option 4:
Get a new outer axle kit for both sides

Assuming they are original, I would probably completely replace the passenger’s side with OEM, and just re-clamp the driver’s side with rolled-edge stainless steel worm drive clamps. IMO it does not make financial sense in the long run having a brand new outer joint mated to an inner joint that has a quarter million miles on it. Do it right do it once.

Assuming they are original, I would probably completely replace the passenger’s side with OEM, and just re-clamp the driver’s side with rolled-edge stainless steel worm drive clamps. IMO it does not make financial sense in the long run having a brand new outer joint mated to an inner joint that has a quarter million miles on it. Do it right do it once.

So there are no issues with having one new axle and one old one?

#4, rebuild them w/ OEM and new hub flanges.
I may have to go this route. Just spent $1300 on all new control arms up front and tie rod ends. Another $1200 would be a tough sell.

IMO it does not make financial sense in the long run having a brand new outer joint mated to an inner joint that has a quarter million miles on it.
Why? The inner joint rarely ever wears to the point of needing replacement, which is why Toyota offers a rebuild kit that replaces the outer joint and outboard tulip + shaft.

Just saw this tonight. Seems like a decent deal, especially with free shipping and no tax??? Can you return the core to any Toyota dealer? And I assume this axle (4343060040) will work on the LX?

1620366507467.png

I am about to pull the trigger on this today. Really need to get the LX back up and running. I am going to replace the passenger side axle entirely and reclamp the driver side (since it's not torn yet). then I will ATTEMPT to reboot the axle I pull out to replace the driver side. Also, any issue not doing only one flange at a time? Or do I need to do both?

One last set of eyes on this list in case I am missing something? Side note, I know McGeorge really packages their axles well. Would it be worth it to just order from them instead?

1622574599896.png

I think you definitely want to replace the flange on the new axle. For the other axle/flange you would want to inspect it to make sure it is not too worn. If both are worn you might be able to get more use out of the axle by replacing the flange although best is to replace the outer portion of the axle with new to get new grooves. You might want to also order the various sizes of snap rings since you want the gap to be as small as possible.

I just did the same and I also bought new hex nuts for the flange (90170-10039) as well as studs (90116-10201) since my old ones were messed up pretty badly

I think you definitely want to replace the flange on the new axle. For the other axle/flange you would want to inspect it to make sure it is not too worn. If both are worn you might be able to get more use out of the axle by replacing the flange although best is to replace the outer portion of the axle with new to get new grooves. You might want to also order the various sizes of snap rings since you want the gap to be as small as possible.
Thanks. Yeah I was looking at the snap rings. I was hoping to order the snap ring as soon as I get the axle so I can get the right size rather than order seven different rings.
I’ll take a look at the other axle but I might just rebuild the one I pull out to save a few bucks.

Thanks. Yeah I was looking at the snap rings. I was hoping to order the snap ring as soon as I get the axle so I can get the right size rather than order seven different rings.
I’ll take a look at the other axle but I might just rebuild the one I pull out to save a few bucks.
The snap rings are $2 each. I just bought them all (x2) because I wanted to getrdone.

The snap rings are $2 each. I just bought them all (x2) because I wanted to getrdone.
Dammit. Now I wish I had ordered them at the same time. Maybe my local dealer will give me a break on them so I can buy them in advance.

I am about to pull the trigger on this today. Really need to get the LX back up and running. I am going to replace the passenger side axle entirely and reclamp the driver side (since it's not torn yet). then I will ATTEMPT to reboot the axle I pull out to replace the driver side. Also, any issue not doing only one flange at a time? Or do I need to do both?

One last set of eyes on this list in case I am missing something? Side note, I know McGeorge really packages their axles well. Would it be worth it to just order from them instead?

View attachment 2691377
I've ordered a ton of parts from lhm and no issues. I had a tab broken off my radiator shroud and they took care of it.

I've ordered a ton of parts from lhm and no issues. I had a tab broken off my radiator shroud and they took care of it.
Good to know. Thanks. I ended up ordering from McGeorge. They were within $12 of each other but McGeorge shipping will get here a few days faster which is surprising given that they are farther away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom