Cummins R2.8 in 2nd gen 4Runner

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by R28enginerdgirl, Apr 23, 2018.

1. absalom

absalom

2. Douglas S

Douglas S

Probably not. Skipped right over the 'V' in your post. Disregard!

3. PurpleFJ62

PurpleFJ62

Media:
    Very nice!! Lets see some fitment pictures!

PAToyota likes this.
  4. PurpleFJ62

PurpleFJ62

Media:
    No progress on this?

FJ73Texas, PAToyota and beno like this.
  5. PAToyota

PAToyota Keystone Cruisers SILVER Star

I suppose it is somewhat reassuring that even the pros have life interfere in their personal projects.

6. NOMO3SLO

NOMO3SLO

Hello any updates? Did you have to swap to a solid front axle to fit the engine? My engine is out and planning to use stock Rebuilt R150.

7. absalom

absalom

It's hilarious that Cummins has let this project languish. You'd think they make every effort to make these conversions seem as easy as possible.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  8. NOMO3SLO

NOMO3SLO

It’s been difficult to get information. Seems like they would have several builds going - maybe partnering with SEMA companies to create kits for the swaps? Is there a Cummins Repower team member out there that can give me more info on installing R2.8 into 1990 4RUNNER 2nd gen? this is going to be overland rig. I really don’t want to swap out IFS for solid.

9. PAToyota

Although someone affiliated with Cummins should have many more resources than the average person, I totally get having personal projects sidetracked by other life events.

As an aside, I met up with Fred Williams this past week and got to look over his TubeSock Jeep with the R2.8. He says it really performs well - both on the highway as well as the trail. Looking it over, it would definitely fit well in a Toyota.

10. R28enginerdgirl

R28enginerdgirl

Sorry, this isn't an official Cummins build, it's my personal project that I am working on in the garage at my house. While I may have more "resources" I do also have a life outside Cummins, trying to enjoy my summer and planning my wedding in two months.

That being said, I did get the transmission removed and am working on combining the AX15 with the R150 Tailshaft housing in order to use the stock transfer case.

We also did the first fit of the engine into the engine bay last night.
    First Engine Fit.jpg

It will be a SUPER tight fit, but the goal is still to retain the IFS. The current plan based on the initial fit check is to pull the body off tonight/this weekend. That way I can a.) get everything cleaned up since its covered in 20 year old oil and power steering fluid (which at least has prevented rust :cheers:) and b.) get the power train mounted to the frame along with IFS and steering components, then worry about "trimming" the body after. Expecting to need a 2" body lift, a front diff drop, and a modified oil pan. I'm starting with a different, aluminum oil pan (Cummins part number 5318048) that can be ordered through a distributor. This hasn't been checked fully by Cummins yet, but is in process.

One plus is the engine mounts I purchased from Axis look like they are pretty close to bolting directly to my stock frame side mounts in their stock location.

My goal is to have my build complete for Cummins Cruise 2018 (2 weeks after my wedding)
    We just created the official facebook event if anyone is interested. More details should be posted in the next couple of weeks
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2071379306457546/

Dprio34, Haggis, beno and 5 others like this.
  11. PAToyota

It's like they say - the cobbler's children have no shoes. Sometimes the hardest things to get done in your personal life are those you do for a profession.

I started watching the series the other evening. You guys are better than the pair that replaced Ian Johnson over at Xtreme Off-Road. :)

12. R28enginerdgirl

R28enginerdgirl

More progress! Body is off and frame is ready for cleanup

20180711_221705.jpg

20180711_221931.jpg

Haggis, Nostradamus and PAToyota like this.
  13. R28enginerdgirl

R28enginerdgirl

Frame is clean and started test fitting the engine again last night 20180714_183239.jpg 59905.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.