Builds Cummins R2.8 in 2nd gen 4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great to see it completed. I've had a chance to look over Fred William's "Tube Sock" Jeep with the R2.8 and talk with him about the conversion. It's tempting to put one in my '85 Toyota pickup. I'm interested to hear updates as you drive and use it more as far as how things are going six months, a year, and more down the (dirt) road.
If you've got an '85 pickup, have you seen this repower?

Yep, I'm familiar with Walt's conversion, although I haven't seen it in person.

Love your build.

Any updates?

just a question about the rpm target. if you could pick and choose, what would be the ideal rpm for highway speed that will give you good economy but still be able to pass someone with ease? I saw that gear ratio rpm calculator switches from efficient to performance at 2000 rpm but how gradual is that? because your 2700 rpm at 75 and still getting ~26 mpg sounds pretty good. Just wondering how much more mpg I might get sticking it in that efficiency band and how much less pep it would have

Which intercooler did you use? Dodge unit?
Did you use that 25 lb fluid damper on the crank to reduce vibration?

Love your build.

Any updates?
Sorry, have been MIA for a while. No major updates, both my husband and I have been using the 4runner as a daily driver and love it. Still getting mid-20's for fuel economy and no issues or complaints. We've got a fuel leak at the pickup out of the tank and my fuel gauge on the dash isn't working, so that will be the next project once we take the vehicle off the road for a little while.

just a question about the rpm target. if you could pick and choose, what would be the ideal rpm for highway speed that will give you good economy but still be able to pass someone with ease? I saw that gear ratio rpm calculator switches from efficient to performance at 2000 rpm but how gradual is that? because your 2700 rpm at 75 and still getting ~26 mpg sounds pretty good. Just wondering how much more mpg I might get sticking it in that efficiency band and how much less pep it would have
If I could choose, I would target highway cruising speed somewhere between 2200 - 2400 rpm. We've got a couple test vehicles that run in those ranges and the engines are a lot happier. Fuel economy is better and engine temps stay cooler in the vehicle that runs a steady 2200 rpm and it has some get-up-and-go at highway speeds but is slightly more sluggish when directly compared to our other vehicle that cruises at 2400 rpm. While the 4runner at 2700 is driveable, I don't like taking it out on the interstate for long periods of time if I can avoid it - luckily my commute only involves 4 miles of 70 mph driving or I can opt out completely and just take state highways at 55 mph.

Which intercooler did you use? Dodge unit?
Did you use that 25 lb fluid damper on the crank to reduce vibration?
We happened upon an intercooler that's used with the variant of the 2.8 engine that is used overseas, but finding something of similar size should yield a similar result.
No damper or any vibration reduction other than getting pretty lucky with engine mount geometry :)

We happened upon an intercooler that's used with the variant of the 2.8 engine that is used overseas, but finding something of similar size should yield a similar result.
No damper or any vibration reduction other than getting pretty lucky with engine mount geometry :)
So that is the same engine as the ‘crate’ engine that is for sale?

The R2.8 is a variant of the ISF2.8 used overseas yes, but is not identical to other products in hardware or calibration. It uses the same base engine as the ISF2.8, but has a custom shop order unique to the crate engine, and the calibration was also specifically developed and tested for the crate engine market.

Did you have to change the oil pickup tube along the bottom of the pan for this mod? Looks like it might have been moved.
Nope, the section of the pan that was removed was back from the oil pickup, so didn't have to modify it at all. However, the oil drain plug did disappear so the not-used oil heater plug is now the drain

If I could choose, I would target highway cruising speed somewhere between 2200 - 2400 rpm. We've got a couple test vehicles that run in those ranges and the engines are a lot happier. Fuel economy is better and engine temps stay cooler in the vehicle that runs a steady 2200 rpm and it has some get-up-and-go at highway speeds but is slightly more sluggish when directly compared to our other vehicle that cruises at 2400 rpm. While the 4runner at 2700 is driveable, I don't like taking it out on the interstate for long periods of time if I can avoid it - luckily my commute only involves 4 miles of 70 mph driving or I can opt out completely and just take state highways at 55 mph.

If you ever happen to have your tranny out maybe worth opening it and putting an AX15 5th gear. Being 0.79 you'd lower your revs by ~200rpm.

Looks very good!! Being that you are in Indiana where did you ever find a 4Runner with a chassis that clean?

Looks very good!! Being that you are in Indiana where did you ever find a 4Runner with a chassis that clean?
Picked it up out of southern KY, not sure where it came from before that. It definitely took some cleanup and repainting to hide some rust spots, but the original engine leaked every kind of oil imaginable so that really helped the front half of the frame stay pretty rust free :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom