Custom Cabinet Grade Storage Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirty Koala

SILVER Star
Threads
I posted this in my build thread, but feel this update deserves it's own thread.

Earlier this year, @fireball offered to build a set of custom drawers for myself and @Crusha, given the quality of his own setup in his 100, it was a no-brainer. We then spent about a month refining the designs,@Crusha and my designs were similar, but not identical. The drawers are made of 3/4" Baltic birch ply, Alegis 500lb HD locking slides and Vector locking latches. The wood is also coated in a satin clearcoat spray.

A few of the elements that I wanted in my drawers that I could not find in anything on the market.
  • I wanted a shorter drivers side drawer so that the ARB 63 fridge would be at a good height for both myself and my 5'1" wife to see into when opened.
  • I wanted an integrated fridge slide.
  • I also wanted a built in 10" subwoofer encloser at the front of the drivers side drawer.
  • I wanted a stow-away lid that slides out over the large passenger side drawer to create a solid counter surface.
  • Since I have a @LandCruiserPhil puma mount and puma, I wanted the drivers side wing to be shorter.
  • I wanted the passenger drawer height to be level with the 2nd row seat when folded forward and the bottom latch unlatched so the backrest can roll forward enough to be parallel to the ground. This created a solid level sleeping platform.
  • I haven't yet decided if I want to build a solid divider and shelf around the fridge, as it has pros/cons. I would like to be able to utilize the storage space above the fridge, but it means I would not be able to access the fridge contents through the side window or from inside the truck...not to come on that one later.
On my way down to GSMTR I stopped at @fireballworkshop in PA and we spent the next 7 hours installing the drawers (would have been faster if my truck was there to get some of the final measurements ahead of time.)

After living out of the truck with 2 of my dogs for the past week, I am really really happy with the setup. The 500lb alegis slides are butter smooth, so much more so than an ARB fridge slide.

I really like that the lock in/out slides are released from the backside of the drawer, and you do not need to reach around (that's what she said) to the side of the drawer to release.

The sleeping platform is very solid and comfortable with my exped mat on top. My Pit mix slept on the drivers side 2nd row seat and my Rat Terrier slept on top of the fridge ;)

I was wheeling the heck out of my truck this week, had fully loaded drawers, including about 150 lbs of tools, 100lbs of fridge and contents etc. and there were zero rattles of any kind.

The overall fitment and build quality are superb,@fireball totally nailed it!!! I couldn't be happier with the finished product.

Passenger drawer with lid creates a nice counter surface.
20150509_121758.jpg

passenger drawer storage, tools, spares and cooking supplies.
20150509_122033.jpg

Drivers drawer for partner steel stove/griddle, spices and more cooking supplies.
20150509_122137.jpg

Fridge slide out, puma mounted with short wing. Perfect for storing air hose and pressure guage. Makes airing up and down easy with everything accessible through the side window.
20150509_122203.jpg

Everything closed up and ready for bed...someone get that dog out of my bed.
20150504_000441.jpg

I have never seen nicer homemade drawers. What a nice finish and setup.

I have never seen nicer homemade drawers. What a nice finish and setup.
Neither have I, but these weren't exactly a home made job. These were made in a custom cabinetry shop by a pro cabinet maker.

Elegant.

It shows. Nice!

Nice. Add that to the list!

He is working on a set for his personal BJ74 right now. I'm looking forward to that outcome as well.

Sweet! :)

I really like the driver's side double drawers, one for the fridge and another below. I may have to consider a retrofit on my own sleeper system.

He is working on a set for his personal BJ74 right now. I'm looking forward to that outcome as well.
Yes, he has the carcass built and a prototype drawer.

Sweet! :)

I really like the driver's side double drawers, one for the fridge and another below. I may have to consider a retrofit on my own sleeper system.
I wanted to maximize storage space, without having to get a swing down drawer slide, this setup accomplished both and the action of the slides are awesome.

rocking!

so, how do you sleep you and your wife in here?

so, how do you sleep you and your wife in here?
I don't. This is my setup for solo trips (me and the dogs).

When my wife and son comes (he is currently 11 weeks old), I will bring more gear, either a ground tent or a trailer top tent on my M416.

For solo trips, where the focus is wheeling, it is great to be able to pack up camp in 5 minutes and hit the road/trails.

I don't. This is my setup for solo trips (me and the dogs).

When my wife and son comes (he is currently 11 weeks old), I will bring more gear, either a ground tent or a trailer top tent on my M416.

For solo trips, where the focus is wheeling, it is great to be able to pack up camp in 5 minutes and hit the road/trails.
sure, makes sense... i noticed you mentioned your wife but only saw sleeping for one, so i wondered...

maybe drivers or passengers seat, i don't know...

Morgan,

Thanks for the kudos! It was fun building these for you and very nice to hear how happy you are with them. I think you have a very nice custom solution that works great with how you use the truck. That's a good bit of the fun is figuring out how we each use our trucks and finding what will work best for our given uses.

One thing that I think is really nice about Morgan's setup is how effectively we tried to use every inch of space. Here's a photo of the big passenger side drawer box which shows the rabbet/stepped draw sides tucking up tight to the carcass, and the dadoes for adjustable storage dividers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431397371.128919.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431397435.615604.jpg

It looked good sitting in the shop, but nice to see those pictures of you putting it to good use out in the wild!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom